The Animation General

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Animation General

Post by Ivogoji »

Crazo3077 wrote:Invader Zim
It's an incredibly dark show with a twisted, sick sense of humor that any normal person would recoil in disgust from.

I mean, I like it, but I'm not normal.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Oh I know it isn't normal, and I used to watch it just fine. I don't know if I grew out of it or my tastes changed or what, but it just isn't enjoyable for me anymore.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Teen Titans practically evolved into Young Justice which is already coming back so :darksway: :chaohappy: :herosway:

Now as to what could cause that reaction from Invader Zim, I theorize it might be the factor of the era it was released in.

Mallgoths and Emo's alike as well as a pre-2007 "random" era of humor crowd. Such things may not evoke the same feeling of age, in fact we might mistake it as being a product of it's time. I honestly didn't see much of anything that could make it old.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@Triert: I'm going to assume the Japanese web runs much deeper than the image boards and artists blogs fans of anime and video games skim for pretty pictures to repost on the English-speaking Internet and that most English-speaking people don't know enough Japanese to dig any deeper than that surface layer. Replace Japanese and English with any other language pair, and I would expect similar statements to hold true.

I also think it worth noting that dubbing is massively more involved(which often translates to more expensive) than subbing or scanlating(which is part of why fandubs are practically unheard of), and at the end of the day, licensing companies are businesses that need to turn a profit on the series they dub and sometimes, a dozen cash cows aren't enough to cover even one passion project. It'd be great if every anime could have a simulcast dub that's completely faithful to the original, but the reality is that dubbers have to be selective, and sometimes market forces dictate sacrificing a bit of faithfulness in order to justify the cost of producing a dub in the first place. And really, no matter what dubbers(or even subbers) do, someone is going to complain.

Hell, I can give two examples of extreme nitpicking from my favorite fansubbing group:

When they first started subbing HeartCatch Precure, there was a debate over whether the name of the Cures' baton-like weapons should be rendered as takt(consistent with the German word for a conductor's baton, which is likely what the weapons were named for) or tact(consistent with how many words shared between English and German differ in spelling).

Or the debate over whether the Orange apprentice from Ojamajo Doremi's name should be spelled Hazuki(the standard way of romanizing the hiragana in question and how it's spelled in the most prominent on-screen example of her name being rendered in romaji), or Hadzuki(which is phonetically closer to how her name is spoken and somewhat makes more sense of the hiragana in question). For more context, the hiragana in question is a tsu with a diacritical. Tsu is already an exception to normal rules, occupying the "tu" slot in the most common way of arranging hiragana, and diacriticals normally change t to d, but tsu with a diacritical is usually romanized as a second zu(zu also being su with a diacritical) instead of du, but would be rendered as dzu by the t becomes d and s becomes z rules. Granted, this is on par with the debate between whether to drop the u when romazing words that use it to length an o sound, leave the u in place, change it to a second o, or bring o macron into languages that normally don't deal with accented letters, or whether Pokemon must always include the acute on the e.

I must confess I still cringe everytime I'm reminded of what 4Kids did to Ojamajo Doremi, and I'm not sure I could divorce the part of me that knows it's a bad dub from the part of me that knows I have no alternatives to dubs enough to let me enjoy myself if I ever decided to marathon it like I did for Cardcaptors, Digimon Adventure, and Mew Mew Power and plan to do for Digimon 02, Tamers, and Frontier. And while Magical DoReMi has the catchy dub music I've always considered one of 4Kids' few redeeming qualities, it's diminished by the fact that ojamajo Doremi's Japanese soundtrack stands as my all-time favorite anime soundtrack.

Part of me says I should really go and marathon the old Nicktoons to hear how well they stack up ~20 years after a first viewing, especially with some of the shorter lived ones getting movie sequels.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

jeff, you probably dont know this but the japanese dont really have as many computers as we do.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

triert, you probably dont know this but the japanese have more computers than you think
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

According to a 2015 study by the Japanese Cabinet Office, only 30% of Japanese high schoolers use laptops, and only 16% use desktop computers. (In the US, 98% of our teenagers use one or the other, with similar numbers out of the UK.) According to one study I found, about 50% of Japanese households have a computer, but many people don't use them, or only use them for games or web browsing. The majority of Japanese students use the internet exclusively through cell phones.
I'm going off this alone.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

cell phones are still computers, and an overwhelming majority of humans in first world countries have the magical computer phone in their pocket.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I know that but if there existed a japanese tumblr don't you think I'd be one of the kind of people to hear about it? A low computer population makes them easy to track.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Ivogoji a year ago wrote:Hunter X Hunter is going to join the Toonami lineup tonight. I've never seen it before, so I'm glad I'll get a chance to watch it there.

