can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
User avatar
retrolinkx
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby retrolinkx » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 am

Image
Tsui: Nano, I have thought about it, and I am not going to just stand around and wait for Chao Island to die.
Nano: Excuse me?

Image
Retro: Are you kidding me? Tsui going toe-to-toe with Ample Aidan in a battle of the annoyings? Well, happy birthday to me!

Image
Tsui: I can't really criticize the current state of the Discord server itself, because I haven't been there in a while, but the forum does feel too connected to it. You know someone linked something when all of a sudden, tons of people. I do think that is an issue.

Image
Retro: [Boxing announcer voice] And the southpaw with the purple userbar and the big britches comes out sa-winging!

Image
Nano: They're not hurting you by being friends, and they're definitely not being exclusive just because you don't want to come back. That's a you thing, and I think it's grossly unfair to tie you not wanting to be in the discord to them being exclusionary.

Image
Retro: [Still with the voice] Ohhh! Tremendous body blow!

Image
Nano: Oh, and for the record, I can understand that from the outside it feels like the discord is tied too heavily to the forum, but you left on your own accord. Twice. Nobody bullied you out, nobody kicked you, nobody said "get out and don't come back". You just left.

Image
Retro: Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! [Really putting on the voice] And the fight goes to the stocky heavyweight from Dustbowl, Washington!

Image
Nano: By the way, Retro, Crash called in sick. I need you to play Overwatch tonight.

Reference for anyone who is wondering.
Image
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!

User avatar
ChaoGardenBuster
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 am
Motto: A world with only chao...
Location: Starlight Lobby
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby ChaoGardenBuster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:53 am

Nano wrote: You have an underground network of people feeding you info through the backdoor, one of them for sure I know is ChaoGardenBuster and you two seem to have some innate desire to tear down the discord cause you had some bad experiences a few times instead of growing up and just moving on with your life like all mature adults do after they've been wronged. I didn't stalk my ex girlfriend after she cheated on me and try to make her life hell, I sucked it up and moved on. If you hate the discord just say it, don't masquerade around as if you're somehow free of guilt and that these people wronged you and that you need to rally your army to usurp the evil discord.


As much as I hate to get involved in any of this (no like seriously, this is probably the first time I've ever posted in "Non Chao Island") I think it's time for me to finally say something. I've been trying to avoid any public conflict between servers. Look man, I don't want anyone to interpret what i'm saying the wrong way, I truthfully don't wanna fight with anyone. So please, if you interpret what i'm saying the wrong way, don't start conflict over it.

Now, if I really had a desire to tear down the server I would've gave my two cents to Mooncow long ago, but I didn't, because I don't care. Triert for one, asked me for a favor, and I thought I'd grant him that favor. I don't have any problems with him, and I still don't so I felt there was no reason to decline. You can even ask Crazo, I told him the exact same thing.

Private discussion is private, and not public.

I feel like it's relevant to repeat what I said at the beginning, "I don't want anyone to interpret what i'm saying the wrong way, I truthfully don't wanna fight with anyone". Ironically, almost everything I've read up until now supports this topic's argument, "can we talk about how hostile this site is now".

User avatar
Bunelody
Master Chao
Master Chao
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm
Location: rubs

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Bunelody » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:33 am

I've explained like a million times to people that I have no ill feelings towards you or the other discord either yet people seem to think I do so I dunno.

But idk how many time I have to say this but I do feel bad about what happened in the chat forever ago and I'm really sorry it happened buster. And obviously you don't have to forgive me but I am sorry.

This topic started bad and continued to be bad and it's hard not to be hostile when it's just a hostile topic. And I know my replies became hostile and personal but like I said it was hard not to when the topic basically started that way.

I'm sorry if my posts were rude in any way. I just felt the need to defend myself and my server.
Image

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:43 am

making a thread saying "everyone is hostile" is def gonna spark hostile discussion lmao. its like making a topic w/ the word "gay" in the title, you'll attract the gays
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12157
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Nano » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 am

I dunno man, it wasn't a very private convo if it became really obvious once he started posting screenshots of a discord he was banned from. It took about 5 minutes of digging to narrow down the list of suspects to you considering you had problems with the server in the past.

I don't think you're exactly oblivious to what you were doing either. There's no way you had no idea about what was going on unless you were completely unaware and Triert didn't tell you why he needed the screenshots (which I find incredibly hard to believe because why would someone in the discord need someone in the discord to get pictures of the discord, you would've had to have known he was banned or at the very least not being allowed in). You must have known what the implications were gonna be if that info got out, but you still did it anyhow. I'll be honest, maybe I did overstep a bit in accusing you of wanting to tear down the discord, but it's incredibly hard not to especially considering the passing of information and the whole "everyone in the other discord is a crazy sjw" discussion you spawned a few months back.

So yes, I don't think you didn't want to start something. At the very least you were aware of the situation and didn't mind doing something you knew people would get upset at you for.

And real quick, is this honestly hostility? Are people just confusing well made counter points with blunt honesty as hostile because it's much easier to devalue an argument by calling the person hostile than it is to make a well constructed argument against them? Cause that's what it feels like everytime someone comes in this thread and says "people in this hostile thread sure are being hostile".
Image

User avatar
Pumpkinium
CI Artist
CI Artist
Posts: 4206
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm
Motto: he/him
Location: Pumpkin Hill
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Pumpkinium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

Image
|Listography|FArt Topic|discord: Pumpkinium#4212|

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 am

Image
great contribution. 10/10. really clarifying your point pump. 5 stars
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Pufflehugs
Spooky Halloween Winner
Spooky Halloween Winner
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm
Motto: I an Rubs
Location: Comet Observatory ⭐

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Pufflehugs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Retro quite possibly just won Chao Island
If you say C*ncrete with no censor I'LL BLOCK YOU
Profile pic by Tsui

User avatar
ChaoGardenBuster
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 am
Motto: A world with only chao...
Location: Starlight Lobby
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby ChaoGardenBuster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Bunelody wrote:I've explained like a million times to people that I have no ill feelings towards you or the other discord either yet people seem to think I do so I dunno.

But idk how many time I have to say this but I do feel bad about what happened in the chat forever ago and I'm really sorry it happened buster. And obviously you don't have to forgive me but I am sorry.

This topic started bad and continued to be bad and it's hard not to be hostile when it's just a hostile topic. And I know my replies became hostile and personal but like I said it was hard not to when the topic basically started that way.

I'm sorry if my posts were rude in any way. I just felt the need to defend myself and my server.


It's okay, I won't hold anything against you. I'm glad now we can move on and take a step forward.

Nano wrote:I dunno man, it wasn't a very private convo if it became really obvious once he started posting screenshots of a discord he was banned from. It took about 5 minutes of digging to narrow down the list of suspects to you considering you had problems with the server in the past.

I don't think you're exactly oblivious to what you were doing either. There's no way you had no idea about what was going on unless you were completely unaware and Triert didn't tell you why he needed the screenshots (which I find incredibly hard to believe because why would someone in the discord need someone in the discord to get pictures of the discord, you would've had to have known he was banned or at the very least not being allowed in). You must have known what the implications were gonna be if that info got out, but you still did it anyhow. I'll be honest, maybe I did overstep a bit in accusing you of wanting to tear down the discord, but it's incredibly hard not to especially considering the passing of information and the whole "everyone in the other discord is a crazy sjw" discussion you spawned a few months back.

So yes, I don't think you didn't want to start something. At the very least you were aware of the situation and didn't mind doing something you knew people would get upset at you for.

And real quick, is this honestly hostility? Are people just confusing well made counter points with blunt honesty as hostile because it's much easier to devalue an argument by calling the person hostile than it is to make a well constructed argument against them? Cause that's what it feels like everytime someone comes in this thread and says "people in this hostile thread sure are being hostile".


I did know the implications of someone finding out, Triert wanted to share an image, I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal considering it wasn't anything major. That being said though I obviously didn't want anyone to find out cause like I said I don't want conflict. Anything that happened between me and Triert was not to tear down your server (at least on my part) but I'll admit it was a bad idea to let him share the image. You could say i'm straight up lying but I honestly had no idea his plans other than straight curiosity up until he shared the image until at which point I thought he was just upset about what was said about him in the server.

Also, about the whole "everyone is a crazy sjw discussion" that was me explaining in my server what happened, but people (in my server) there escalated it and said some harsh things. However since your server didn't take it well either, we haven't said anything about it since.

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5510
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't see anything wrong with people sharing what other people are saying in a public discord. The attitudes I'm seeing act as if the discord isn't as public as people said it was a few pages ago, or am I wrong?

User avatar
Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Posts: 7139
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Motto: xP

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Crazo3077 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:05 pm

^If it were just out of curiosity, like if Nano or Tsui asked me what was going on, yeah it'd be fine.

But you were banned. You proceeded to obsess over the activity in the discord after having been banned. And specifically asked Buster for evidence of me using image reactions. (Yes, Buster and I talked about it.) And then tried to weaponize the only material you could.

I'd chalk that up as questionable, whether it was over nonsense involving me or anyone else on the site.
Image
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5510
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I think it's about time I ask why people say I obsess over the activity on the discord.

Of course I'm going to think I'm being talked about behind my back and that the "respect" rule is being ignored, but aside from getting anything I could use against you Crazo, I've been ignoring the chatter in favor of other interests.

Edit: You could not possibly have less tact Crazo, with a topic discussing whether or not this website is hostile you decide to post an image like that where you did?

What are you trying to do?

User avatar
Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Posts: 7139
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Motto: xP

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Crazo3077 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

I mean an easy test to see how obsessed you are, without asking people for their private messages with you, is to search "discord" in your post history. From there we can see just the highlights of your discussions, since no doubt it would come up by other names than just "discord."

