Favorite Manga

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Favorite Manga

Post by Pentagrami »

Hey yo, let's talk about all our favorite manga ok? Let me begin!

Ok first off, I like all kinds of fiction. I'll mainly focus on shonen for this post however, a bit of seinen depending on how you see JoJo. Anyways this is a list of my top favorites, I'll probably post more lists, maybe on other genres.

Beelzebub
Currently on what I'm guessing is it's final stages, Beelzebub has been a masterpiece from volume 1. I started reading a while ago and caught up around two years ago, afterwards I was left craving for more. It follows the daily life of Oga Tatsumi, a delinquent that doesn't care about anyone but himself, until he is chosen as the next Demon King's father. As the foulest man in the planet, the current King of Hell saw him fit to raise his son, Kaizer de Emperana Beelzebub the Fourth, which leads to a genius combination of action and comedy. Despite Oga sounding like the evil equivalent of a Mary Sue he soon proves to be just a regular guy seeking a quite life that any reader can relate too, however he carries a strong resolution towards this goal and is willing to beat up anyone that stands in his way to the perfect summer evening. The rest of the cast all have their own ideas and goals, though most of them are short term, it reflects the usual adolescent lifestyle. Other than that, the manga touches many important themes, such as family and friendship. Oga eventually develops a bond with Beel and learns the real meaning of fatherhood. Not the end of life, but a new beginning. Even if that's not your think the humor and art style are certainly amazing and it is sure to keep you entertained. Def on my top favorites, I give beelzebub an 8.5/10 so far. I hope the ending earns it a full 10/10.

Naruto
In the past, I used to despise Naruto. However, destiny found me giving the manga a chance. Knowing just how vapid the anime is, I didn't hold any high expectations for the manga and I was just reading it so I could knowingly point out the bad stuff in it. I was entirely disappointed. What the anime lacks, the excels in. It handles a petrifying level of emotion and a simply charming art style. I found myself hooked and kept reading until I was all caught up. My favorite moments include the scene where Sasuke attempts to kill Naruto when he realizes he is his closest and best friend, blinded with a thirst for revenge and the new found knowledge that the pain of losing someone so important was just what he needed to unlock the power that would allow him to beat his brother. The emotional devastation felt by Naruto at this point was overwhelming. Flashbacks were played expertly, and the backgrounds were all accurate to create this kind of feelings. I was left with a broken opinion on Sasuke and rooting for Naruto.
Now for my least favorite we have the whole succession of horrid chapters going from Hidan's defeat to the final stages of the fight with Pain/Nagato. Those were heavy and hard to deal with but were saved once again by how amazingly executed Nagato's character was and how hard Jiraiya's death hit. The current saga is really good and the buildup currently leading to the great ending this year is just succulent. Seeing the culmination of all the bonds and events set in motion since the first big mission in the land of waves up to the on-going war against Madara is just, a total experience. Naruto was like a road trip, it had it's ups and downs, it's exciting moments, the boring and long highways followed by the most memorable moments, and hopefully it will give us a memorable ending as well.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
A manga that's been running for 25+ years, it is a real gem and highly valued in the industry. It's author, Hirohiko Araki has been an inspiration to many many mangaka and his influence has hit hard even outside of Japan, having been invited to a Louvre showcase and helping out with designs for Gucci, as well as drawing a promo comic for the line, his genius is quiet evident. His story has inspired a diverse amount of media, with many manga and anime referencing iconic lines or imitating the well known poses, or JoJoDachi, an example would be the Persona series by atlus, as the protagonists of the 4th installment were seen performing some of the better known JoJoDachi in the trailer for PersonaQ. The manga follows not a single character, but an ideal, the Joestar Spirit, inherited and incarnated by many characters through the years, each of them the protagonist of their own part of the manga. Currently the manga has spawned 8 parts, the first six of which take place in the same universe, while the last two switch over to the alpha universe. Each part has it's own plot and cast, even though some characters manage to sneak into other parts. The first part follows the life of Jonathan Joestar, the first JoJo who has to deal with Dio Brando's ********, as he is the biggest asshole in the universe. This ****er finds a way to wreck **** up even further by becoming a vampire and it is up to JoJo to stop him. The second part follows his grandson, Joseph Joestar who finds himself having to fight the divine beings responsible for Dio's rise to vampirehood. The third part introduces the usage of Stand Power, which would become a signature element in the series. Dio is back again and Joseph is mad at him so they go and kill him, yadda yadda yadda. The seventh part, my personal favorite, takes part in a different universe and goes by the title "Steel Ball Run." This time, the universe's Jonathan Joestar, this time going by Johnny Joestar used to be an ace jockey until he was shot and had his legs rendered useless. He sees the Steel Ball Run as a chance to get back in the scene, to a man like him, a race from the west coast to the east coast in horseback doesn't sound like that big a deal. He then meets Gyro Zeppeli, a man who carries a mysterious weapon, which Johnny thinks is capable of healing his legs. Soon they find out the race isn't just a race and the holy corpse of a saint becomes their most important objective.
Anyways, JoJo is a great manga. It has a unique and evolving art style that has always been capable of communicating feelings and emotions, the arguments are great, the villains are top-tier and the rock-culture references are a rather neat touch. It hasn't run for 25 years simply because, it has earned every sale with outstanding performance and it probably will continue to amaze 25 years in the future.
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Re: Favorite Manga

Post by ShadriaFan »

Sailor Moon
Naruto
Manga adaption of Maximum Ride
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Kekkaishi is pretty great, a really interesting and original story based on demons and japanese culture, really enjoyable read with unique characters, and no fanservice whatsoever (which is a plus because one of the main characters is a girl who gets almost all of the screentime
Madarao in particular is a thousand year old demon dog spirit thats super sassy and probably my favorite character

Also Kinnikuman is amazing wrestling manga from the 80s that recently got continued thats so popular in japan it has its own national holiday and its still used in stuff like advertising too (a meatbun based on kinnikumans face was released recently) I love it

fullmetal alchemist of course

one piece is great

both dbz and the original db
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

oyasumi punpun is really, REALLY GOOD. the first thing you notice is that the protagonist and his family are portrayed as really crudely drawn birds, and they evolve and drastically change throughout the story--it's basically a characterization of how the main character views himself and the people around him. other than that, all of the art is really stunning

yo look at that. but to put it in the simplest terms possible, oyasumi punpun is about a boy growing up. the story is equally as involved as the art and what i mean to say by that is that it's SUPER MESSED UP. very NSFW and triggering too. don't read it if in you're in any sort of dangerous type of mind! but if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, it's a really interesting read (and there's plenty of dark humor and such thrown it so it's not completely depressing). in a way it sort of makes you feel bad for reading it and if you can stomach it i would definitely recommend doing so.

other than that i don't really read much manga. idk yo
Last edited by chocohugs on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
Blasphemy
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Blasphemy »

I generally don't read much manga, but I really like Bizenghast and King of Thorn. I'm interested in reading Soul Eater, Monster, and Akira.
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

They Who Lack a Face (Newest Project, Updating)
dA|Tumblr|Pokemon X Adventure Tumblr
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

Fullmetal Alchemist's manga adaptation is really, really, really awesome. It's sad when it's supposed to be, its funny when it pokes fun at Edward, it's badass at fights, the emotion is put in there, the mood is timed well, all the characters are unforgettable, the pace is perfect, and the story is jaw-dropping. Thats why I made our school library get all 27 graphic novels of it.

I haven't read the Attack on Titan manga, but ive seen some really good reviews on it.
Last edited by Yukki on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

manga adaptation
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Yukki wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist's manga adaptation is really, really, really awesome. It's sad when it's supposed to be, its funny when it pokes fun at Edward, it's badass at fights, the emotion is put in there, the mood is timed well, all the characters are unforgettable, the pace is perfect, and the story is jaw-dropping. Thats why I made our school library get all 27 graphic novels of it.

a

adaption????

the manga is the original

both animes came from it
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

well, the first anime was finished before the manga, so doesn't that make the original anime the original story...?
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I don't really have a favourite, but I've been reading Hikaru no Go for some odd reason.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

Yukki wrote:well, the first anime was finished before the manga, so doesn't that make the original anime the original story...?
the manga started first but they gave it an anime too soon so it caught up and they had to start pulling away little by little until the anime strayed too far from the manga and had to be finished, so no, the original story is the one presented in the manga because it's closer to the author's original intents, it actually IS the author's original intent
Tallkat Vantas
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: ask yourself: What Would Bayonetta Do?

Post by Tallkat Vantas »

Shaman King. The manga is miles better than the anime, which i really liked when i was little. It's p incredible, and without spoiling anything ill just say i like the manga ending a lot better.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Yukki wrote:well, the first anime was finished before the manga, so doesn't that make the original anime the original story...?
No, for reasons Jimmy/Samy explained.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

ah yes vantas the shaman king manga is delicious, i'll write a more detailed post on it tomorrow
Tallkat Vantas
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Tallkat Vantas »

Also, there's a horror/comedy manga i read a while ago, but I can't recall the name. It was about this detective guy and his assistant who went from weird town to weird town solving mysteries and helping people and such. Very amusing but short.

