Why does everybody think Sonic 06 sucks?

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Do YOU hate Sonic 06?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Re: Why does everybody think Sonic 06 sucks?

Post by KeatonLabs »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:H

Also, considering that time-lines getting written out of existence is a staple of time travel stories that aren't of the stable time loop variety, I hardly see how complaining about the sotry being retconned out of the main time-line stands as valid criticism. If anything, based on what I know of 06's story, the Heroes probably enforced the best possible timeline from those they could have chosen. Now, if you have valid criticism of the story told in the erased time-lines, that's another story.
Heres the thing, by itself this wouldnt be that bad. But the thing is, the story is very, verrrryyyyy bad. I'd tell you everything wrong with it but you can just watch this video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2Js6pSN6o

This is a review of sonic 06 which spends about 30 minutes covering the story
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Sonic Adventure is glitchy and can be frustrating at times.
Sonic 06 is unfinished and is almost always frustrating.

Adventure's scripted sections worked 90% of the time.
06's didn't 90% of the time. You can run into a loop and fall through it or get thrown out the side.

Adventure's open world acted as a hub.
06's was plain confusing to me when the game was new and I was younger. When you are constantly killed just trying to enter the next level, there's a problem.

Sonic Adventure introduced the standard plot of "gather emeralds to defeat enemy/Eggman"
Sonic 06 warped it into something that I still don't quite understand.

Sonic Adventure 2 introduced multiplayer and it mostly worked.
Sonic 06 had this, except with very few levels and gameplay that's twice as glitchy.

Tails' attacks in Adventure involved spinning and such.
Tails' attacks in 06 was throwing rings.

I'm no big fan of Sonic Adventure by any means, but comparing them only makes 06 look worse.
Palmpoa Commander
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Palmpoa Commander »

What really drives the final nail into the coffin is optimization. It is a bad looking game, yet it lags odd places. For example, the bell tower in Soleanna, an area with completely flat and empty ground, will drop 30fps.
Last edited by Palmpoa Commander on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

I legitimately like Sonic 06.
Not even kidding.
Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Post by Canpaw »

I like Sonic 06 too,
It's story is awesome, and it looks like the gameplay is fine.
a
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Its story is crap you cannot say its good because its not. Elise is princess peach but just as bad. Seriously thats all sonics plot is, save elise, elise gets captured again.

I do like sonics gameplay somewhat but none of the haracters have any weight to them and the control is incredibly tight, which works for sonic but shadow and silver god no.

I can enjoy sonic to an extent assuming im not dying through a scripted loop. But shadow's combat focus slows down the game and silvers powers weren'tfully realized.

Canpaw, its cool you like the game but please elaborate on how you like this game, this game has no leg to stand on.
Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Post by Canpaw »

Number 1.
The graphics are very well done.

Number 2.
I find the story to be very well done, it may contain some paradoxes, but heck, it's silly as heck, and I like it.

Number 3.
I watched somebody play Silver's story, and it didn't look half bad.

Number 4.
The lag isn't that bad most of the times.

Number 5.
The glitches aren't entirely game-breaking.

Number 6.
The difficulty is supposed to be there.

So, I have a reason to like this game.
a
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Number 1
No, they're not. They're quite bad outside of the cutscenes, most of the textures looking about 360p.

Number 2
Story is eh. The canonical love interest being human is weird. I guess its subjective here

Number 3
Silver's gameplay is arguably the worst of the 3 if you don't abuse glitches to get past. The physics puzzles are filled with glitches and issues and are a huge pain for anyone who wants to play fairly.

Number 4
Um, hello? The game drops below 20 fps at times, and there is no reason for it.

Number 5
Most of the glitches shouldn't even be in mid beta of a game, much less a triple A full release game. Not to mention that, again, a lot of them ARE gamebreaking and immersion breaking. Being able to stand completely upside down, falling straight through the floor that you are standing on, I'd call those gamebreaking.

Number 6
The difficulty would be okay if implemented right, and wasn't caused by faulty controls/camera and an unsettling amount of glitches.

Its okay that you like this game, but the reasons that you used for liking these games are either flawed or just outright wrong.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Number 4
Um, hello? The game drops below 20 fps at times, and there is no reason for it.
This usually happens at one crate breaking, tails throwing rings, an enemy spawning, sonic losing twenty rings.

Also, since the game runs of the havok engine, even the rings move when you touch them and bounce all around which is very annoying. Also, metal crates should not be able to fly.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Speaking of glitchiness and lag, is there anyone who has played both the PS3 and x360 versions and can comment on how they compare? Is one version noticeably less polished than the other, are they about the same, or do they have different types but similiar amounts of bad coding?

As for Tails throwing Rings, while I do prefer Tails's SA1 move set, I think it worth mentioning that Rings as a projectile attack was shared by most of the Flight Characters in Heroes(Granted, they only threw rings if they ran out of Team mates to throw, but it's still a carry over from a previous game). Still, everything I've heard about Sonic 06 makes it sound like the culmination of just about everything people have disliked about 3D Sonic.
g
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

From what I remember, the PS3 version was an attempted port of the 360 version, and the 360 version itself had absolutely horrible load times.

Also, it really is, plus lots of problems that wouldn't even be liked in non-sonic games. Silver's gameplay was literally just added in to show off Havok's "physics" engine, and it alone would make the game a catastrophic failure. God help you when you get to the egyptian level as Silver, because you won't be getting any other help during the ball-in-hole puzzles.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

this video sums it up really well, actually
language warning, all the stuff they joke about is really in the game
Lunar X Diviner VII
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Lunar X Diviner VII »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Heroes was the last 3D Sonic I played, but if the Adventure games are glitchy enough to be considered Beta quality, everything I've read about Sonic 06 would suggest it's glitchy enough to be considered Alpha quality. Granted, most of the flack the Adventure games get over glitches are ones either added in the ports or that weren't fixed in the ports.
As a glitcher, I'm jealous of anyone with the HD version of SA2. You guys got the best glitch (the Chao Key Glitch) (and this is relevent because it's an example of a port-only glitch T-T ).

Regarding Sonic 06, I don't hate the game. I'd like to play it more than the last few Sonic games that have been released, seeing as I'm not a fan of the play only as Sonic mentality or the overuse of boosting (or Lost World's ridiculous story- I don't like pointlessly silly characters..).
I can understand that the game is unpolished and should not have been rushed for the holidays. Honestly, that's the fate of most games on launch now, seeing as they can just 'patch it later'. (I'm not saying things should be like this, but they are).
This rushing resulted in a lot of glitches. Most minor, some annoying. SA2 and SADX had plenty, but I suppose they're mostly of the 'go out of your way to find them' variety. But in regards to clipping through floors, even the old Sonic games on the genesis had this. I mean, there are pretty prominent speedrunning glitches involving ducking then jumping in vertical scrolling stages in S3(&K) which send you hurtling through the entire stage. (and even is S2 I've managed to get stuck in a wall).

As far as 06's story goes.. it a story. I liked Mephiles vaguely. The retconning of itself hardly matters when you consider this game was supposed to be a reboot in the first place. Also, I tend to ignore all canon past Sonic Battle because after that they screwed up big time *coughshadowthehedgehogcough*
JDM3
Egg
Egg

Post by JDM3 »

It does look appealingly similar to the Adventure Series. However, the Final Fantasy-type story seems to be a sore spot for many. The glitches are pretty obvious in many parts, making certain things unplayable, and others awesomely broken (Silver with his flying boxes; skip pretty much everything.) Sonic Boom seems to be falling victim to the same critiques now, which is a shame that most can never see past a work's flaws.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Well, the flaws are kind hard to look past when they're glaringly obvious or impede a person's enjoyment of it, like crappy controls.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

JDM3 wrote:a shame that most can never see past a work's flaws.
The exact opposite of a shame, actually.

If we couldn't perceive flaws, errors, or what have you, then we wouldn't learn, evolve, and progress as human beings. We'd be stuck doing the same thing over and over again.

Chances are we wouldn't have had games like Sonic Generations if it wasn't for Sonic team looking at their past mistakes and trying to improve.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Albedo
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: I know all there is to know about Mario and Sonic.

Post by Albedo »

SONIC GOT FRIKKIN KISSED BY PRINCESS ELISE, I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED IT AND IT SUCKS, :darkangry:, SCREW U SONIC 06! I GOT TEXTBOOK NUMBER 6 IN MY MATH CLASS, I AM NUMBER 6 IN MY CLASS, WHY U NO LIKE MEH?!?!?!?! I'VE BEEN CURSED WITH THE NUMBER SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM A CASTLE CRASHER!!! ~ Pelter
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Albedo wrote:I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED IT AND IT SUCKS
Invalidates your entire post