Books and reading stuff

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Re: Books and reading stuff

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

Yo I literally love reading. I mainly read fantasy or romance. Right now I'm reading the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter cause it's my personal goal to finish the whole series in this year. I have read other series though, and I read tons of fanfiction that's mainly (insert celebrity/youtuber here) x reader. ;w;
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Recently finished reading J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion as well as the first two Harry Potter books. I'm going to the public library more often these days and wanted to branch out a little bit, so I picked up Shakespeare's Othello and Goethe's Faust. I've been interested in both plays for a long time and reading them is the only likely way I'll ever experience either work.

Starting on the Prisoner of Azkaban soon and looking at several different fanfics that I'll probably talk about later.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Recent reading:
Genesis and Exodus from the Bible
A Horse and his Boy from the Chronicles of Narnia
Markheim by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Elementals from the series Power of Four
The Donitch Horror by H.P.Lovecraft.
A Worm fanfic entitled Cenotaph and its sequel Wake.
The first two arcs of the Worm Audiobook Project.

Should probably start on Order of the Phoenix soon.

Other things on my reading list:
Stefen gagne's current web serial, Floating Point.
Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.
The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle from the Chronicles of Narnia.
The rest of the Worm Audiobook project.
The rest of the Bible
The Book of Mormon(after I'm done with the Bible most likely)
Half Blod Prince and Deathly Hallows.
Sword Art Online(have the first 12 volumes of the LNs in fan translation on my smart device)

Honestly, I'm probably set for a few months without purchasing anything that's sitting in my Amazon shopping cart.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I've never been a big reading guy (at this point reading a book is strenuous/a waste of time to me unless it's a "read on the toilet" situation), but I have read a lot of books that I really like.

Off the top of my head -

Non-autobiographies such as Dragon Rider, Jumper: Griffin's Story, The Boy Who Couldn't Die, My Mother the Rockstar, every Harry Potter novel at least 4 times each, Of Mice & Men, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo & Juliet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I've probably read a few more that I just can't remember. Most of these books are either books I found in my school's respective library that I got interested in or books that I was assigned in a writing class. Funnily enough, Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream were both separate year readings for me - the first was in, like, 9th grade, and the second was 11th grade if I recall correctly.

Autobiographies by Jeff Dunham, Ozzy Osbourne, and a bit of Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (I had gotten halfway through when I told my dad about the book and he wanted to read it, as he's also a big RHCP fan. I haven't seen it since. It's been over a year). My mother likes to buy me autobiographies of people I like for christmas, and I was happy whenever I got one because I love reading about cool people like them. Scar Tissue I just saw in an airport library and picked it up

I don't think I've read through a full manga, every volume, but I have read various chapters of many different mangas including - FullMetal Alchemist, the original Pokemon Adventures, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Karakuri Dôji Ultimo (one of my favorites), Yuyu Hakasho, most of the Kinnikuman manga (got to the last arc), Kekkaishi (also one of my favorites), and a very small bit Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z.

I definitely want to read The Shawshank Redemption when I get a chance, but currently it's the only book I'm interested in.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

I'm upset about my current reading situation. I got a Kindle Fire on black friday, side note that is like the best purchase ever made for only $35, and it signed me up for "Kindle Unlimited". You get to read most books under $5 for free. It was nice for awhile, but then I stopped being able to find books I actually liked. Everything in genres I like is about vampires or zombies or trying too hard to be edgy or unique. So I started reading free books, most classics are free, or things I had downloaded from my old Kindle. THEN fricken Kindle Unlimited renewed a month for me taking my last $10 from my bank account...So now I'm trying to force myself to read anything from it because I paid for it with the last of my money and now I feel like I have to. Ugh its so frustrating, I've read everything I even remotely would have liked and so I'm just stuck browsing through a bunch of crappy self published books about vampires...(Nothing against self published I've read some great stuff but MAN these people need editors)
Honestly I have like 2 or 3 free books I really want to read but I don't feel like I can till my stupid Kindle Unlimited runs out.

I always have to have a book I am actively reading or I get really antsy, I don't know why. So falling asleep without being able to find a new book on my Kindle is driving me up the wall and giving me nightmares to boot.
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I'm now on the Prisoner of Azkaban on my Harry Potter re-reading marathon; I think I agree with the general opinion among the fandom that's its the best entry in the series, having some of the whimsicalness of the first two books and the heavy, serious storytelling of the later books, without too much of either to unbalance things.

