Dragon Ball Super, new anime coming in July

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Dragon Ball Super, new anime coming in July

Post by Ivogoji »

EDIT:
SEE LAST POST

The pilot of the fan-made Dragon Ball Z - Light of Hope webseries was recently finished and is available for all to enjoy.

Light of Hope is a live action adaptation of the anime's History of Trunks special, a pretty ambitious project all things considered, but also probably the greatest live action DBZ movie ever created. It's really short (so far), and the minimal budget shows, yet the effects are realized quite artfully and take every measure to do justice to the source material. The style of the film is according to a cosplayer's mentallity, not a Hollywood mentallity- and it works. I mean Trunks and Bulma even have their canonical hair colors. The portrayal of the Androids also deserves a lot of praise. Seriously, just watch them :0

Also a new trailer for the upcoming DBZ movie Fukkatsu no F is up, if anyone wants to talk official films.
Last edited by Ivogoji on Fri May 01, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Dragon Ball Z- Light of Hope first episode complete

Post by Rajikaru »

Let's just make this a Dragonball General thread, as the new game (Xenoverse) is out and I really wanna talk about it.

I don't like the Live-action fanmovie much, but then again I've never been a fan of adaptions.

I'm super hyped for the new movie (Revival of Frieza), especially because I wasn't able to see Battle of the Gods because no theatre in my state ran it. Also, gold Frieza looks badass. The soda ads featuring the Z Warriors and Frieza's army were pretty great too.

I really reallyyyy want DB Xenoverse (the new game). It seems like an improvement on Budokai Tenkaichi's engine with additions based off the Budokai engine, and it just looks really fun with a lot more replay value than any other DBZ game in a while. Also, I really wanna make a Buu Waifu.

For fan stuff, I recommend watching DBZ Abridged, or alternatively watching members of TFS play various DBZ games, including an ongoing Xenoverse LP. It's really cool and interesting seeing the people that voice characters in the abridged parody (who are really good at it) talk about the actual DBZ universe and talking as characters in the game.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I'm a big fan of Team Four Star and have followed DBZ Abridged and Hellsing Abridged for a while now. TFS is a great group and they do some hilarious stuff.

Another group I follow on youtube who does cool DBA related stuff is the three man team of Quaaman's Land (channel), blackenfist, and Thundershot. They make videos analyzing aspects of the DBZ franchise, in-universe and out of universe, covering a wide range of topics. Quaaman's doing a playthrough of Xenoverse as well as keeping abreast of the hype surrounding Fukkatsu no F, so you might find his recent videos interesting.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

"Not only was it nice departing from the rote story than has possibly been told more times than some parts the Bible"

Best Xenoverse review, 8/8, true story

Really want the game but $100? No way
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

$100? What? The game's out for $60.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Here it's $98 with the season pass, or $70 standalone
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

$100 with season pass isn't $100 flat. Just get the normal version. Getting season passes is basically pre-ordering DLCs, which is as dumb as pre-ordering actual games.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^What's dumb about pre-ordering games? My experience is that, if you know you want a game as soon as it comes out, pre-ordering is usually the best way of ensuring it either arrives on release day(or at least ships by release day). Besides, most collector's editions sell out long before release, so if you don't pre-order them you either miss out completely or have to buy it from a scalper on ebay. As for season passes, aren't they usually cheaper than buying all of the DLC individually?

*Googles current exchange rate between Australian and US Dollars* Surprisingly, according to google, the AUD is currently worth only 0.77 USD, which means, ignoring shipping charges, it would actually be cheaper for an American to import it from Australia. Doubt this drop in relative value compared to the USD makes Australian game prices seem any less exorbitant for Crash and his countrymen though.

Can't say I've had much interest in DBZ games or Anime-based games in general. Was mildly interested in Dragonball Online, but that never made it accross the pacific, and the last DBZ game I played through was Legacy of Goku on the GBA.

I'd probably be more excited for Frieza's Resurrection and interested in tracking down Battle of Gods if I could still see. Sadly, the one medium I can fully enjoy(novels in an appropriate digital format) would be ill-suited for adapting Dragonball too(Action scenes can be done in prose, but I don't think DBZ-style action lends itself well to such).
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:^What's dumb about pre-ordering games? My experience is that, if you know you want a game as soon as it comes out, pre-ordering is usually the best way of ensuring it either arrives on release day(or at least ships by release day). Besides, most collector's editions sell out long before release, so if you don't pre-order them you either miss out completely or have to buy it from a scalper on ebay. As for season passes, aren't they usually cheaper than buying all of the DLC individually?
Pre-ordering these days is essentially giving the company money before you even know what the game is like, which isn't a good idea considering the amount of games that are just pushed out these days with horrible bugs (AC Unity, Halo MCC, etc). Which is why companies are pushing pre-ordering so hard what with dumb pre-order bonuses (get this free skin!), it guarantees money before the reviews come out and bash the games.

The only company I'd consider pre-ordering from is Nintendo first-party games because they're usually at least relatively good to all other games released.

