The Animation General

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: The Animation General

Post by chaoadventures »

Pufflehugs wrote:The Moon Phase movie will be better than that Transformers ripoff trash.
But nobody ever "forms the head" in Transformers. They're transformers, not Zords. No one's inside, they're sentient, and they don't merge (Apparently they actually do, but that's not their main shtick),
and Starscream keeps trying to shoot Megatron.

The only thing I personally could find making it a supposed "rip-off", is the fact it's "robots fighting robots". And since that defines a genre, that's another thing itself that's been gone over.

Related: I started watching G1 Transformers recently. Best description of it:

Bots. Gettin'. Hit.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Oh, well that's some Gundam **** right there
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

Same korean animation slaves worked on the animation for both.

That's why most cartoons from the 70's and 80's look similar to anime from the same era.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Pufflehugs wrote:Oh, well that's some Gundam **** right there
>Says it's Gundam.
>Thinks there's people inside doing important things (i.e. that they steer).
>Thinks there's people inside while they turn into cars/jets/cameras.
>Thinks there's people making them.
>
Spoiler:
>Questions why I'm using memes for this and why it's not green.
>This is actually a text adventure.
>Just imagine that GIF as a bunch of handmade ASCII pictures I made for Zork and Hunt the Wumpus.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

MEGAMAN (Aki Light)

He looks awkward
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

I actually kind of dig the redesign, but his eyes don't really work somehow.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

FreeForm (previously abc family) now has a programming block dedicated to old Disney series in the vein of Nick's The 90's Were All That, unsubtly titled That's So Throw Back. While the only animated show so far is Kim Possible, I'm still pretty gratified. They said I was crazy when I suggested other networks would follow in Nick's footsteps in bringing back classic shows, but who's laughing now?!
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I appreciate how they're going about the right way to do it, by just re-airing the older carton shows instead of trying to revive them, but I really dislike this whole "MAN WHAT DO THE KIDS LIKE?? WHAT DO THEY SAY, WE GOTTA -CONNECT- WITH THEM WE GOTTA TALK LIKE THEM AND LIEK WHAT THEY LIKE, DO THEY LIKE MEMES? LETS USE MEMES, WHAT ABOUT DUCKFACE???" culture that almost every big company that tries to advertise to kids attempts. Like, just be normal, say "hey we heard you want your old shows back, let's do it', instead of stuff like 90's are all that does "HEY GUYS WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE #HASHTAG DUCKFACE MOMENT FROM HEY ARNOLD????? TWEET #HASHTAG DUCKFACE MY PUCKERED ARNOLD AND MAYBE IT'LL SHOW UP DURING THE XXX ARNOLD EPISODE". Same with that stupid ****** anti-smoking company, but I digress.

Hopefully they bring back all of the shows, there were a lot of good ones. I particularly loved Emperor's New School and Dave the Barbarian when I was a kid.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

^
Fads never translate well into other media. Remember Yo Yogi? No? Exactly.

If you want to target an age group, do something timeless. If you just start spamming hashtags people will laugh at you 20 years from now.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

You're literally just stealing quotes from Pan Pizza's "Worst Cartoon Revivals" video.

Like, he said almost everything you said verbatim.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Dave the Barbarian has been in limbo for years, it would be fantastic if that cartoon aired again.

The real holy grail of Disney cartoons from the era in question however is definitely Recess. Don't know how many animated series That's So Throw Back will pick up but really crossing my fingers for Recess.

Long shots for inclusion would be Fillmore, The Replacements, and Pepper Ann (so unlikely, but I would weep with joy).
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Nova! wrote:You're literally just stealing quotes from Pan Pizza's "Worst Cartoon Revivals" video.

Like, he said almost everything you said verbatim.
haha i did? we must think alike. i made this post without looking at any videos
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

https://www.reddit.com/r/samuraijack/co ... _responds/

Hey everybody, so if you remember I made a thread almost 2 weeks ago asking for questions to send to Genndy and the Samurai Jack team.
I am beginning to get some questions answered and some might take a little while because at the moment some details are secret.
Once again I would like to stress that maybe not ALL the questions can be answered but the ones that do get responses will be edited into this OP. Edit: They've all been answered! Hooray!
Let's begin!
1) Is the art style going to differ, or are we going to see the same Jack style we are used to?
The art style will be as close to the original as possible. Jack is slightly taller and just a bit older but basically the same. The backgrounds for the original series were hand painted but now we're forced to paint them digitally due to the overseas production pipeline. I'm trying my best to match the original look. This 5th season is a continuation NOT a reboot so we want it to look and feel like the original show.
2) How much of the recent IDW comic run do you guys consider canon?
The IDW comics are NOT canon! They are completely separate from the animated series.
3) Will the opening theme song stay the same as always, or will we get a new one?
There are no plans to record a new theme song. There will be a new opening sequence but it's not clear how the original song will be incorporated. It's too early to say anything definite about the opening yet.
4) Seeing as the series is now going to be shown on adult swim, does that possibly mean that we are going to see a more dark and violent art style?
5) How do you plan to approach this next season? Is it the final one?

4) & 5) The studio doesn't want me to say too much at this point but off the record I'll say this.... Genndy's goal with this 5th season is to give a proper ending to the series. Naturally the intensity and drama will be higher this time around due to the story reaching it's conclusion. Being on Adult Swim will make it easier to push things dramatically and visually.
6) Are there any returning characters that you are excited to work on again besides Jack and Aku? (Like the Scotsman?)
Can't say anything about returning characters, sorry.
7)Do you know if the original team/people who helped compose music for the show will return?
Genndy has been working with Tyler Bates since Sym-Bionic Titan and I think he'll be doing the music for Jack.
8) Where you guys surprised to see Samurai Jack get so much traction and respect so many years after its cancellation/abrupt ending?
Yes, we were all very surprised by the reaction! We realized that there's a whole generation that grew up with Jack and they have a huge amount of love and nostalgia for the show. I suppose it was also kept alive on Boomerang, Netflix and of course Youtube. It's wonderful to see so much excitement for the return of Jack and we really want to deliver something truly amazing.
9) Unfortunately the Mako Iwamatsu who famously played Aku is no longer with us, however have you casted the new actor who will play Aku?
The voice of Aku hasn't been cast yet. There are several ideas floating around and Genndy is starting auditions next week.
10) And finally, What would you like to say to the fans of Samurai Jack, and how best can we support the show besides watching of course?
Obviously promoting the show on Facebook, Instagram, or any social media is always great. I also really love Youtube episode reviews or talkback videos. It's a nice way to interact and support the show.
We really appreciate all the fan love for Jack and we're working to create something surprising, intense, moving and funny but still remaining true to the spirit of the original series.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I'm glad it's confirmed that this is a new season of the original show and not a reboot.

On the subject of finding Aku a new voice actor, how about Greg Baldwin? He voiced Aku in Fusion Fall I think.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I'm glad Adult Swim has a handle on what people want to see, this is totally in line with what they usually do. They have the ability to bring life back to the dead no matter what it may be.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

AYYYYYYYY BOIIIIIIIIIII
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

he looks like he was forced to take a shower right after they pulled him out of whatever storage bin cn threw him into in that promotional
very excited to see how this will go
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

They're ruining Samurai Quack!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I hope the new season has more of unifying story arc. Pretty much the only bad thing I can say about the original show is that it was too episodic; nothing Jack ever did brought him closer or farther from his goal. It looks like the status quo for this chapter of the series will have more shake ups, and I like that.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

So I was on myanimelist and there was this discussion about western animation getting closer to the quality of anime, so I was all like
I mean even bottom tier anime are better than the majority of western cartoons. Pointing to one particularly outstanding show amidst the proverbial ocean of mediocrity doesn't prove anything. The sheer volume of anime is a big factor too- there's SO MUCH of it. There have been way more opportunities for anime creators to produce well-written, well-animated shows.

While there are quite a few modern cartoons I consider good, I would also consider all of them roundly inferior to the cartoons of the 90s and early 2000s. A little piece of me dies inside whenever anyone says cartoons used to be 'just for kids' and are 'getting more mature'. There's no western animation on tv anywhere near the depth and complexity of action shows like the DC Animated Universe, the original Marvel animated universe, Gargoyles, Beast Wars, Samurai Jack, or Teen Titans. Even the comedy series of the previous decade like Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, the Disney Afternoon lineup, and the 90s WB cartoons had more maturity and substance than most of today's cartoons. There have been some impressive shows in recent years- Korra, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Star Wars Rebels, Over the Garden Wall- but can they hold a candle to the classics? No way; even granting the quality they do have those cartoons are severe outliers compared to most of the rest of western animation. So no, I don't think western animation is getting better/catching up with anime. If anything the disparity in quality is growing bigger.

