Any Bionicle fans? (Blind newbie needs help)

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Any Bionicle fans? (Blind newbie needs help)

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Recently learned about the Bionicle reboot and having regrets that I never got into the series during it's original run, I've ordered the new Master versions of the Toa off of Amazon.

So far, only Master of Ice has arrived, and naturally, my blindness renders the instruction booklet useless. While I've enjoyed trying to puzzle out how to assemble this thing without the benefit of instructions or even an idea of what the final product looks like beyond "humanoid robot", I'm stumped, and even equipped with the set number(70788), all I can find via Google are pdfs of the same "suitable for the illiterate, but useless to anyone without sight" instructions you typically find in the printed booklets.

So far, what I've managed to puzzle out between playing with parts and what I could gleam from an online review of the set:
A skeleton built of parts that join via ball-and-socket joints:
-A torso, with neck, shoulder, and hip stubs.
-4 pairs of arm/leg segments: 2 long, 2 short, 2 with a ball that forms a hinge join, 2 with a ball that allows free movement.
-I've taken to calling the ones with the hinge ball thighs and the ones with the free ball legs.
-2 pairs of ball-and-socket connectors that remind me of the pieces that served as hips/ankles on the classic Throwbots/Slizers that predated the original Bionicle. I'm assuming their intened as wrist/ankle joints, but not sure whish is which.

my current build uses the longer thigh and leg as such and the shorter ones as arms. The wrist/ankles are curently unused.

Bunch of armor with ball sockets. Took me a while to realize it, but all of the arm/leg beams have bulges on their middles that double as a ball, and in addition to it's limb stubs and it's crotch ball, the torso also has such a ball on its abdomen.
-3 potential breastplates: 1 that forms a full bodice, 1 that is bulky but narrow, and one that is bulky and broad.
-several pairs of shin-guards, one pair slightly larger than the others. I'm assuming the raised decoration on these marks the bottom of the armor piece.
-A pair of what appear to be armlets.

My current build has the larger pair of shin guards on the legs, the shorter shin guards on the thighs and upper arms, and the armlets on the lower arms. only one of the brestplates is in use, and I've got at least one spare pair of shin guards.

Fists, Feet, and head pieces with ball sockets. Took me a while, but I figured out that the head had a second piece that slots into the top of the head and is secured by a axle-2. I've also identified the three masks and have attached the 4 spider claws to the skull spider mask.

My current build has the fists, feet, and head in the appropriate places on the above describe skeleton. one of the masks of Ice(can't tell the normal and gold colorings apart) is currently on the head.

Weapons consisting of a ice spear, 3 ice daggers, and two massive Ice swords that can be combined as a shield and double as skis/snow shoes. Not sure how these are intended to be attached, but the big swords and the spear can fit the fist pieces directly and the daggers can easily be adapted to the fists with an axle.

Things I haven't quite figured out:

Several pieces of armor that seem to lack ball sockets. instead, they have a pair of studs on their insides that don't match any of the technic joint types I'm familiar with. I'm assuming they form most of the back armor as my current build has the back of the skeleton completely exposed.

And assortment of small technic parts I have no idea what they're for, including some pieces for converting ball sockets to axle sockets, some beam-3s that bulge in the middle to fit in a ball socket, and some generic small parts.

So any tips you can provide to help me finish building the Master of Ice(and perhaps figure out the other 5 without asking for specific help on those)?

Also, I suppose this can be a Bionicle General thread, if not a Lego general thread.