Sonic XTreme Project!

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!

Do you think I can do it?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 18

mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Re: Sonic XTreme Project!

Post by mintdrop »

chaosnachochao wrote:I think anything can be accomplished if you put all your effort into it. If you really want it, Give it your all and achieve it. ;3
this basically o:
if you're telling the truth then good luck! im interested to see how far you get!
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Happiness and muffins. But mostly muffins.

Post by fieryQuantum »

Apologies for my absence. I have been hard at work, and so far, I'm stuck. I have Sonic showing on screen, though his movement sprites won't load correctly, so I have to reposition them. I knew something would happen when I changed code languages...
My Nintendo Network ID for Wii U/3DS: fQuantum
My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/supermarioman11/
My Skype: cameron.dilbeck
My twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/supermarioman11
My 3DS friend code: 3265-63962357
(15:55:08) fieryQuantum: I was literally freaking out to the point where I almost had a heart attack and died right there, which would have been beyond ironic.
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

I thought you knew the ORIGINAL language this was coded in. Why do you need to switch languages?

Anyways if you'd like some ideas, use a generic model or level design until you work out the bugs. A playable demo, even if it doesn't have a level that has to do with anything, is better than nothing.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme
this explains everything about the game
Spoiler:
(it also includes what apparently is a WORKING WIP (alpha probably?) version of the game with Sonic's sprites moving properly at the bottom of the page, so I have no clue what the hell this guy is going on about, but the download is beside the point - this message is just a note to mods so you know that it's there, the link is here for those who don't know about the game)
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

now i don't want to be "that" guy but the likelihood of this being true is less than 1%

if you can't screenshot (which is easily done with software like vvcap or even just pressing prntscr) then use a camera to take a picture of your monitor displaying what you've got here.
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

Tails Doll wrote:I thought you knew the ORIGINAL language this was coded in. Why do you need to switch languages?

Anyways if you'd like some ideas, use a generic model or level design until you work out the bugs. A playable demo, even if it doesn't have a level that has to do with anything, is better than nothing.
I had to switch languages because the modeling software is OoD, and I can't use it. So, I'm recoding in JS.

Thank you for the idea I'll try it.
(15:55:08) fieryQuantum: I was literally freaking out to the point where I almost had a heart attack and died right there, which would have been beyond ironic.
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

I need models. 32-bit 3D models...
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

WHERE IS THE PROOF FIRST??
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

Crash32 wrote:WHERE IS THE PROOF FIRST??
I need a model, so I have something for Sonic to run on!
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

You're lying about all this correct?
Seeing as you claim to have the tech demo, yet the one around the internet actually fuctions and has Sonic and a working level, yet you say you need a level and sprites and everything. You seem to be struggling with coding/spriting/modeling. You also can't upload a single screenshot of the files or ANY PART OF IT.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Gotta agree with Crash here, you've yielded an astounding amount of no proof of you even participating in anything related to coding, and are doing nothing more than wasting time and forum space until you do provide proof
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

Yes, I understand all of this, and I can see how you 2 would think this. The only proof I have of coding is a 3D checkers game I have on GameJolt called Battle Checkers. I need sprites because I'm completely re-writing it, and I'm not good at models =(
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

CAN YOU NOT EVEN TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR STUPID COMPUTER SCREEN
Pic. v2.0
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Pic. v2.0 »

This is way too ambitious. Wynaut try to make some of those crappy sonic games better!
(Not sonic 06 though. Nothing can save that pile of crappy coding)
Twerk

(10:06:43) Pic._v2.0: DUMP BUCKETS OF PISS ON HER WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING
(10:07:02) Pic._v2.0: AND THEN PUT HER HAND IN HOT WATER
(10:07:13) Dr._Roivas: pic is a fan of urine related vengeance
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

I would take a screenshot if I WAS CURRENTLY ON MY PC.

As for recoding a crappy game, any one in particular?
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

your brain

it's broken

it seems to be unable to understand that proof is needed when claiming to attempt such a ridiculous program
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Have you never heard of "Programmer graphics"? No matter how hopeless you are at modelling, surely you can at least make a barren plane with a few simple inclines for testing purposes until you have something suitable to show off so you can actually start recruiting a graphics team for this project, and if you lack the tools to produce such a basic test level, I fail to see what advantage switching to whatever model format your code currently employs has over sticking with the formats of the original assets.

The above is of course, assuming that you are telling the truth and that you have no way of converting the original assets to a format your code can work with.

Then again, if the model format your using is something generic enough, a google search should be enough to find plenty of material suitable for testing purposes. Not like you need a level from the finished game for testing the core gameplay engine.

