Game Discussion: Sonic Triple Trouble

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Always count your shuriken before you throw them.

Game Discussion: Sonic Triple Trouble

Post by IvoNinja »

I'm going to do some more of these to see if it sparks any activity.

Here we're discussing Sonic & Tails 2 aka Sonic Triple Trouble.

Overall it's a pretty simple game. Way too easy, much easier than the other Game Gear Sonic titles, what with only needing to collect five Chaos Emeralds and being short in general. Aesthetically it feels like the Game Gear's answer to Sonic 3, especially with Knuckles doing his chortling villain routine and setting traps for Sonic and Tails.

Oddly the cast here (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Metal Sonic, and newcomer Fang the Sniper) is twice as large as most of the classic Sonic games. Fang plays an interesting role, beating the Sonic/Tails to each of the Emerald locations and requiring a boss fight to claim them, making Triple Trouble's special stages unique in the series. While Fang manages to convey a decent amount of distinctiveness to his debut game, I don't feel he's used enough here. It would have been cool if Sonic fought Knuckles at the final stage, but Tails had to fight another of Fang's airbike modifications. Would have helped justify those two's inclusion to start with.

There are a few gimmicks in the stages here to set Triple Trouble apart from the other Game Gear titles, like the 'pogo springs' and Sonic's jet shoes powerup. My favorite stage is definitely Tidal Plant Zone, which in addition to looking really nice has one of the best gimmicks in any Sonic game, the Controllable Bubble. Instead of just giving Sonic air he can actually go inside the bubble and steer it around while it floats towards the surface. It's a really fun twist on how underwater stages typically work in Sonic games. Tidal Plant also features the Sea Fox, Tails' personal submarine, giving the player a nice bonus for playing as the sidekick. It very much comes in handy when facing the Zone's boss: Knuckles, randomly piloting his own submarine (which is both very cool and kind of hilarious). Definitely a high point of the game.

Sonic Triple Trouble isn't a little known treasure like Tails Adventure, but I'd rank it as one of the better Game Gear titles.
Nobody is everywhere and everybody is nowhere.
SniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktEat your heart out EspioSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSnikt
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Game Discussion: Sonic Triple Trouble

Post by chaoadventures »

Personally, I'd say it's the best traditional Sonic game on the Game Gear. Level design and physics were much better than the previous Gear games.
That said, it doesn't quite compare to the main ones. Biggest problem I had (since I first played actually) was the game's over reliance on the mechanic that lets you curl into a ball mid-spring jump,
I think it took me a few months to figure out that you could do that, so I couldn't beat the first boss when playing with Gems Collection. That and the screen size.

I actually have the game on my 3DS now and beat it for the first time a few weeks ago with Sonic.
The special stages were interesting, didn't enjoy the ones in the Tornado, but the maze ones were great, and I would really like them to come back again.

I didn't like Tidal Plant much, but the bubbles were a pretty good idea. What I really liked was the snowboards in Robotnik Winter, I felt like there was a lot of potential there.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by IvoNinja »

Triple Trouble's Special Stages are really interesting, the game is worth playing just to see those. These were literally the only Special Stages in the series that made any kind of sense from an in-universe perspective; why would anyone hide the Chaos Emeralds in psychedelic half pipes and tiny checkered planets? Triple Trouble's labyrinths actually feel like places the Chaos Emeralds would be found. I really like them.

Robotnik Winter Zone was a pretty nice stage. The giant penguin robot was definitely my favorite boss. The snowboards were cool, though they're another feature that make this game feel like the poor man's Sonic 3.
SniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktEat your heart out EspioSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSnikt
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

I remember emulating it in 8th grade during free time, was a really fun game from what i remember.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

I just beat this about two days ago trudging through Gems Collection actually. Pretty neat game, although it doesn't hold a candle to the console Sonics. I always thought the physics were kind of wonky, though, and the last special stage is a pain in the ass for all the wrong reasons. I also abhore the water level.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by IvoNinja »

^Why? Tidal Plant was the only zone that offered anything close to a challenge, and it had the coolest gimmicks.