I was surprised they didn't pick One Punch Man. Seems like the inevitable choice really; it will probably air on Toonami eventually.

More recent anime they could pick:
Overlord (I'm surprised this didn't make it already)
Dragon Ball Super (should have been added a long time ago)
The new Lupin III anime
Boku no Hero Academia
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation
Durarara!x2
Four out of eight ain't bad.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Triert wrote:I know that but if there existed a japanese tumblr don't you think I'd be one of the kind of people to hear about it? A low computer population makes them easy to track.
no, you tend to be within your own safe space screeching about how evil "those guys" are at all times. Also you dont tend to browse the japanese internet. because you're american.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Last I recall I'm not one of the freaks trying to blackmail the creators of the voltron cartoon.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Nah, you're just one of the guys wasting your entire life trying to be a counter-extremist to a small group of extremists, not realizing how similar that makes you to them.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I just made a recommended media topic, lay off.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Has anyone mentioned Camp Lazlo yet? I really liked Camp Lazlo, but no one seems to really talk about it.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I remember Lazlo being pretty alright, but I also didn't really watch the shows when they aired during 2005 - 2012 outside of bits of Johnny Test, Flapjack, and Pokemon DP, so I can't really say much anyways.

I pretty much spent all the way up to 2012 just watching Boomerang and occasionally Nick whenever Spongebob and Avatar came on.
Boomerang's selection never really got much from 2005 to 2008 until really late, so I never saw most of it.

Speaking that channel, Boomerang has gone really downhill since I stopped watching live TV. What happened to its golden age of having episodes of SWAT Kats, Ben 10, Pokemon, Johnny Bravo,
The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans, and The Secret Saturdays all in the same day?

Now they're trying to put NEW shows on it, right next to the reruns of recent shows, which is a horrible idea. Not to mention that some (all?) TV providers require you to pay for Boomerang.
Its current existence gives Sonic Boom more justice than it airing on CN at 4AM ever did (unless it's also on Boomerang at 4AM), but still.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I liked Camp Lazlo, and excuse me while I turn the tv to boomerang to see what CHAD is talking about.

>Tom and Jerry Tales
>Uncle Grandpa right after

Why do they need to play so much Tom and Jerry? At least the Looney Tunes marathon is worth looking forward to.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Man, I remember watching an hour of Pokemon on Boomerang everyday. Those were good times.

Honestly, going way back, I never liked Cartoon Network's shows. I didn't care for Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Billy and Mandy, Kids Next Door, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Test, or Camp Lazlo, and I could only watch Dexter's Lab once before I got tired of it.

The only Cartoon Network shows I liked were Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, and the myth the man the legend Johnny Bravo.

Boomerang though... there was some good tv. Duck Dodgers, What's New Scooby Doo, Pokemon reruns, SWATKats, Boomerang Theater which constantly had good movies like Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, and there was the other classic stuff, Loony Tunes, Popeye the Sailorman, The Smurffs, Top Cat, Underdog, The Godzilla Power Hour, Johnny Quest, the Fliescher Superman shorts (!!!!), the Aquaman shorts and the Herculoids on Boomeraction, and those old minitoons that ran during commercial breaks. Boomerang also gave Teen Titans and Johnny Bravo the good timeslots, I could watch the entire run of both shows five or six times in a year. Man I miss that Boomerang.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

While I enjoyed most of CN's original programming from the What A Cartoon/Cartoon Cartoon eras, I'll admit I kind of miss the days when CN was mostly Classic cartoons from before I was born and things syndicated from the major networks, and while I've never had Boomerang(though I remember when it was a programming block on CN proper), it sounds like it's devolved from being CN Classic to just being a second copy of CN modern.

Damn, and now I want to hear how well many classic cartoons hold up as radio shows. My metaphorical kingdom for a Linux command line tool that makes audio-only rips of DVDs as easy as abcde makes ripping CDs or a bittorrent tracker specializing in western media that's as screen reader friendly or better than the one I use for Anime.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

So, any clue yet if the Invader Zim Movie is going to be "Invader Dib"?

Since Hey Arnold is ending like it was supposed to, it makes sense Invader Dib goes through as hoped for.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

^Never heard of that - is that a fan theory from the show or from the comics? Because I need to catch up on the latter.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

What do you mean by fan theory?
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Like... headcanon or WMG.

Also: I finally downloaded OpenToonz since my computer can handle it this time around and because the Pro (default) version of Clip Studio Paint only allows a very limited number of frames, but OpenToonz requires actual knowledge of animation, it seems. Still, if I can figure out how to do something, I'll let you guys know.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Invader Dib was planned to be the series finale back when the show was in production, before the show was cancelled.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

That's news to me (I haven't consumed all the media on it ever), and not something I'd expect, but interesting.

In that case, I still doubt it myself, but alrighty.