Also, a season pass IS usually cheaper, but again you have no idea if the DLC is gonna be even worth the money, and with DLC you can't return your purchase.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

^For what it's worth, most of the games I pre-order have been out in Japan long before a US release is ever confirmed(so opinions from Japanese reviewers and importers can be taken into consideration), are from a dev/franchise that has yet to disappoint, or both. I also tend to go for Collector's editions that either include a good bit of physical swag or aren't much more expensive than the standard edition. That said, a game from a unknown dev or franchise isn't likely to get a pre-order from me if it's being released in the west first, especially if their isn't a collector's edition, and NISA is the only publisher I can think of that has good collector's editions on a regular basis. Excluding stuff from NISA, the only active game pre-orders I have active are the PS3/4 versions of Mortal Kombat X via Amazon with no other upcoming releases that I'm likely to consider pre-ordering. Of course, I do a lot less pre-ordering then I did when I could see, what with only having my fiancée to buy games for instead of both her and myself.

More on topic, I'm not sure what to think of Frieza's new form. I can appreciate sticking to something more understated instead of going for Monstrous like Cooler's extra form or super muscular like Broly's green-haired form, but Gold is such an overplayed color for super forms, especially when it comes to Dragonball. Then again, maybe the descriptions I've read give me the wrong impression and the form looks a lot cooler(the main image that comes to mind is Frieza's original final form with Golden skin instead of white and a SSJ battle aura instead of Frieza's original purple, possibly with his skin being shiny like Metal Cooler).
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

What you're assuming is essentially what the form is (going off his original final form), mostly gold instead of white and a lighter shade of purple, but a few small things (like Frieza's muzzle and hands) are now purple as well, Frieza's expression lines are much more defined, and he generally looks sleeker.

Also apparently this song is a heavy influence on the original idea of the movie or something to that effect, which is awesome because it's an amazing song, and will be an insert in the actual movie.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Nova! wrote:$100 with season pass isn't $100 flat.
You're pretty spot on with that, once you add the conversion rate from USD to AUD the season pass version would cost over $130.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Forgot to mention that I bought the standard version on PC a few days ago. $94. I couldn't resist.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Re: Dragon Ball Super, new anime coming in July

Post by Ivogoji »

New anime Dragon Ball Super set to air in July.

Post-Buu Saga continuation.

Akira Toriyama supervising the story.

IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

The name is the stupidest thing ever but I'm still hyped beyond all comprehension
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Bumping up the thread because I just watch the first 3 subbed episodes and

A. The episodes seem to be introducing the hugest threat super early, compared to the original DBZ episodes which usually had buildups and filler episodes, especially considering how this series is giving off more of a comedy/slice-of-life/action vibe than the original which was mostly action with slice-of-life filler, and

B. I think I've found my new favorite character.

Seriously, the characterization is so good, even compared to DBZ. All of the characters are awesome, and every one I can think of is returning.

About the Revival of Frieza movie, I like the theory going around that Vegeta will at least get the winning blow in the movie, but at the same time, I can't really think of a way to execute that idea without ruining the Vegeta subplot of him striving to be better than Goku/Kakarot, unless something puts Goku out of commission for the movie, like the heart virus in the Cell Saga from DBZ.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Hm. Would you say Super is more like the original Dragon Ball than Dragon Ball Z?

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Sadly, despite hitting theaters on my birthday, it's unlikely I'll be able to see Ressurection 'F' on the big screen. I do foresee many hours of Ivo blowing off class work to watch episodes of Dragon Ball Super in the technology building however.

I wonder though; will Toonami pick up the series, and, if so, will they fit it around DBZ Kai's slot or drop one in favor of the other?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

So like,

The dub of Dragon Ball Super just aired on Toonami.

I'm just gonna bump this topic real quick.

- - -
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Sub is better.
KaiserSenpai
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by KaiserSenpai »

I've been watching it in subbed and reading the manga, don't know if I'll go back to watch the dub honestly.

But I'm excited that dub only people are getting a taste of Super!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Because of various circumstances (like not having the internet) I never got to watch more than a couple episodes of DBS subbed. With the dub out now's a good time to try remedying that.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Pufflehugs wrote:Sub is better.
Spoiler:

Perhaps, but if you're like me, you'll turn off the volume while watching the subbed version and have a bunch of other (read: 2) western cartoons to watch while waiting for the next episode,
so it doesn't matter.

- - -
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I can't watch subs and don't know enough Japanese to get anything from listening to the raw, so I'm happy Super is finally getting dubbed.

Still, it'll probably be six months before they're done with the recaps of Movies 14 and 15.
KaiserSenpai
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by KaiserSenpai »

I respect if you're only dub only, sub only, anime only, manga only whatever.
I'm just glad we're interested in the same thing.

I only do subs because I grew up watching them, and wanting to wait for the dub for some series takes to long imo. I'm a very impatient person, I don't mind watching a dubbed version of something.

If I'm just already into the anime with subs half way I usually won't bother to stop or restart the series.