Just ordered some comics and manga that I'm eager to get started on. Right now I'm reading Volume 7 of Fantagraphic's Mickey Mouse daily newspaper comic strips written by Floyd Gottfredson and Bill Walsh, 1942 to 1944 inclusive. The Walsh era is marked by less gritty and realistic types of stories and more cartoonish, satirical fare. On the other hand, Walsh's scripts are much darker than the pre-World War II Mickey comics; people get killed and the villains are much more twisted. The titular antagonist of The Black Crow Mystery is actually insane, carrying out acts of arson to satisfy a psychotic impulse, rather than just being a crook after money or some other worldly gain. But he's small potatos compared to some of the other threats Mickey faces during the war: Nazis, femme fatales, zombies, robot doubles, jazz lingo speakers, pirates, the works. I should make a thread for Disney Comics specifically, I enjoy them so much...

For non-fiction I discovered the Apostle James Talmage's Jesus the Christ at my local library, which apparently has a couple of his books. It's an excellent treatment of the Messiah; I can see why it's still considered the definitive work on the subject within Mormon theology. Granted, this is material I've studied before in seminary and such, but it's nice to read the book in full and glimps Brother Talmage's insights.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Recently finished the audiobook of Half-Blood Prince myself. Deathly Hallows will come after I finish The Last Battle from the Chronicles of Narnia, of which I have only listened to the first Chapter.

I've only made it through Genesis and Exodus so far in my listening of the NIV Bible, far less than I had hoped being 3 months into the project, but further than I've gotten in any previous attempt to read the Bible cover-to-cover(though considering the NIV iuses one of the most restrictive lists of Canon, I find myself wondering of a good Audio version for the Books included in the more inclusive Canons and the texts that conprise the Apophycra(I know I misspelled that, but Firefox's speelchecker isn't giving me the correct spelling). Perhaps I should jump around and read some seasonally appropriate Passages this Easter weekend. I'm sure Ivo could point out which parts of the Gospels relate to the Last Supper, Crucifixion, and resurrection and if there are any other relevant passages in either Testament or the Book of Mormon.

Also listened to Tolkien's Translations of Pearl and Sir Orpheous recently.

Currently in the middle of the third part of a Trilogy of Detective Conan fanfics(For those interest, Part 1 is The Case of the Hidden Epidemic, Part 2 is the Magic Bullet Murder Case, and Part 3 is The Case of the Haywire Heist).

As for other things on my reading list:

The Light Novel Translation Group that is doing the Ojamajo Doremi 16 LNs recently got a new translator, so hopefully I'll have a new chapter of that to read soon.

Still have At the Mountains of Madness and The Shunned House from the H.P. Lovecraft I have leftover from what I bought for Last October's Month Long classic Horror Binge. Also Jekyll and Hyde by Rober Louis Stevenson.

Still have the First 12 volumes of Sword Art Online sitting on my eReader. Think I got up to Chapter 6 of the first volume last time I worked on it, but I'll probably start over from the start when I get around to reading them.

Still have Arc 3+ of the Worm Audio Project to download and listen to(I'd probably have everything downloaded and waiting in the queue, but WAP's website isn't set-up for convient mass downloading(each arc is multiple chapters, each chapter is it's own file, and each download link is on it's own page).

I'm 165 chapters into Pokedex Oneshots, a collection of oneshot Pokemon fanfics inspired by Pokedex entries. Covers a variety of genres, shines the spotlight on Pokemon who never get much attention, and some make one wish for them to be made into full stories. With their being 335 chapters in total, I've still got a ways to go, though I might be lost once I get to the point featuring G6 mons.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Just started The Goblet of Fire.

Am about a quarter of the way through Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's Faust.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Sadly, I still don't read much.

I'm thinking of purchasing 1984 just to see what it's all about. People always talk about it and I'd rather read it all than a summary.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Books are cool!
Last edited by Nano on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rather than removing the post, I just want to remind you that when in general discussion, please make your posts related to the topic
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Recently finished the chronicles of Narnia and I'm about halfway through Deathly Hallows on my trip through the Audiobook version of Harry Potter.

On the fanfic front, I've recently caught up on Significant Digits and Harry Potter and the Memories of a Sociopath, both metafanfics of Less Wrong's HP and the Methods of Rationality. Currently reading Takamachi Nanoha of 2814, a megacrossover primarily of Nanoha, DC, Sailormoon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Negima, and Fate/Stay Night with the initial premise of Nanoha being choosen as the Green Lantern of Earth. Naturally, all sorts of hilarity ensue.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

I'm currently rereading "Allegiant" the final book in the Divergent trilogy. I recently finished The Mortal Instruments and it's prequels.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I recently finished the audiobook version of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows and I'm currently about 3/4th of the way through an audiobook of Lolita, my first deliberate step towards reading the Radcliff list of the 100 best novels of the 20th Century.

On the fanfiction side of things, I've been working my way through the works of Shadowed Crystal Mage. So far, I've read all of the author's short fiction that interests me, the first story in the author's 2814 Universe, Uzamaki Harry, and I'm current about 3/4th of the way through the first season of Cardcaptor Harry. Mainly, I'm going through the novel length and longer works in chronological order by last update since that's how FF.net sorts things by default.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Currently reading Matthew Stover's novelization of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. The novel is much praised in the fandom (more so than the film it is based on) and I've wanted to read it for a long time. The characters really come to life in this retelling; the author knows what makes them tick and excels at putting the reader inside their heads. Just in the first couple of chapters he manages to capture Count Dooku's entire philosophy and persona with greater clarity than whole books revolving around the Sith Lord. The level of depth applied in this adaptation makes it worth reading as a compliment to the film as well as on its own merits. I hope to get my hands on some of Stover's other Star Wars works once I complete this one; I haven't read many EU novels so it would be nice brush up on the subject.

For non fiction I just started C.S. Lewis's autobiographical work Surprised by Joy, a mediation on his early years and conversion to Christianity. It's an extremely enjoyable read- I would probably finish it in one sitting given the time- and holds my interest much better than most biographies can.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Recently read Leviticus. Not making as much progress on my reading of scripture as I would like, but everything else on my reading list is just more interesting. Still, considering my previous attempts never got to the end of Genesis, I'm doing better than my track record.

Fanfiction wise, I've finished reading what of Shadow Crystal Mage's fics I'm interested in reading aside from the rest of the 2814-universe, and I want to wittle down my original fiction reading list some before reading those.

Recently started reading Floating Point, the current serial from Stefan Gagne. Enjoying it so far.

Recently read At the Mountains of Madness by H.P.Lovecraft. Just have the shunned house left of the Lovecraft Audiobooks I bought for last October's month long Horror Literature marathon.

Oh, and I finished Lolita since my last post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Finished Surprised by Joy, thoroughly enjoyed it. Will most likely move on to another Lewis book soon.

Just started The Return of Tarzan. Burroughs is a classic adventure story writer- literally every chapter has a fight, a chase, or other burst of action to rush the reader along. I'll probably complete it quickly.

@Jeff-There happens to be a large selection of audio versions of Burroughs' works, nearly all of the Tarzan and John Carter books I think. If you're ever strapped for fiction to listen to they should be easy enough to find.
Last edited by Ivogoji on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

i'm reading orange is the new black, the actual memoir
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Haven't read much fanfiction lately(of the one's I'm currently following, only one has a regular schedule, and that one's monthly).

Got about halfway through the second Book of Floating Point before taking a break(Gagne's individual chapters are quite lengthy, each being a novella or light novel almost by itself, which makes binge reading a bit tiresome) to read Unsong by Scott Alexander, which I have now caught up with and have moved from my to read list to my serials I'm following list.
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

I just started both The Bell Jar and Gone Girl (which I haven't seen the film adaptation of) simultaneously because I'm a Wildcard

They're both good books so far, but then again i'm not that far in! But ye
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

reading through the sandman comic series which is basically literature in comic form, the winds twelve quarters by ursula k le guin (short story collection), im gonna read that recent ishiguro novel, and im working my way through goldfinch and this chinese lady's photographic memoir thats mostly in chinese but has a bit of english and german and really cool photos.
eboy's seme
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Finished book two of floating point, and read the rest of Shadow Crystal Mage's 2814 Universe. The first Chapter of Floating Point Book 3 is the only bit of original web serial I'm following I haven't read yet.

Returned to Pokedex one Shots recently(Currently on the 229th installment out of 339), and aside from that, I'm caught up on all the fanfics I'm following.

Listened to the Shunned house, which leaves just Jekyll and Hyde, the rest of the NIV Bible, and the Book of Mormon as far as unlistened to audiobooks sitting on my portable media player go. Did download arcs 3-7 of the Worm Audiobook last night, but haven't put those on my media player yet.

I think the last time my reading list was this short was before I discovered Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. I might be making a bulk order of new audiobooks come the fourth Wednesday of this month.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

so i'm totally reading every pern publication, even the one's anne mccaffrey's son has continued it with

also a clockwork orange, the british version with the chapter american publishers cut
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

I was just waiting on Winds of Winter when this thread came out, and I'm still just waiting on Winds of Winter.

But I was at the library killing time and came across a book called Mason & Dixon. Didn't make it too far (the book was huge) but what I read was pretty entertaining. Definitely recommend checking it out.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Books and reading stuff
reading stuff
Do webcomics count? Because I'm reading like 5 different ones.

Otherwise I'm not reading anything.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

If it's reading then it counts.

Let's see. Part way through Reflections on the Psalms by C. S. Lewis. Started reading Descent into Darkness by Thrippa, a Sonic fanfic about the life of Gerald Robotnik. Great stuff. Also reading another Sonic fanfic, Older Than This, which concerns Sonic and Tails' first encounter with Vanilla. And Tower of Babel, a Justice League/DCAU fanfic; trying to satisfy a DCAU fixation I've been caught on. Reading lots of fanfic recently.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD