SA3

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
supergo
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

SA3

Post by supergo »

Why did the sonic team people stop making the sonic adventure games?
:herocool: :cool: :darkcool:
Nothing or Nobody can save you from HEROBRINE! Exept for God!

3ds friend code: 1934-1171-3384
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Re: SA3

Post by PinkIceFox »

Because they wanted to.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
supergo
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by supergo »

well that's evil.

At the end of SA2B ,they said "for now rest well heros."
Last edited by Speeps on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't double post ~JmTsHaW~
Nothing or Nobody can save you from HEROBRINE! Exept for God!

3ds friend code: 1934-1171-3384
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Doesn't mean they had to make a third adventure game.

They had other ideas they wanted to make games with.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

The Adventure formula didn't completely end until Sonic Unleashed anyway. It was becoming a tired model and they moved on. In my eyes, for the better.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Rhys Coker (SB)
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by Rhys Coker (SB) »

supergo wrote:At the end of SA2B ,they said "for now rest well heros."
It said "But for Now... Rest Easy Heroes."

Back on topic, I don't know why they didn't make 3, but oh well. :I
Rhys Coker (SB) wrote:Goku then teleports us to the Great Wall of China, where we meet up with Knux, who we learn is dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts as he jumps straight into a tornado.
coolchao12345
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by coolchao12345 »

supergo wrote:Why did the sonic team people stop making the sonic adventure games?
:cool: :darkcool: :herocool: u cant get me :
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

The Adventure gameplay formula was boring, glitchy, and the only reason anyone would want SA3 is because of nostalgia, or maybe the 10% that want Chao again. SA2 improved it slightly. I'm glad they moved on from it though.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^10% wanting Chao? I would say that is on the high side. Of course, something a lot of Chao fanatics fail to realize is that a return to the Adventure Formula is no gaurantee of Chao raising returning, nor is it a pre-resiquite.

And, contrary to what all the SA3ers believe, the Sonic Adventure games had mixed reviews at best, which promted Sonic Team to experiment with other gameplay mechanics. Though many would argue that it was not until Unleashed that they struck gold with said experimentation and started to learn from what was done right and wrong with each game.

Of course, now that they more or less have Sonic's gameplay perfected, I would like to see them Bring Tails and Knuckles back to playable status and work on giving them unique gameplay within the same core framework. If Unleashed is the Sonic 1 of the modern era and Generations the Sonic 2, we need a Sonic 3 and Knuckles caliber game in that style that bring the Triple Threat to their greatest 3D glory.
XSonicX
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by XSonicX »

I actually liked adventure gameplay.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

the sonic adventure games have aged unbelievably poorly.

06 was basically SA3 (adventure fields, non-linear / non-"boost to win" action stages, multiple characters, intertwining plots) and look at how badly it was panned. yet, if it was released in 1999, it would have been praised as a nearly perfect game.

it's far too late for sega to do a direct return to sonic adventure.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

I'm pretty sure that 06 would have been panned regardless of what year it was released in if the game was just as glitchy and poorly built as everyone says it is.

Gamers aren't that stupid. If a game is unplayable in one year, it's probably going to be unplayable in any year (unless it's a remake and repaired). And since we're talking about a game being released years earlier, the quality would probably be even poorer due to less advanced technology.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I have not played 06, but the impression I have got is that it would probably be half-way decent if the loading times were improved and the majority of glitches fixed. As for how poorly the Dreamcast games have aged, that is largely to due with how dated their "realistic" styled graphics look a decade after the fact.

If Sega took the time to properly remake SA1/2 keeping the original gameplay and level design in tact while upgrading the visuals to be on par with Generations and fixing the major bugs that remain in spite of numerous rereleases, I imagine it would sell decently.

That said, even if they were to attempt another Adventure style game, calling is SA3 would be a mistake, as that would just be asking people to be overly critical in comparing it with SA1/2.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

edit: my my
Last edited by Sable on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

But just because a game has something in common with its predecessors does not excuse that game from its flaws. Assuming that the game would not have been panned in 1999 is even worse, because that implies they threw in a bunch of dated, unpolished game mechanics and expected it to sell. The game has a few high points, but with poor level design, faulty character mechanics that feel unfinished and make the game challenging because you have to work through technical issues, and just being a game that just generally does not flow, you would have to consciously ignore the bad for the good to enjoy the game. The bugs are a problem, but they're far from the real problems with the game. Furthermore, platformers were the AAA shooters of that time, meaning that being praised would not have been an enormous feat. Even Sonic Adventure did not hold up to games that proceeded it; its polish was lacking compared to games like Banjo Kazooie. It was regarded as a great 3D Sonic, but far from genre defining, and the same issues people had with bugs were panned then. The difference is that when you advertise a game as next gen, but players get more of the same, it will be panned more severely because the flaws are harder to excuse when competing mascots are getting better with time.

Though, recent games have repaired these problems drastically and I am sure we will not see them again.
Television romance "
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

edit: my my
Last edited by Sable on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

Oh I know, your post just inspired another train of thought. I agree, but I don't think its love comes from people who look objectively at the games, but comes from sympathetic fans. The reviews for the HD remakes admitted that when a game is played past its prime, it no longer has the luxury of having its flaws overlooked for being early attempts, and these reviews were pretty critical of the Sonic Adventure series having unrealized level design, flawed game mechanics design, and having aged poorly. The first two issues were recognized even in 1999, but reviewers at the time gave it a pass for bringing Sonic into 3D effectively. The game does have nostalgic value to me, but I tend to separate objective and subjective values when analyzing games, and having hindsight when I played them in HD, I could not enjoy the game nearly as much.
Television romance "
Rox64
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's OK

Post by Rox64 »

I disagree with the idea that the adventure games compare to 06. I think the fun I have with them excuses their technical flaws.
Don't get me wrong, I see where you guys are coming from. I just disagree.
As for SA3, I geuss just because they don't want to. They're not really obligated to make a game if they don't want to.
Because Roxes 1-62 died from failure to absorb the correct levels of sarcasm and weirdness.
Don't ask about Rox63. Just don't.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

therefore unleashed is SA4