Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
GSfan497
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2

Post by GSfan497 »

Many years ago I read a couple magazines and in a particular one I saw a new level that was supposed to be in Sonic 2, Hidden Palace Zone. But when I played the game, I couldn't find it. I listened to the sound test, but there was a song that was unused, #10, I listened to it, and it drove me insane. Why? I was trying to find the level everywhere only to find out one day over 5 years later, somewhere in 2002 or so, it was taken out of the final game. Why was Hidden Palace Zone removed anyway? Was that song in the sound test supposed to be it? Why did Sonic Team remove it anyway? The only reason why I'm bringing it in the first place is because the remastered version (Android/iOS) actually has Hidden Palace Zone. My reaction was all over the place when I found it, because I fell down the dreaded pit in Mystic Cave Zone and there it was. Did it really need to take 20 years to restore it anyway? Besides, the level design doesn't match the prototype pics at all. It just kind of bugs me that it took this long for it to come back.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Re: Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2

Post by ShadriaFan »

it was removed for both time restraints and that it was a test level. the song was indeed for Hidden Palace Zone. Don't know why they took so long to bring it back (most likely as a anniversary thing or something for the fans), or why it is different
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Sometimes ideas for game content don't make it into the final version of a game, and sometimes the devs do an incomplete job of removing the leftovers from the scrapped content. Its just a simple fact of life when it comes to Video game development.

That said, Hidden Palace isn't the only level that made it past the concept stage but didn't make the final cut and there are stages that never made it past concept. The most widely known Sonic 2 prototype(sometimes called the Simon Wai Beta) contined semi-playable versions of not only Hidden Palace, but also wood zone, and had empty level slots for Dust Hill Zone and Genocide City, which, if my information isn't outdated, never existed as more than a name and a few mock screenshots. Since the S2 prototypes that have been found include all the needed assets, there are several S2 hacks that restore Hidden Palace to the final game(though even vanilla S2 has more than the orphaned sound test entry left in it).

As for the new mobile releases of S2 having an official version of Hidden Palace, if I am not mistaken, the Android/iOS versions are build on a fan-made engine desinged to replicate the Genesis games, and the person responsible got hired by Sega. In other words, one of the superstars of the Sonic Hacking Community got the backing to turn a grade-S fan project into an official re-release. Had Sega stuck to more traditional methods of porting old games to new hardware, I doubt such an Easter Egg would have been added.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but if you want more details on how Sonic 2's content change thoughout its development, check out Sonic Retro. The S@ Simon Wai Beta use to be their chief focus before branching out and becoming one of the premier sites for Sonic Hacking and have quite a bit of imformation about the various S2 prototypes as well as prototypes of other Sonic games.
Ciao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: When life gives you lemons, ask for oranges.

Post by Ciao »

The interesting thing is, the original release of the mobile version of Sonic 2 was a straight up port. After Christian Whitehead proved how good he was at reprogramming games from scratch with the Sonic CD release, he was hired to enhance the mobile release too.
GSfan497
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by GSfan497 »

Ciao wrote:The interesting thing is, the original release of the mobile version of Sonic 2 was a straight up port. After Christian Whitehead proved how good he was at reprogramming games from scratch with the Sonic CD release, he was hired to enhance the mobile release too.
That, and someone recently discovered ANOTHER secret level called Proto Palace Zone. It uses the level design from the Simon Wai and Nick Arcade prototype.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Did anyone know that Hidden Palace is accessible in Sonic 2 Remastered on iOS/Android, in it's first official appearance?
Spoiler:
To enter the level: Fall into the pit in Mystic Cave Zone as Super Sonic. Instead of being trapped forever like the original game, you instead fall straight into Hidden Palace Zone. Alternatively, tap S-E-G-A on the startup screen (once the game itself is loaded, not the initial menu) in that order and swipe upwards with two fingers on the title screen (this method also allows you to access Sonic 2 settings in the Sonic 1 port, such as Sonic + Tails, Super Sonic, etc.). You can then access the level select menu with extra settings. The old codes still work too, except you have to go 1-9(hover on 8, but don't click)-9-2-etc.
Secrets and Cheat Codes like these... the good ol' days before DLC!
Christian Whitehead is doing some fantastic work here, if you haven't picked up any of his remastered releases, you're missing out. They certainly aren't just more emulations!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^Best repurposing of a frustrating level design ever.

Now if they come out with a remastered release of S3&K where the barrels of doom can launch you into the eighth Chaos Emerald's Special Stage, my ruined childhood will be justified.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:That said, Hidden Palace isn't the only level that made it past the concept stage but didn't make the final cut and there are stages that never made it past concept. The most widely known Sonic 2 prototype(sometimes called the Simon Wai Beta) contined semi-playable versions of not only Hidden Palace, but also wood zone, and had empty level slots for Dust Hill Zone and Genocide City, which, if my information isn't outdated, never existed as more than a name and a few mock screenshots. Since the S2 prototypes that have been found include all the needed assets, there are several S2 hacks that restore Hidden Palace to the final game(though even vanilla S2 has more than the orphaned sound test entry left in it).
Actually, genocide city is the reason metropolis zone is three acts long.

Originally, the zone was going to be used as its own stage and was made by Japanese stage designers who didn't have a very strong grasp of the english language,hence its name. The name was then changed to Cyber City Zone but was ultimately merged onto metropolis zone instead.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

I was gonna say stuff, then Jeffery Mewtamer literally summed up everything so...
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:The most widely known Sonic 2 prototype(sometimes called the Simon Wai Beta) contined semi-playable versions of not only Hidden Palace, but also wood zone, and had empty level slots for Dust Hill Zone and Genocide City, which, if my information isn't outdated, never existed as more than a name and a few mock screenshots.
Yeah. Heck, Genocide CIty didn't even have a mock screenshot. Dust Hill did though.
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

speaking of genocide city

why was a sonic 2 level named after mass murder
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

eboy wrote:speaking of genocide city

Bad translating mostly LOL.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Genocide_City_Zone
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

eboy wrote:speaking of genocide city

KeatonLabs wrote: Originally, the zone was going to be used as its own stage and was made by Japanese stage designers who didn't have a very strong grasp of the english language,hence its name. The name was then changed to Cyber City Zone but was ultimately merged onto metropolis zone instead.
MintChaosky
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by MintChaosky »

GSfan497 wrote:
That, and someone recently discovered ANOTHER secret level called Proto Palace Zone. It uses the level design from the Simon Wai and Nick Arcade prototype.
Do you know how to get into this stage? :thinking:
Yo.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episod ... e-too-slow

This might help you with info about specific info about Hidden Palace Zone.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere