Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Sega Genesis vs PC Soundtrack

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
LimitCrown
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Sega Genesis vs PC Soundtrack

Post by LimitCrown »

Most people who are familiar with the Sonic series probably know that the Sonic & Knuckles Collection was released for the PC in early 1997. It was a compilation of Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Blue Sphere. Gameplay-wise, it is exactly the same as the Sega Genesis. However, the music is emulated in the MIDI format; you can choose between the General MIDI and FM Synthesis versions of the songs. Some of the music was changed in the PC version; Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the Competition menu, Knuckles's theme in Sonic 3, and the Sonic 3 credits were changed. There is also an unused theme in the PC version.

On an old PC, all of the music in the PC version would sound roughly similar to the Sega Genesis version. However, on a newer PC, the music will sound worse because it would use wavetable synthesis instead of FM synthesis. The game was designed to be used with sound cards like the Sound Blaster 16 that had the OPL3 sound chip. A playlist made by a Youtube user that has recordings of all of the music from the PC version played through that sound card can be located here.

The reason that I created this topic is that I want to see which versions of each music track others preferred. Mainly, I want to see whether the Genesis version or the PC version is preferred for Carnival Night, IceCap, etc.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Sega Genesis vs PC Soundtrack

Post by Ivogoji »

I doubt that many people have played both versions. I'd probably go with the Genesis version all the same.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
LimitCrown
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Re: Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Sega Genesis vs PC Soundtrack

Post by LimitCrown »

Besides the music tracks that were replaced, most of the music in the PC version has the same rhythms with different instruments. There are some exceptions to this, however. It's why I prefer the Genesis version of Flying Battery Act 1. I prefer the PC versions of Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, and the Competition Menu themes instead of the Sega Genesis versions, but that probably because the Sonic & Knuckles Collection was how I was able to play the game for the first time. Carnival Night and Launch Base have better Act 2 variations in the PC version, in my opinion.