You also, best I can tell, fail to mention what model format you need or what kind of scale you are working with, so even if you found someone willing to make some test levels for you, they would have no idea how to output something your code can work with.
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by fieryQuantum »

I mentioned in an earlier message I need 3DS Max files, .mdl, and .x files for models, I suck so much at models it isn't funny.
Last edited by Mamkute on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the above post. Since your post is directly following, it is assumed to be a direct reply.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

okay idea
if you don't/cannot upload a simple screenshot within the next 48 hours this is fake
let's watch as nothing happens

:cool:
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by mintdrop »

okay I think a lot of these comments seem pretty rude, this guy said he was trying to do something and all you've done is like, told him that it's obviously fake and that he can't do it?? that's not helpful at all, it's just downright nasty

inb4 crash says you shouldn't take my opinion seriously because I'm a "super sensitive crybaby"
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

no it's clear
how can you not see it

-seems to have no clue about 3d modelling
-seems to have little knowledge about coding
-hasn't uploaded any screenshots even though multiple people have asked for it
-asking us for resources
-not a single piece of proof, and this topic has been open for like 2 weeks
-there is a demo on the internet of sonic xtreme that is further in development then what this guy claims to have
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

>-seems to have no clue about 3d modelling

Same can be said of the vast majority of the population and a good number of professional programmers, not to mention that he admitted upfront that his relevent skill set for such a project was limited to coding.

>-seems to have little knowledge about coding

Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen anything to indicate one way or the other with his coding skills.

>-hasn't uploaded any screenshots even though multiple people have asked for it

Am I the only one who thinks uploading a screenshot is quite difficult when the forum lacks attachments? Or at least, a lot less trivial than some people make it out to be? Besides, what meaningful screenshots could he post if its really in a non-runnable state?

>-asking us for resources

Which I will admit probably isn't the most professional thing to do this early in such a project.

>-not a single piece of proof, and this topic has been open for like 2 weeks

Honestly, given the state he claims the project is currently in, I am not sure what proof he could provide short of posting the entirety of his non-functional code.

>-there is a demo on the internet of sonic xtreme that is further in development then what this guy claims to have

I would say switching to a different model format that renders the original assets unusable is a pretty good reason for one's code being in a less usable state. Despite the similarities between Java and C++, my rewrite of Micro Chao Garden from Java to C++ had my code in a non-compilable state for months, and I am sure switching model formats is a few orders of magnitude more complicated.

I have my doubts that he is telling the truth, and even if he is, he as a lot to learn about organizing collaborative fan projects, but I fail to see anything productive in constantly harping on his failures and assuming that they result from lieing.

For what its worth, the people over at Sonic Retro have produced tools for importing many of the modern Sonic formats into 3D Studio Max. Whether any of them could be used to convert existing modern Sonic levels to something you can use for testing, I have no idea. In general, while I doubt they will take your word anymore than anyone here and will likely be as unwilling to contribute graphics of their own creation to this project, you are likely to find more people willing to answer technical questions or point you towards helpful tools among that community.
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by mintdrop »

yes crash that gives you (among others) an excuse to be poop all over his thread and be general assholes??? I'm actually sick of the attitude of a lot of people here >>
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

yes it does
i mean what is stopping him from naming a few files or ANYTHING
he has absolutely no proof of this being real, and until he does i'm going to keep posting every few days
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Ravenyte wrote:yes crash that gives you (among others)
Stop beating around the bush and say its me. i am literally the only other person who has consistently posted saying that this is all stupid and he needs proof.
Ravenyte wrote:an excuse to be poop all over his thread and be general assholes???

I don't know about him, but unless your definition of "asshole" is extremely loose (which it probably is), then I doubt anything either of us has said falls under it.

You know what could qualify us for being assholes? Actually being assholes. "Haha, you stupid kid, you'll never make it." "I bet when you're done it'll be absolute ****." That kind of stuff is being an asshole. Not "Hey, give us proof" "You still haven't given proof" "How do we know you're not lying?", that's being skeptical. Again, I'm not paying attention to much of Crash has said except for the parts in my posts I mentioned, so I have no idea if he ACTUALLY IS saying this, but I know that he probably wouldn't say that anyways.

Now, let's go over WHY we're being skeptical:
  • STILL no proof. Nothing at all, no screenshots, no pictures of his work, nothing. All he said that could partway pass for proof is various coding file types and how he needs help with them, which isn't very hard to fake.
  • He apparently has made VERY little progress. After a week, it shouldn't be too hard to at the very least design a base for a model or something, especially if it's as small as an enemy. A prototype model for Rings, which can literally be made in 5 minutes with the correct tool, would work.
  • HE'S A NEW PERSON WE DID NOT KNOW CLAIMING TO WORK ON SONIC XTREME. Jesus christ, this is gigantic. How do you think it'd go if I went on a music forum for the first time and posted a topic about trying to recreate all of Beethoven's music in dubstep? Not well I can guarantee you that. And then, if I were this guy, I'd post no proof, except for saying that "I got stuck on the bass for one of the songs, I can't hit the chord right".
Maybe if he had posted before posting this about how he made a simulation chao game, or chose to make something simple like a freakin 2D chao simulator, or something, we wouldn't be bagging on him like we are, but he's saying he's going to take on SONIC XTREME, WHICH MADE THE ACTUAL PEOPLE THAT WORKED ON IT VIOLENTLY ILL TO THE POINT OF NEAR-DEATH, with NO proof, and NO progress.
Ravenyte wrote:I'm actually sick of the attitude of a lot of people here >>
Then leave, you aren't required to stay here, and don't give a ******** "friends" excuse. I have 5 different ways to chat with my friends don't go on here, and that's all on my computer. It isn't that hard to make a Steam, or Facebook, or Tumblr account.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa