Why does everybody think Sonic 06 sucks?

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Do YOU hate Sonic 06?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Why does everybody think Sonic 06 sucks?

Post by Canpaw »

Yeah, there may be camera problems, there may be horrible glitches, and some difficult parts, but I kind of like the story, and plus, some modern games today have more glitches than Sonic 06? So, what's the big deal?
a
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Re: Why does everybody think Sonic 06 sucks?

Post by KeatonLabs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2Js6pSN6o

Do you see why the story IS crap?
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

It's largely a combination of hype backlash at the time of release- the game was supposed to be this incredible herald of a new era in the Sonic franchise, but wound up being an unpolished and uninnovative title- and a lingering negative sentiment towards several stylistic and storyline related decisions that aren't that bad on their own but add up to something that rubs most players the wrong way. Bugs aren't necessarily game-breaking, but they are there and it's not winning the game a whole lot of fans. Details like Sonic having a romantic relationship with Elise, the Chaos Emeralds appearing randomly without explanation or consistancy with other games, Blaze appearing randomly without explanation or consistency with other games, and Dr. Eggman having an extreme make over aren't objectively terrible things, but they are very unpopular features of the story. While each little wrinkle isn't so awful on its own, taken all together these points are enough to give Next Gen a less than healthy reputation among gamers.

Personally I do think Next Gen has lots of redeeming qualities. Some parts of the story aren't as disliked as others: Mephiles the Dark has plenty of fans, as does Silver, and I've heard lots of people say the game captures Sonic and Shadow's personalities perfectly (things these two say in this game get quoted very frequently in fanfics, character profiles and the like); though Blaze's appearance in the story at all is questionable, her part in it was pretty memorable and largely well received. The music has been praised too.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

People paid over $80 for this.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkEsjPka9A4
Here is just a few of the reasons. The dude also has a lets play of him doing all of sonic's stages. Not to mention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tOAZDfYwQ
its a ******* to complete, and would be literally impossible if not for the glitches in this game.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Plus the side characters are pretty bad minus blaze who is pretty fun to play as.
Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Post by Canpaw »

When I watched the video, I loved the story!
Well, I guess it's just opinons.
a
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

The story is eh. Like, it started off like it'd be an amazing final fantasy game, then OH SURPRISE SONIC CHARACTERS. Then you get in the game OH SURPRISE ****** CONTROLS.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

It's a good game, I has the the disc in my PS3 right now actually. :D
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

The story retcons itself

It causes a paradox because time travel is bull****

Furry fan fiction in a sonic game

Blaze
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Well, naturally you would feel that way Keaton.

After all, it is all your fault.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Guilty, i am the reason sonic 06 is crap guys
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Gameplay is Shadow the Hedgehog levels of sliding around plus Shadow the Hedgehog levels of bad enemy AI plus an entirely new breed of bad loading.

Silver's a great character and a good reference to Trunks from DBZ, but holy **** his gameplay makes me cry.

The story literally doesn't happen in-universe, the ending reversed time.

The starting cinematics for each campaign are great but after them it feels like you're watching Foodfight! If Foodfight! was about Sonic instead of characters from food.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

KeatonLabs wrote:Guilty, i am the reason sonic 06 is crap guys
AwesomeChao
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by AwesomeChao »

I don't hate this game as much as I should. The reason is that I feel this game could have been something. If the game wasn't rushed to appear in the Christmas release schedule, then more time could have been taken to retouch the story to prevent plotholes and other inconsistencies, more time could have been taken to ensure the gameplay wasn't as messed up as it was. The mach speed sections and Shadow's vehicle sections would still not function the best, but would have worked better than they did in the final product.

I also dislike how out of character some of the characters are. The more serious tone suits some characters (Shadow is a noticeable example) but some other characters (examples include Sonic and Eggman) really suffer in my opinion. Sonic in particular really doesn't show any personality in some situations. I'm also not too fond of the more realistic design of the game. One of the main reasons I enjoy playing games like Sonic is that the colourful scenery looks really attractive and it allows your imagination to open up. Most of the scenery in this game is really blamd and just not nice to look at. Even when Sonic Team created more realistic landscapes previously, such as Station Square or the Mystic Ruins, there was something of interest in every area and none of the areas were too big. I couldn't possibly count on one hand how many times I have gotten lost in Soleanna City or the New City. It really felt with Sonic 06 that Sonic Team were making a bigger attempt to hold up with the modern next-gen licences than they were to make an amazing Sonic game that would celebrate the Hedgehog's fifteen year legacy.
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Post by krzys2 »

you ask why?Because i can
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Haven't played it, but all I know it's an incredible amount of loading, unnecessary rpg elements and if you suck enough to lose all your lifes the first level, you have to do the whole intro again.

The story seemed fun to me though.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

You don't have to suck to lose the first level. Its so glitchy you can literally fall through the floor and die, frequently.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

That sounds like any 3D Sonic game though. I lost count to the amount of times I died in Sonic Heroes.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Any 3D sonic game? SA1 and 2 didn't have this problem, nor did Generations and not even the Riders games or the Wii games had this issue.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

SA2B and SADX had these issues. I haven't played Generations. Riders doesn't count since it's not a regular Sonic game. You don't really run around.

I've always found that in Sonic games you'd randomly freeze mid-run, certain 'cut scene' parts (like running away when the whale destroys the bridge) always bug out and mess up your controls and not to mention falling through random floors and walls into the void.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I don't remember much about DX, but I never ran into that in my playthroughs. And I never had randomly falling through the floor while running. However, the control thing is kinda a staple in 3d sonic games, I must admit.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Never had those glitches in any game other than 06, and lets be honest. Even if sonic team had more time on this game, the only thing that would maybe be different is the sheer amount of glitches.

The story would still be crap and retcon itself.

Level design would still be bland

BILLIARD PUZZLE

Load times MIGHT be shorter but there would probably still be 4 for one mission

Furry fanfic come to life

I don't think time was the true issue here, and im not gonna symapthize it for being rushed, they released the game, so i'm free to critique it.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Heroes was the last 3D Sonic I played, but if the Adventure games are glitchy enough to be considered Beta quality, everything I've read about Sonic 06 would suggest it's glitchy enough to be considered Alpha quality. Granted, most of the flack the Adventure games get over glitches are ones either added in the ports or that weren't fixed in the ports.

Also, considering that time-lines getting written out of existence is a staple of time travel stories that aren't of the stable time loop variety, I hardly see how complaining about the sotry being retconned out of the main time-line stands as valid criticism. If anything, based on what I know of 06's story, the Heroes probably enforced the best possible timeline from those they could have chosen. Now, if you have valid criticism of the story told in the erased time-lines, that's another story.

Also, Sonic 06 is hardly the first time Official Sonic Media has presented a human as a potential love interest for Sonic(Ignoring western media, we have Madonna from the character designs that didn't get used for Sonic 1, Sara from the OVA, and Chris from Sonic X if you want to go down the Yaoi route).

Besides, when has Sonic Team ever been any good at Story telling?

As for the problems that are unique to 06 and not common to 3D Sonic in general, I'd have to agree that many of the problems could have been fixed, or at least lowered to bog standard 3D Sonic flaws had the devs either had more time or been more experienced with the hardware(remember that 06 was the first PS360 Sonic game, and one of the earliest games for those consoles period, and they didn't have the advantage of being a first party dev like they did for their first Genesis and Dreamcast endeavors or the easier task of porting a completed game like when they started working with the Gamecube.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

The problem with Sonic 06's story being written out was that it literally was the conclusion for the story. It made the entire story mode pointless, because at the end everything was just reset.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa