At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016, Reportedly

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016, Reportedly

Post by Sable »

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/sour ... -for-2016/
It’s pretty clear that with Sonic’s silver anniversary knocking on our doorstep, Sega has some big plans. We already know of two Sonic related games in the pipeline for early in 2016: The Nintendo and arcade exclusive Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games that will begin rolling out in February, and the delayed Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. It’s a given those two will not be the anniversary game–a source tells TSSZ that game is indeed coming.

The source indicates it’s been in development for a while–since before the release of Sonic Lost World, the source says. That shouldn’t be a huge surprise. But here’s the twist: Our source says it was also meant to be released a while back–before Lost World‘s release, as it turns out. Technical hang-ups with last-gen systems shelved some ambitious ideas with the project, the source said. On the plus side, that would put the game’s development time at least at three years, if not four. As the title is now planned for XBOX One and Playstation 4 (our source did not indicate whether a Wii U or 3DS release was coming), we will see how many of those issues were overcome. Our source says there are positive feelings internally at Sega over the anniversary title’s quality–then again, the source cautioned that same feeling surrounded Sonic Lost World; it had high expectations but ultimately saw mediocre reviews and even worse sales.

About Lost World, there was some surprise in the community when a PC port of the once WiiU exclusive was announced and delivered this year. Our source says that effort was spearheaded by Sega Europe, who saw it as an easy opportunity to make money with minimal porting effort. Lost World may be the first of a larger effort to bring more Sonic and Sega titles to PC and principally the Steam platform through 2016. Our source believes several items are in the pipeline and we’ll talk a bit about that tomorrow, but Sonic-wise, the source believes Sonic Colors is a higher priority for porting. Sonic Heroes, which did receive a physical PC release in 2004, is low-priority, and Sonic Unleashed is the subject of internal debate on whether it should be considered for Steam at all.

If that’s not enough Sonic appetite, our source says a second Sonic Team title may be in the works for next year. We want to be clear that just because it’s a Sonic Team project, that may not necessarily mean it’s a Sonic game. Our source also indicated it would be smaller in scale. We asked if that meant a mobile game was planned, but the source could not say. The source did note Sega of America now has greater influence in Sonic games, so any second Sonic Team title, if it’s Sonic, could be promoted as a bigger deal than it may end up being. Think of how Sonic 4 was promoted years back by SOA as a proper successor to classic Sonic–it turns out, according to our source, that the SOJ side only intended it a simple mobile platformer–and not the spurious rhetoric injected into many fans’ minds before major leaks revealed some ugly truths.

With all that mind, it’s a safe bet to expect at least 3-4 new Sonic releases in 2016. Surely one has to work out, right?
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016, Reported

Post by Rajikaru »

So basically:

Attempts to port Lost World and Unleashed, two of the most "meh" Sonic games in the past 10 years, to PC

A potential game that might not even be a Sonic game, and is considered "low-scale" which means it's likely a mobile or handheld game
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

the first one, the major title is most definitely a sonic game. the low-scale one is the one that might not be.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Sooo, olympic games, a sequel to a ****** and broken game, and an anniversary game that will probably be bad. Also PC ports of the games that no one really wants, except for colors? Great job sega. 10/10. You sure know what your fans want.

If only Sonic Team remembered how to make good games.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

EvilPinkamena wrote:If only Sonic Team remembered how to make good games.
in the past ten years we've had plenty of good sonic games

∙ rush
∙ rush adventure
∙ rivals
∙ rivals 2
∙ unleashed (mixed but most people agree the daytime sections are good)
∙ colors
∙ sonic 4 episode 2
∙ generations
∙ all-stars racing
∙ all-stars racing transformed
∙ sonic runners

that's almost all of what they've put out in the past decade, and lost world wasn't exactly poorly received either
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

It's more of a case of "If only Sonic Team wasn't like a 6 year old kid when it came to making new Sonic games, adding a different, stupid gimmick every single game and never focusing on what people loved the most about previous games". Shades of my Sonic Heroes rant.

If this new game focuses on the fun parts of Sonic like Generations did, or even Sonic Adventure did, then maybe Sonic will be more than just "that mascot who was huge in the 90's, had a bunch of crappy games, and is in Smash". The horrible games are way out of proportion for how bad they are compared to the good games for how good they are, so everybody remembers the ****** games much more than the good games.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Rush and rush adventure were okay. Rivals and Rivals 2 were mediocre. Unleashed was bad to mediocre. Sonic 4 Episode 2 was mediocre. All stars racing and transform are cart racers, its kinda hard to screw those up. Sonic Runners was a mobile game so I can't really compare it to other sonic games. Lost World was just forgettable. Generations and Colors were good, but Sonic Team quickly forgot how to make games like them, and opted to make Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. Seriously, Sonic Boom was taken poorly by audiences, so why would they decide to make a sequel?

Even most of the good sonic games are just okay to even bad by today's standards. Adventure/Adventure 2 for example.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Just wanna clear up there's a difference between Sonic Team and SEGA. Sonic Team didn't make any Boom games. They just were forced to sit and watch
Big Red Button make a fool out of Sonic and themselves with Rise of Lyric. Sanzaru Games made/are making the less than okay 2D Sonic Boom games.
The Boom games are SEGA's fault specifically. Sonic Team is really just a development team, as evidenced by them working on other games, like Nights and Billy Hatcher.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

A future Sonic game that was in development for a realistic amount of time instead of being rushed into stores as quickly as possible?

Sounds like good news to me.

If the anything the reason why we haven't gotten a real sequel to Generations yet is because Generations itself was a recreation of older Sonic games environments; creating a game as big or bigger than Generations with a new and original world to explore would take effort. However, THIS could very well be that game.

I think it's encouraging that this game was meant to precede Lost World- Lost World deliberately took a different direction from Colors and Generations, in all likelihood because it wasn't actually meant as a follow up to those games but more of cadet game (in the way that Unleashed didn't really have a direct predecessor or a direct sequel). The new game could be the intended flagship title.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

And weren't the Rush games done by Dimps?

In general, Flagship titles tend to be developed by Sonic Team themselves, but I'm pretty sure most spin-offs and handheld games have either gone to another of Sega's development teams or outsourced to a third party developer altogether. I think most games bare the Sega and Sonic Team logos even if the game was entirely third party, though.

Also, in regards to executive meddling, I think it worth noting that, while Sega's name comes first in the holding company's name, Sammy is the one that ultimately calls the shots, so it's quite possibleSega was against Sonicboom, but Sammy forced the project through development. Since we aren't privy to the internal corporate politics of SegaSammy and it's subsidiaries, we'll probably never know who was responsible for the bad ideas, who let the bad ideas run wild, who shut down the good ideas that never saw the light of day, and who was forced to do the best they can with the restrictions imposed by their bosses.

And regarding Lost World, regardless of whether or not it was a decent game, even if it was the second coming of Sonic 3 and Knuckles or the idealized Sonic Adventure 3, it would probably still have had lukewarm sells at best because Sonic hasn't been a system seller in years and the WiiU has had underwhelming sells in general(According to Wikipedia, the WiiU has sold 10 million units compared to the Dreamcast's 9 million).
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Ivogoji wrote:A future Sonic game that was in development for a realistic amount of time instead of being rushed into stores as quickly as possible?

Sounds like good news to me.
plattyrex
Egg
Egg

Post by plattyrex »

Every time they announce a big Sonic game, I have this naive hope for a new chao garden. I don't know why, but I let myself get disappointed every time. Don't get me wrong, I liked Colors and loved Generations, but dear god I miss the chao so bad.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Are the wisps gonna be in it? Screw the wisps. Idiotic transformation gimmick monsters. May they drown swiftly.

More adventure like gameplay please.

Chao plz.

Sega. Sega I need chao. You don't understand.

I also require nice amounts of Chaotix.

or Nack. And Nack. Nack too.

Nack nack nack nack nack nack nack.

DON'T YOU TEASE ME WITH WANTED POSTERS, SEGA.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016, Reportedly

Post by retrolinkx »

I don't understand how Sega keep messing up Sonic games. They basically have the formula to make them good, they just need to build around it, take out some words and replace them with others and bam you've got the Sonic game we've been asking for for years.

Daily reminder, Sonic Generations came out 5 years ago.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Sable wrote:

∙ rush
∙ rush adventure
∙ rivals
∙ rivals 2
∙ colors
∙ sonic 4 episode 2
∙ generations
∙ all-stars racing
∙ sonic runners

that's almost all of what they've put out in the past decade, and lost world wasn't exactly poorly received either
Out of all of those, I'd argue that just Rush, Colors, and Generations were any good.
All-stars racing is amazing, but All-stars isn't a sega-made game. It's made by Sumo.

And that list doesn't include all the flops, either. Sega really hasn't done any good whatsoever with the Sonic brand. At this point, I'd argue that they should take a break from sonic after this year and work on something else.
I mean, they have the likes of PHANTASY STAR and VALKYRIA CHRONICLES under their name, which are two games that those respective fans are literally clamoring and writing constant petitions for Sega to just simply port to over here. Sega has amazing brands, but they keep focusing on making Sonic die out because they feel like that's the safer investment, I guess.
CFood
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: I'm excited for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3

Post by CFood »

Sable wrote:
EvilPinkamena wrote:If only Sonic Team remembered how to make good games.

∙ rush
∙ rush adventure
∙ rivals
∙ rivals 2
∙ colors
∙ sonic 4 episode 2
∙ generations
∙ all-stars racing
∙ sonic runners

Objectively we can really only say Sonic 06 was bad. But subjectively most of these don't hold up. But I'm of the people who think Sonic Colours is just a Mario game with Sonic pasted in so as you can imagine I don't like most of those games you listed.

As far as Sonic goes, I thought Sonic 06, 4: Episode 2, and Generations were good. (Ignoring the bugs, Sonic 06 was everything I want in a Sonic game save for the obvious) And really, only the classic half of Generations I liked. I don't like this 3D switching to 2D stuff modern Sonic's been doing, I want a full 3D experience that we had been getting up until Sonic 06 ruined it since they don't seem to trust themselves to make a great entirely 3D game.

The way the Sonic social media's been talking, I've got a very strong hope that Sonic Adventure 3 is actually happening as one of those games. But for all I know they could just be stringing us along to crush our hearts with their Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 talk. But I'm worried as I don't think they'll go back to that entirely 3D formula from the Adventure titles anyways

Like the other guy said, ASR isn't exactly mainstream or even really a Sonic game.

Also dude above me, you right about that. It hurts to play Project X Zone and see all these wonderful series and that's the most action they've gotten meanwhile Sonic. I'm actually really glad Sonic isn't even in PXZ at all.
Look at dem ocarinas tho:

So you like Chao right? (Well, obviously) Hey, take a look, support the movement, maybe we'll get SEGA to release a Chao Garden app for smartphones??
Facebook · Twitter
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016, Reportedly

Post by chaoadventures »

I'm pretty sure the 3D boosting games use the 2D sections just to slow down the player.
If the time for an S Rank in Rooftop Run in Sonic Unleashed (Wii) is 2 minutes and 50 Seconds, with the 2D sections, clearly they needed extra fluff just to stop it from being even shorter.

The way the Sonic social media's been posting 90% memes, makes me not trust them all that much.

I could also post a whole thing about how Sonic Colors really isn't Super Mario Galaxy at all. But I'm not gonna.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.