And again, anime has volume. For every great action cartoon like Samurai Jack there are like ten great action anime. For every well written slice of life cartoon like Hey Arnold there are a dozen solid slice of life anime. The difference is crazy.
So yeah, thoughts?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

My thoughts?

A lot of anime is otaku-aimed moe garbage, with godawful animation since so many are being made all the time, just throwing gradients and Adobe effects everywhere to make it look pretty, and they're all just adaptations of semi-successful light novels and visual novels so they don't have to worry about the plot being okay or not.

We have our bad cartoons, well, they have their bad cartoons, too.

And I don't mean to sound bitter. Really I don't.

I think that Rewrite anime is starting tomorrow? Right? I'm kinda hyped for that. Actually, Kotori's and Lucia's routes were my favorites. I'm still somewhat ticked off at Aniplex for using a more... Puni Plush style instead of adapting Hinoue's art style more accurately.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I'm not sure what the the business model of japan is. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but anime seems to be guaranteed at least 12-13 episodes as a one off deal whereas an american cartoon can die if the toys and merchandise don't sell.

Dark clouds loom over the best and newest cartoons we have going on right now, Uncle Grandpa while not exactly the best show was shot behind the back of the head by cartoon network in a terrifyingly cruel way. Steven Universe has been regulated to spurts of new episodes every now and then since CN realized they could easily grab children's attention with genuinely crappy shows. I grew up being told what I watched was bad, but now I realize things I watched before, things that came before my time, there's a level of standards that made cartoons bad before, yesterday, and today. Unfortunately, we have a lot of crap today.

Twiddle Edit: Oh right, the moe menace of animation. That's the japanese model at the moment.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

My retort to the moe garbage comment: yes, true, but when one actually compares bad anime vs bad western animation, which looks worse? Bottom tier anime is amazing compared to bottom tier western animation.

The minimum effort exerted for even the most unambitious anime goes a lot farther than the average American cartoon. When I try to think of the worst anime I've ever seen... I can't think of one that doesn't blow most of the American cartoons I've watched out of the water. And I love cartoons.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Now that I think about it, even if moe garbage is pandering it's on a better tier of "bad" when it comes bad western cartoons that focus on grossout humor, memes, relevant pop culture, and don't have anything else to show for themselves beyond only that.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Ivogoji wrote:So I was on myanimelist and there was this discussion about western animation getting closer to the quality of anime, so I was all like
I mean even bottom tier anime are better than the majority of western cartoons. Pointing to one particularly outstanding show amidst the proverbial ocean of mediocrity doesn't prove anything. The sheer volume of anime is a big factor too- there's SO MUCH of it. There have been way more opportunities for anime creators to produce well-written, well-animated shows.

While there are quite a few modern cartoons I consider good, I would also consider all of them roundly inferior to the cartoons of the 90s and early 2000s. A little piece of me dies inside whenever anyone says cartoons used to be 'just for kids' and are 'getting more mature'. There's no western animation on tv anywhere near the depth and complexity of action shows like the DC Animated Universe, the original Marvel animated universe, Gargoyles, Beast Wars, Samurai Jack, or Teen Titans. Even the comedy series of the previous decade like Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, the Disney Afternoon lineup, and the 90s WB cartoons had more maturity and substance than most of today's cartoons. There have been some impressive shows in recent years- Korra, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Star Wars Rebels, Over the Garden Wall- but can they hold a candle to the classics? No way; even granting the quality they do have those cartoons are severe outliers compared to most of the rest of western animation. So no, I don't think western animation is getting better/catching up with anime. If anything the disparity in quality is growing bigger.

And again, anime has volume. For every great action cartoon like Samurai Jack there are like ten great action anime. For every well written slice of life cartoon like Hey Arnold there are a dozen solid slice of life anime. The difference is crazy.
So yeah, thoughts?

i think you're looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Western animation began the animation craze. Without things like Mickey Mouse/Steamboat Willy or Looney Tunes, anime wouldn't exist. Western animation's influence on anime is and always has been huge.

Also, yes, we do get some ****** shows like Problem Solverz, Teen Titans Go, PPG 2016, most non RIck & Morty Adult Swim shows, non-early seasons of Family Guy, South Park/Ren & Stimpy rip-offs, but japan gets shows made deliberately for fanservice, shows that pander to the LCD, and shows like Monster Fetish the show, SAO the harem show, and Sister Incest the Anime.