Mostly we can paint a history from May, where the discord is a regular topic of your concern, mostly over how discord should be used relative to the community, and then in June we can clearly see posts where you've clearly been removed from the "chatbox" discord specifically. From that point, you regularly, publicly complain about not being part of it anymore, rather that addressing it properly: communicating with the administrators and trying to make an appeal for your return. But since you're eager to fight with active members of the discord server, it is hard to say "Yes, we should welcome him back."

---

What, you don't like my joke? It's a genuine criticism that I wasn't going to make, but I guess I need to spell it out.

This topic was genuinely going fine at times. People were genuinely being civil and tackling the issue seriously. The kids table represents users who were regularly throwing wrenches in the civility of the discussion, either by making jokes or just making one line posts commenting on the status of the discussion. They weren't helping the topic grow. Alternatively, to quote Mamkute:
Mamkute wrote:... And when I say being dismissive I mean more than just ignoring certain posts (like mine :chaocry:.) I mean posting reaction images and two sentences, or reaction gifs and no words at all. Or ignoring half of a post. Seriously, all of those things are important to having a nice forum conversation.
...
And making posts just to talk about the state of the thread itself seems useless.

So the joke is kinda an evolution on that. Though I had someone else put the image together for me, so it's not like a 1 for 1 representation of what I'm seeing.

We can have nice, civil discussions. But when people are making low quality posts like they're just trying to have fun, instead of take the topic seriously, we're going to see stuff get hostile. People are taking personal offense because they're trying to take a situation seriously, and people like yourself aren't offering anything close to that, whether intentional or not.

When you want to make an actual qualitative claim, we'll be waiting, but until then, you haven't really contributed anything non-personal since the club analogy.
Image
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Ey in my defense, ive contributed where i could. Most of the drama about the discord is personal beef from months before I came back to the site.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Flame
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Posts: 4048
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:44 pm
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!
Location: University
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Flame » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I don't deal with any of this drama business so I can't comment on any Discord shenanigans, but in regards to this site it's become more and more a forum I lurk as opposed to a forum I make that many serious posts in. As someone with a degree in Sociology I consider myself left wing, but for the love of all that is good I cannot side with even those who share some of my beliefs when it comes to the politics topics. People are just too sensitive and quick to attack other people, causing threads to devolve into needless bashing with good posts far and few between. The majority of people on this site as a rule cannot seem to distinguish their beliefs from their emotions, and as a result cannot have civil discussion because it degrades to ****-flinging quickly and easily.

I like this place, but it's certainly obtained a different atmosphere compared to what it once had. It (and I mean the non-Chao Island discussion throughout this, of course) has the userbase of what would be expected to be a tight-knit group, but it's anything but tight-knit. The earlier incident between Bunelody and Tsui is even evidence of it.

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 pm

There are def tight-knit groups in CI but not everyone is tight together because more "us vs them" drama/politics goes on than fun talk, splitting people into two "alliances" where you have to pick a side and then you're marked for life.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
eblu
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Motto: u
Location: nuts dot com
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby eblu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 pm

this entire topic alone proves my point
discord: eblu#8048 | twitter | youtube | steam
what's happening forum
16 | male | ESTP | resident anime denouncer

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12157
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Nano » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

this entire topic alone disproves your point
Image

User avatar
Pumpkinium
CI Artist
CI Artist
Posts: 4206
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm
Motto: he/him
Location: Pumpkin Hill
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Pumpkinium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 pm

listen this entire topic is in shambles already, no one can agree on anything. we're all hurdling towards the sun. everything is personal and no one can truly define the difference between having an honest debate about people's attitudes or having a debate about if timmy chao man from accounting hates me because i post daddy memes and that fuels the secret theory that mooncow paid someone to steal torro's car.

we gotta move on here.
|Listography|FArt Topic|discord: Pumpkinium#4212|

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Idk, I think we've mostly agreed that there aren't any secret conspiratorial cliques/circlejerk out to push away any new people and create a permanent, static group of "the cool kids." P good progress from page 1 if ya ask me.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
mintdrop
Adept Chao
Adept Chao
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007
Location: i love avril lavigne

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby mintdrop » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:02 pm

i'm just kind of of the mindset that if you really feel like a community isn't for you, you can just leave and move on instead of constantly complaining about it. you're allowed to dislike it, but i would hope that people would be mature enough to just let it go. no ones obligated to stay, and you aren't missing out on anything if you leave the discord (especially if you didn't like it anyway).
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...

User avatar
Bunelody
Master Chao
Master Chao
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm
Location: rubs

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Bunelody » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 pm

^they are missing some grade a todd content that I only share with you guys tho
Image

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Image
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5510
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 am

EvilPinkamina wrote:Idk, I think we've mostly agreed that there aren't any secret conspiratorial cliques/circlejerk out to push away any new people and create a permanent, static group of "the cool kids." P good progress from page 1 if ya ask me.


Image

Oh would you look at that, they started with the "let's make fun of everyone making fun of us by acting like we did before but being more self aware about it." That isn't the way any of you should be handling this, if you really want to continue then don't complain that people see you as some sort of circlejerk.

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 am

Again what are you talking about? You're not making sense.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests