Books and reading stuff

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Re: Books and reading stuff

Post by ShadriaFan »

finished Sailor Moon, reading the Maximum Ride manga series, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
busy so I can't read big novels much anymore.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Since last posting:

I've finished reading City of Angles and have started working my way through Stefan "Twoflower" Gagne's earlier web novels. Quite enjoyed Sailor Nothing(It isn't as good as Saga of Soul, but then again it's as much a parody of the Mahou Shoujo genre and early fanfiction thereof as it is an attempt at a more realistic interpretation of what life would be like for a teenage girl who has to fight monsters in order to protect the defenseless masses), and I'm about halfway through Unreal Estate(and would probably be done reading it if real-life wasn't cutting into my reading time).

Also, Wildbo, author of the critically acclaimed web serial Worm recently concluded his second serial, Pact, and is 12 chapters into his third, Twig. If you haven't read the guy's work, I implore you: Go read Worm, then go read pact, then read what will probably be several arcs by then of Twig and comeback every Tuesday, Saturday, and some Thursdays for a new chapter. I do not apologize for the weeks you will loose catching up on Wildbo's work. Even at it's weakest, the quality of writing is great and the shear volume of output is simply phenomenal(The guy's been putting out 2-3 fairly meaty chapters a week for nearly 4 years(Worm started on June 11, 2011) with delays being rare and usually measured in hours rather than weeks like with many serial authors who fail to keep a schedule)) and most would agree that the quality has only improved with time.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

im bad at book and the only thing ive ever read that isnt school related is probably homestuck

anything else i read is not a book/reading thing unless its a dragon related art book

im a pictures person not a words person :v
help me
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Currently reading The Metropolitan Man, the Superman fanfic Jeff recommened in the Fanfic Recs. thread. It's pretty good, I like its portrayl of Lex Luthor. He seems to be a blend of the Silver Age Luthor and the Post-Crisis Kingpin expy version of the character. On the one hand he operates a huge and powerful self-made business empire, much like Post-Crisis Luthor, right down to calling it LexCorp and having Mercy Graves at his side (all extremely out of place in the fic's pre-World War II setting). On the other hand he keeps a much lower profile than the actual Post-Crisis Luthor ever did, and personality-wise he reminds me very much of Elliot S! Maggin's take on the Silver Age Luthor, though a lot of his professed humanism and similar traits are things taken from more recent depictions.

I'm also reading several Godzilla fanfics- including Koumajutsu: The Coming of Bagan and atleast one of JJ Rust's kaiju stories, which I'll talk about at another time. Koumajutsu is pretty long so I'm giving it priority over other stuff. There's also a Dr. Eggman-centric fanfic I want to get to once I've cleared my plate a little bit. Additionally there is a Star vs The Forces of Evil fanfic that recently started that I hope to follow as it updates.

Outside of fanfiction, I wish to soon tackle The Monk, which is the grandfather of all gothic horror novels, a dark tale of corruption and the supernatural. I haven't read anything this substantial in a while- the last book I read was Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, which I finished in two days- and I'm eager to dig into it. Been a long time since I read anything in this genre too; should be a refreshing change.

Manga-wise, I'm once again reading Mahou Sensei Negima!, averaging at one chapter per day- two if I can crunch. I'll pick up Mirai Nikki again sometime; probably after I finish the festival arc of Negima!. I also want to check out some other manga series that look interesting, though probably not before I get back to Mirai Nikki.

Also thinking about buying some new comics as a belated birthday present to myself; namely the recently published Godzilla in Hell. Which is exactly what it says on the tin. According to online reviews, the first issue contains no text or word bubbles; the entire narrative so far consists of Godzilla wandering through various bizarre imagery after arriving in Hell without explanation, with Godzilla himself and his reactions to the weirdness he encounters being all the audience has to infer a plot from. Its definitely an unconventional story; so much that I find it difficult to imagine a comic this offbeat and down right trippy getting published in the mondern comic industry. That said, this is only the fourth trippiest Godzilla related thing I've ever heard of, and it sounds intriguing enough that I might give it a shot.

tl;dr - I'm trying to get as much reading out of the way as possible before classes start, and I keep making it worse
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

For once, I actually have no backlog of fanfiction on my to read list, though I'm tempted to jump into the second part of Kurinoone's Dark Prince Trilogy(An Harry Potter fanfic with the initial premise that Peter Pettigrew kidnapped the Infant Harry, took him to Voldemort, and Voldemort decides to raise Harry as his own son). The only thing making me hesitate is that I've been reading the rewrite of Part 1, which is still in-progress, I don't want to jump to the original version of part 1 this late in the game, and I would rather finish Part 1 before starting Part 2, despite already having been heavily spoiled/teased by reading all of the extended universe material the author has published(both those marked as canon to the Trilogy and those marked as Alternate Universe). On a related note, I recently read the first two novels in the Power of Four series(Run to Earth and Playing with Fire), original fiction by the same author and can't wait for the third book, Thicker than Water to come out, making this the first time since Deathly Hallows came out that I've had anticipation for the release of the next book in a series(Usually, a series if completed by the time I learn about it), and I think this is the first time where reading fanfiction lead to me buying an Author's original work.

In other serial fiction news, I'm really enjoying Twig, the third of Wildbo's serials(seriously, if you haven't read Wildbo yet, you should, the guy as seriously earned his position as having the top 3 stories on Top Web Fiction). Also enjoying Jolt a web serial written by another Wildbo fan that takes some inspiration from Worm, the first of Wildbo's serials.

In other reading news:
Discovered Smash Words a couple months ago, and though I've only purchased two books from them thus far(the above mentioned Run to Earth and Playing with Fire), they have already proven to be heads and shoulders above all other sources of commercial sources of eBooks as their site is actually somewaht screenreader friendly, and while they still offer the pain-in-the-ass eBook formats that plague the EReading scene, and their online reader is crippled by having 1 webpage equal 1 physical page, they do offer the Holy Grail of eBook formats that is plain text! Now, I just need some recommendations for what to read from their catalog.

Recently discovered that two of my favorite novels from my Youth(Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(along with its sequel) and James and the Giant Peach) are by the same author, that said author was far more prolific than I thought, and that I completely missed out on the masterpiece that is Matilda. The author is question is Roald Dahl for those unfamiliar, and I've discovered that a number of his works are available in Audio CD format on Amazon. So far, I've only added Matilda and the Roald Dahl Audio Collection to my meager collection of Audio Books, but have several of his other novels sitting in my Amazon cart. I thoroughly enjoyed Matilda(and the movie isn't bad if you don't mind the transplant from the UK to the US). As for the Audio Collection, which I'd recommend if only because it's read by the author himself, I've only listend to the include abridgement of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and have no plans to listen to the abridgment of James and the Gian Peach, though the included unabridged stories are on my listening list.

In my search for an Audiobook of Matilda, I stumbled upon a number of other audiobooks, including several others from my Youth and a few classics I've never had a chance to read. Haven't bought anything from the former category yet(several are sitting in my Amazon cart), but from the latter category, I've purchese the first threed volumes of the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm going by publication order and have enjoyed the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian, with Voyage of the Dawntreader on my listening list. I plan to purchase the remaining four books on CD once I've finished what I've got.

Funnily enough, all this discovery of Books-on-CD and rediscovery of childhood favorites started with a fetish fanfic

Recently got hold of MP3 rips of the Harry Potter audiobooks. While they appear to be the same based on the US edition(and based on the less thoroughly edited first editions at that) recordings that I deemed too expensive when I first decided earlier this year to reread the series, I'm not as bothered by the removal of some Brtish terminology as I thought I would be. Probablly helps that the reader uses Prefect instead of the Americanism Perfect. The Philosopher's stone being referred to as the Sorcerer's stone was grating during the latter part of Book 1 though. Currently about halfway through Chamber of Secrets. Since both are Heptologies and considered among the best long-form children's fantasy of their respective time periods, I'm planning to alternate between HP and CoN.

I think that's about it for my current/recent reading.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Bumping to ask for reading recommendations.

I've decided that I'm going to celebrate Halloween this year with a month long marathon of seasonally appropriate literature, and would like some recommendations for what should be on my reading list for the month of October.

Naturally, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein are at the top of my list, what with them being the inspiration for two of the biggest icons in the Monster Movie genre and I've already got Book-on-CD versions of both sitting in my Amazon shopping cart.

I've also added a Book-on-CD version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to my Amazon Cart, but I'm not really sure it fits on a Halloween reading list.

Was reminded that H.P.Lovecraft exists when I asked on another forum, but knowing nothing of his work beyond what has filtered into popular culture, I'm not sure what would be a good starting point with his work.

Any suggestions for anything else I should consider including in my reading list for October?
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Most seem to agree that Lovecraft's scarier stories are “The Colour out of Space”, "The Dunwich Horror", and "The Shadow over Innsmouth". Personally, it's not really my bag, but I can get why other folks enjoy them so much.

More to my taste, Sir Arthur Doyle produced a few little-known horror stories: "The Terror of Blue John Gap", "The Horror of the Heights", and "Lot No. 249".

For more horror and monster related fiction in general, take a look around this website if you can.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Free comics are the very best kind, and although I haven't been able to purchase any of the hardcovers I've had my eye on, in the meantime I've been enjoying Fred Perry's Gold Digger. Antarctic Press has, like, the entirety of the comic's black-and-white run and I think part of its color run free for viewing on the web. The 90s art work is pretty rough (obviously it gets better over time), but the characters are really fun and the setting is so creative and fascinating. And, you know, it's free. Because Fred Perry is awesome like that.

I'll probably talk more about Gold Digger in the future. I'm interested in seeing how many anime-esque webcomics were inspired by Gold Digger's manga-esque art style; I think I'll ask around.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Well, as of Yesterday, I've finished my backlog of Roald Dahl audiobooks I've bought and ripped, having finally gotten around to listening to Fantastic Mister Fox. Also started listening to The Silver Chair from the Chronicles of Narnia(which I'm reading in publication order).

Also recently bought and listened to the Audiobook version of Soon, I will be Inincible, a rather interesting take on the Superhero genre(between this, Worm by Wildbo, and Jolt, I'm wishing I could find more literature in this genre that has traditionally been dominated by comics and other visual media).

Not much of note on the Fanfiction side of things, though I've recently read a few new compliations belonging to the Infinite Loops(Fullmetal Alchemist, Nintendo, and Winx Club) along with having read one extended Ranma/Nanoha fused Loop and working on a second.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Started reading The Lord of the Rings once again and averaging at 2-3 chapters per day. Enjoying it, but the only reason I'm making real progress with the book is because of not having an internet connection at home cuts into my usual online reading time.

Just started trying to catch up with Seikon no Qwaser, and still reading Gold Digger online at school when I get the chance. Right now I'm really missing fanfiction.net; although I do have some unread stories that I saved on my computer from other sites besides ff that I could read (I do this whenever I encounter websites that let you copy and paste their media, in the event that the webpage goes down or something like this happens)- some of them are Sonic stories too, and it's been a while since I sat down with a good Sonic fic. I guess I could also browse fanfics during my free time at school, but I probably won't.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Chao Island counts, right? Besides that, I don't read a whole lot.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Listened to the audiobook of Dracula recently and I'm currently halfway through Frankenstein with some H.P.Lovecraft in the queue. Before starting on my Halloween reading list, I had finished through Book 4 in my alternation of the Chronicles of Narnia(reading in publication order) and Harry Potter.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Went ahead and started reading one of those fanfics I have saved on my laptop. It's actually an adaptation of Sonic 1 that was written a really, really long time ago by a once prominent Sonic fan, Murr-Quan Lord #2. It's a recursive fanfic that takes place in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe created by Netraptor, whose own Sonic fanfics were poplar enough to inspire other authors to contribute to her interpretation of Sonic lore. Netraptor wrote around 30 stories all set within her own take on the Sonic verse, starting with an adaptation of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and working her way across the franchise to modern games; Murr-Quan's fanfic is a prequel to Netraptor's series that loosely follows the plot of Sonic 1 while inserting characters and exposition that relate the content of that game to the Netraptor-verse's (quite long and complex) history. Murr-Quan also wrote a Sonic 2 adapt that bridges the gap between this fic and Netraptor's S3&K adapt; I'll probably read them all in order if given the opportunity.