While I'm talking about horror, Hellstar Remina is also hella cool.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I don't like to pick favorites, but here is a list of comics I am interested in either catching up on, reading what I missed before I started reading the mag it was erialized in, or starting, divided by genre/ imprint/ and/or country of origin:

Shonen Jump(talking Viz's imprint, not the Japanese magazine most under the imprint were originally published in):
Bleach
Claymore
D Gray Man
Dragonball/Z
Hikaru no Go
Naruto
One Piece
Psyren
Shaman King
Ultimo
Yu-Gi-oh the original series
Yuyu Hakusho

Other Shounen published in English:
Detective Conan
Fullmetal Alchemist

Shojo Beat:
Baby and Me
Crimson Hero
Godchild/Cain Saga
Honey and Clover
Kaze Hikaru
Nana
Sand Chronicles
Vampire Knight

Other Shoujo published in English:
Cardcaptor Sakura
Sailormoon

Yen Plus(Manga, Manhwa, and Original English Language not separated):
Black Butler
Gossip Girl
Night school
Maximum Ride
Pandora Hearts
Pig Bride
Soul Eater

Other Manga Published in English of I forget the genre:
Blue Exorcist
Inu-Yasha
Pokemon Special
Rosario Vampire

Manga only available via scanlation(to my knowledge):
Aku no Hana/The Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
Kodomo no Jikan
The Seven Deadly Sins

Manhua(Sadly what of the following was published in English either never finished or is mostly out of print due to their publishers folding):
Blood and Steel
Chinese Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Four Constables
Fung Shin Gi(My be misspelled)
The Legendary Couple/Legend of Condor Hero
Ravages of Time
Storm Riders

Of course, the above list is me working from memory, and I read every thing that was serialized in the above listed magazines prior to their discontinuation(and in the case of Shojo Beat, have the entire run on my shelves). Sadly, vision loss has put a serious damper on my manga reading, and at present my comsumption is limited to reading chapter summaries of Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece on their respective wikis, listenig to reviews of those three on YouTube, and listening to my fiancee's comments on the Manhua she follows(though Fung Shin Gi is the only one she talks about regularly that has weekly releases).
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

attack on titan is being published in english by volumes but i dont think kodomo no jikan ever will be
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

[note: yeah definitely read about higanbana content warnings beforehand probably also it's been a long time]

Azumanga Daiou is pretty cool, I'd recommend getting the omnibus thing if you see it. A nice, cute four-panel.
Crimson-Shell is only one volume but I really enjoyed it, I thought it was pretty neat.
Marie's arc in the manga for Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni is good, though I haven't played the original to compare.
Similarly, what I've read of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's manga definitely isn't bad.

Do note that Higanbana is generally agreed to be significantly darker than Higurashi, and deals with themes like bullying and other dark stuff, I'd say probably read up on it beforehand instead of just jumping into it out of the blue, just in case.
Last edited by Tsui on Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

^Was not aware of Attack on Titan being published in English.

Sucks that the publisher that had licensed Kodomo no Jikan got cold feet shortly before releasing anything(and super sucks that my vision started failing me within its final volume being scanlated, if my vision hadn't failed me, it would have been the first manga I read to completion via scanlation). But yeah, its going to be a long time before any US publisher becomes gutsy enough to risk the backlash from moral guardians that series would trigger if it hit US bookstores.
Aruesso
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by Aruesso »

Pokemon Special is actually really good I'm serious
i'd recommend trying to find scanlations from the Japanese versions because the ViZ or whatever US translations make things kinda weird and boring
Tallkat Vantas
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Tallkat Vantas »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: its going to be a long time before any US publisher becomes gutsy enough to risk the backlash from moral guardians that series would trigger if it hit US bookstores.
boy, i wonder why.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

^Are you being sarcastic or genuinely wonder why?

Regarding Pokemon Special, my understanding is that if you want the series in English and in physical form, your best option is to import the Singaporean version, which was the only option for a long time due to Viz dropping the series after the Yellow arc and not picking it up again for many years. Lack of a good place to import Singaporean releases of anime and manga is one reason I have put off reading it. In general, I hear Singapore has produced a number of quality dubs of series that either got butchered or completely overlooked by US companies, but again, its hard to find any reliable imports or even downloads/streams of Singaporean versions.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I've only ever read some of Dragon Ball so that
SweetestDreams
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: become meguca

Post by SweetestDreams »

I'd say my favorite manga would have to be oyasumi punpun, which I was surprised about finding was already posted! But other than that Aku no Hana is a very good psychological manga. The art in the beginning is not so good, but it improves a lot and the anime adaptation is a very interesting rotoscoped style.
Pandora Hearts is very good, and I'm also a huge fan of anything by Junji Ito (Although it's pretty intense and gross horror.)
Shiruba Shadic
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Shiruba Shadic »

20th Century Boys is absolutely fantastic.
It maybe too gruesome at times and there is a little nudity.
But it's still the only anime/manga related thing I've rated 10/10
Put this in your Signature if you want Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
remade.