These stories are OLD. Netraptor began her series of fanfics when I was still a wee AoStH fan, years before even the advent of the Dreamcast and the re-writing of the Western canon. Here the events of the Genesis and Saturn games are blended into a setting that borrows characters and locations from the SatAM/Archie continuity family. Murr-Quan's fics are only slightly less old- the one I'm reading was definitely written between the release of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advenure 2- though I would say they've aged very well. This story is less polished than some of the author's other work I've read, probably being one of their earlier efforts, but it's still a cut above the average Sonic fic you'll find browsing ff.net.

You won't find Murr-Quan' fics on that archive I'm afraid. Few of his stories were ever posted there- this Sonic 1 adapt was posted on Netraptor's old website, which still exists but is difficult to navigate because many webpages are down. Of course I could e-mail the story to anyone whose interested- I've been careful to save any stories like this that might have a temporary web life, just to be sure someone could read them one day.

Netraptor and her fellow worldbuilders were a big part of my childhood, probably as big a part as the classic Sonic games themselves. Maybe revisiting my roots will help me to get the ball rolling on my own Sonic fanfics.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Okay, looking for suggestions for another holiday reading list, this time for Christmas and the other December holidays.

A visit from Saint Nicholas(aka Twas the Night before Christmas) and A Christmas Carol are no brainers, but can anyone recommend any other good reads for December? Also, while I'm not a fan of the Bible, if someone could point me to a scriptural source for the Story of the Nativity, it seems like an appropriate bit of reading as well. Also, I'm not afraid of going a bit multi-cultural, so feel free to include literature related to Hanukkah(Maybe I should add the story behind this holiday to my list of scriptural readings for December if anyone knows the appropriate Book, Chapter, and Verses for it), Kwanzaa, Yule, or any other holidays that fall in December I might be unaware of. I also suppose a Biography on the historical Saint Nicholas would be any appropriate piece of non-fiction if anyone know of any good ones.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^Well I normally read The First Book of Maccabees for Hanukkah (the whole thing of course; its an 8 day long holiday after all) and The Gospels of Matthew and Luke chapters 1-2 for Christmas. I also read Third Nephi chapter 1 for Christmas but I don't know if you'd be interested in my Mormon peculiarities.

Some other reading for the Christmas season:

The Life and Adventures of Santa Clause by L. Frank Baum
A Kidnapped Santa Clause, also by L. Frank Baum
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
A bit different, but the poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight takes place during and after Christmas.
Egg Nog For Eggman, a short fanfiction in which Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts try to give their illustrious master a Christmas present.
Cannot think of any good Thanksgiving, Kwanza or other holiday related stories, but if I find anything I'll tell you.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I can't believe I forgot about Gift of the Magi.

I totally forgot that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight takes place at Christmas, though now that I think about it, I should probably add a number of Authurian Legends to my long-term reading list.

Considering that I know more about Gnosticism(Note to self, try to find a recording or eText of the Gospel of Judas for Easter) than I do Mormonism, I should probably learn more about the latter. I'm guessing the Book of Mormon has an Anthology structure similar to the Old and New Testaments and that what you mention is one of the books contained therein. Actually, I should probably give the Bible itself another try since my last attempt to read it was with the NIV more than a decade ago and I never got through Genesis(and if I'm being completely honest, most of my objections aren't so much the text itself as the way the more obnoxious believers interpret said text).

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^If you'd like I could provide links to archives of Arthurian literature and translations of the Nag Hammadi library if you're interested. The internet has made a variety of ancient texts available with remarkable convenience. We can hook you up bro.

Yes, Third Nephi is a book within the Book of Mormon. All of the work's contents are available in etext and audio format if you're curious. Fair warning, the Book of Mormon is longer than the New Testament. It helps to pick out specific passages rather than to rush through the whole thing at once.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

eTexts aren't hard to find, in fact, when I took World Literature a few semesters ago, I was able to find every single assigned reading on the Internet and only had trouble when we started getting into the 20th Century(i.e. when copyright might still be in effect), and my recently purchased smart device for the blind which includes a talking book reader than appears to read everything worth mentioning except Kindle format, finding eTexts in a format I don't need to convert is easy. Still, after my recent rediscovery of the joys of audiobooks, buying a audiobook on CD has quickly become my preferred mode of reading. Text-to-speech has come a long way, but even the voices on my smart device(I can't call it a smart phone as it has no cell transceiver), which are much better than the voice on my Laptop, still tend to be a bit on the monotonic side in their speech and can't imitate each character being voiced by a difference person the way a talented human reader can.

Still, thanks for the offered help in case I either can't find Book on CD versions or the price is deemed unreasonable(one does pay a premium for owning physical media of audiobooks, though usually less than Hardcover, which was my preferred format prior to going blind, but still more expensive than most paid eBooks and paperbacks.).
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Well, some updates regarding my reading list

Can't find either of the L. Frank Baum stories listed above on Audio CD. Did find a CD Anthology of Audio Dramas of the first 5 or 6 Oz books though.

Found two versions of Gift of the Magi, one included in an Anthology of CBC Radio Drama versions of Christmas Stories(The Shepard being the Anthology's head liner) the other the sound track of an old TV Musical version that was apparently once a staple of Holiday TV programming line-ups.

Discovered that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has a translation by Tolkien and found an Audio CD version featuring it along with two other Tolkien translations.

Leaning towards the mp3 on DVD-rom version of the NIV Listener's Bible(Generally, I prefer to rip CDs to flac, but the CD Audio version is 64 discs, which would be a daunting task to rip and organize even if I got proper CDDB matches for every single disc, plus the mp3 version is less than half the price. Also found an English-only recording of the Quran, but unless I find information on recommended reading for Romadan, I'll probably save that for a later phase in my long-term project of reading scripture from around the world. Also got both CD and MP3 versions of the Analects of Confucius for a start into Eastern Religions.

Oh, and I'm considering buying this For any readings from the Book of Mormon.

I would be interested in those links, Ivo. I really wouldn't know where to start with Arthurian Legend, and the only audiobook I could find related to the Gnostic texts is more of a history of the early church and how the orthodoxy stamped out Gnosticism and it would appear the English translation of the Gnostic texts is only available in print as far as owning a physical copy is concern.

Also found a recording of a Christmas Carol as well of an Audiobook of an Anthology of Christmas story compiled by Caroline Kennedy entitle a Family Christmas(sadly, I can't find a list of what stories it contains).

With everything I have in my amazon shopping cart in regards to Audiobooks, it might be this time next year before I get it down to something reasonable(I've got 40+ items in there, most of them audiobooks from assorted genres and ranging from children to adults in terms of target audience).
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/index.html
This link is an excellent place to find early Welsh Arthurian texts, other Celtic legends and poems, as well as later continental Arthurian literature such as the Chretien de Troyies romances and their derivatives. My recommendations would be for the material under the Welsh texts link.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/index.html
This link leads to a large collection of texts from a variety of sources, including gnostic documents from the Nag Hammadi library. Navigating the site can be a little laborsome, so be patient with it.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Decided to start re-reading the Harry Potter series from book one onwards. For some reason I get in an HP mood around Christmas time.

Also re-reading the Silmarillion, which I haven't brushed up on in a long time. I appreciate it much more than I used to, being more familiar with Tolkien's works and intentions, which makes understanding the big picture that all the legendarium's parts fit into easier.

If I could get my hands on Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters, now would be the perfect time to read them. Comparing the greatest English fairy-story creator's interpretation of St. Nicolas with that of the greatest American fairy-story creator (L. Frank Baum), which I read last year, is too excellent an opportunity.

Fanfic-wise, still being unable to connect to the internet from my home, I'm restricted to the stories I've saved on my laptop. So far I've read all of Murr-Quan Lord #2's Sonic 1 adapt, his Cocytan trilogy (which are all prequels to Netraptor's Sonic universe), and am about half way through the Sonic 2 adapt. If circumstances permit I'll begin reading Netraptor's fanfics in order once I've completed all of Murr-Quan's recursive fanfiction. Appropriately enough Netraptor's Sonic continuity begins with a novelization of S3&K.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Well, Progress on my Holiday Reading:

Completed:
The parts of the Gospels Ivo mentioned above.
The Anthology of Christmas stories I bought for Gift of the Magi
Still to Read:
A Christmas Carol
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight(the recording I purchased is based on a translation by Tolkien)
The Mormon Selection Ivo mentioned above.
Things I wanted to read, but couldn't find a recording of:
The L Frank Baum selections Ivo listed above.
First Maccabees as it turns out it's not among the NIV(It's one of the Deutercanonical texts, counted as Canon by Catholics and most Othrodox Churches, but rejected by most Protestants).

In non-holiday reading:
I recently finished the London's Fog arc of Anachronauts as well as the side stories that comprise the second ag. I'll probably save the final arc(Stars Fall) for after I finish my Christmas Reading. I think that will put me finished with reading the author's older works and I'll probably start reading the serial that was in-progress when I started reading the author's works.

Still have a bit of H.P.Lovecraft leftover from my Halloween Reading.
Still have volumes 5-7 of both Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia to read.

On the fanfiction side, some Near-Canon SegaSonic fanfics might be a nice change of pace. What kind of word count are we talking with the Netraptor-verse and its meta-fanfic prequels and where can I find them?

Hoping I can catch-up on my reading between now and the start of the Spring Semester.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: On the fanfiction side, some Near-Canon SegaSonic fanfics might be a nice change of pace. What kind of word count are we talking with the Netraptor-verse and its meta-fanfic prequels and where can I find them?
Netraptor's fanfics are all doorstoppers, ranging from 15,000 to 50,000 words each. The longest can be over 100,000 words. Murr-Quan Lord #2's game adapts are also very long, though the Cocytan Trilogy is a pretty quick read in comparison.

All of Netraptor's stories are available on her fanfiction.net profile, but they were posted out of chronological order which can make reading them confusing. Murr-Quan's recursive fanfics are no longer available on the internet; I have them saved on my computer because I'm crazy prepared.

I plan on creating a Guide To the Netraptor Sonic-verse, where I'll re-post the lost fanfics somewhere on the internet and provide a timeline to make reading the stories in order simpler. In the mean time, if you're really interested, I could for example PM you a copy of one of Murr-Quan Lord #2's stories or you could try the links in the Fanfic Recommendations thread where I've suggested good starting points for Netraptor's fics.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Assuming an average length of 50k accross 46 published stories on FF.net, not all of them Sonic related, that doesn't sound to terribly bad(says the guy that has marathoned 300+K fanfics with a screen reader in under a week). I do want to read them in chronological order, and you've given me the impression the recursive fanfics are a prequal to Netraptor's work(though I have bookmarked netraptor's FF.net profile).

Anyways, I've crossed A Christmas Carol off my list and must recommend the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre version. Also listened to the first disc out of 4 containing the recording I obtained of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and may try to finish it if not start on the next poem in the set later this evening.
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

I haven't really done much reading recently. The last thing I read was Dracula and that was back in May.

I started reading the Sonic Archies, and I'm about caught up with the current arc, but I'm gonna start from the beginning and try reading the spin off ones too

I also might read the new FNAF book, unless reviews say its bad.