The Animation General

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

The Animation General

Post by Goat »

In the hopes of driving discussion of animation away from other topics where it isn't the main focus, and given we have a clear interest. I believe it's only right we have a general for the sake of making a one stop shop for animation discussion.

I'll start.

Why is Sausage Party going to suck and drive back the respect animation currently has that it had to earn again recently.
Last edited by Goat on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Animation General

Post by Ivogoji »

I have no idea what that is so

Anyone who thinks the soon to be Nicktoon The Loud House will redeem Nickolodeon to some degree, or is that network a lost cause?

Also, if anyone wants to vent on Nickolodeon for dropping Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir from the air (only the most high quality production they've had in YEARS), I'd be glad to join you.

Relevant:
Ivogoji wrote:
Favorite 90s action cartoons:
Batman: The Animated Series
Gargoyles
Spider-Man: The Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Beast Wars
Aladdin The Series
Superman: The Animated Series
Beast Machines
SWAT Kats
X-Men
Men in Black

Other favorite 90s cartoons:
Hey Arnold
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Ducktales
Angry Beavers
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Tiny Toons Adventures
Rugrats

Honorable mention 90s cartoons:
Spongebob Squarepants
Godzilla The Series
Spawn
The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Underground
Darkstalkers
The Tick
Rocket Power
Iron Man
The Wild Thornberries
CatDog
Johnny Bravo
Oh Yeah! Cartoons
Talespin
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls

Favorite early 2000s action cartoons:
Justice League
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
Megas XLR
Jackie Chan Adventures
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003
Star Wars Clone Wars
Totally Spies
The Legend of Tarzan

Other favorite early 2000s cartoons:
The Fairly Odd Parents
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius
Kim Possible
Duck Dodgers
House of Mouse
Lilo & Stitch the Series
Filmore
My Life As A Teenage Robot
Danny Phantom
The Weekenders

Favorite modern cartoons:
Gravity Falls
Over The Garden Wall
Star Wars Rebels
Star vs The Forces of Evil
We Bare Bears
Steven Universe
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Transformers Prime
Beware the Batman
The Legend of Korra
Tron: Uprising
Iron Man: Armored Adventures
Phineas and Ferb
Regular Show
Adventure Time

Favorite 80s/90s anime:
Aim for the Top! Gunbuster (probably my all time favorite anime)
Cowboy Bebop
Cat's Eye
Sonic OVA
Variable Geo

Favorite 2000s anime:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig
Witchblade
Rurouni Kenshin
Medaka Box
Samurai 7
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Cyborg 009
Sonic X
Kirby Right Back At Ya!
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Favorite long running anime:
Pokemon (especially Kanto, Sinnoh, and Kalos eras)
Digimon (Adventure, 02, and Tamers)
Dragon Ball/Z/Super
One Piece
Inuyasha

Favorite recent anime:
Soul Eater
Parasyte: the maxim
Hellsing Ultimate
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Kill la Kill
Overlord
Space Dandy
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Blue Exorcist
Akame ga kill
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Ivogoji wrote:I have no idea what that is so

Anyone who thinks the soon to be Nicktoon The Loud House will redeem Nickolodeon to some degree, or is that network a lost cause?

Also, if anyone wants to vent on Nickolodeon for dropping Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir from the air (only the most high quality production they've had in YEARS), I'd be glad to join you.

THEY DID WHAT

The Loud House is their last chance, otherwise they'll have to rename themselves the spongebob channel
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I will be astronomically surprised if they don't drop the ball with The Loud House. It looks like it could be a decent show, which would be a considerable change of pace for Nickolodeon at this point-
But they had LADYBUG, a show that they could not go wrong with, and somehow screwed up worse than Legend of Korra. A much anticipated, very high production value work of animation... and they dumped it. My expectations are low.

Is there any channel to watch for Western Animation other than Disney XD?
answer: no there isn't
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Goat, you seem to have something against anime (seen in that food discussion you made), so me posting this feels so much better.

Moon Phase was the best anime ever. It's on Netflix! Except they took it off so **** Netflix. They have their own crappy Netflix Original called "Glitter Force" that was so bad I couldn't even get through ten minutes. And it also has dubs in multiple languages including ITALIAN but not Japanese. Someone has to have dubbed it in Japasneeze, but it's not on Netflix so I don't care.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I have nothing against anime

I didn't say no anime here, just in that food topic since the first thing people would want to bring up when I bring up foreign would have been sushi if they had the chance since it is rather popular.

I put a limit on that instance and only then, I just want to make that much clear.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Ivogoji wrote:I will be astronomically surprised if they don't drop the ball with The Loud House. It looks like it could be a decent show, which would be a considerable change of pace for Nickolodeon at this point-
But they had LADYBUG, a show that they could not go wrong with, and somehow screwed up worse than Legend of Korra. A much anticipated, very high production value work of animation... and they dumped it. My expectations are low.

Is there any channel to watch for Western Animation other than Disney XD?
Cartoon Network mate. Even though they're pushing out a lot of **** and have been for a while, they still have their amazing properties like SU (which si currently on hiatus for who knows how long), Adventure Time, We Bare Bears, and Regular Show.

I don't watch a lot of animation these days since I'm in college and don't have a TV. The only animation i'm currently invested in is Dragon Ball Super and Osomatsu-san, which are both producing new episodes (though Osomatsu-san is about to go on hiatus which makes me hate everything). They're both some of the best anime to come out of 2015, and apparently Osomatsu-san has won at least one award.

Dragon Ball Super is essentially a sequel to DBZ and takes place in the same canon - every film and show before this and after DBZ (except the recent Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' movies) are now confirmed non-canon. The series is ~35 episodes in as of this post, and so far it has basically just retold the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F storylines with minor changes. The anime is currently in a unique plot about Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and a character that Beerus chose fighting alternate universe characters (apparently there are 12 universes that are now canon), including an alternate Frieza that's...unique, I guess?, an alternate universe Saiyan with one of the more modern Saiyan designs (he sticks out compared to older characters like Vegeta and Bardock), as well as a really cool purple looking guy. Also a giant robot and a giant cat thing. It's pretty interesting, especially because Goku actually gets beaten in the second fight, meaning Vegeta (Piccolo also got taken out in the second fight) gets to fight a bunch of different guys, and it also means they're showing off how much of a badass murderer he can be. I've always preferred "Destroyer of Worlds kick your ass if provoked" Vegeta over "Second fiddle to Goku wants to be the strongest Saiyan" Vegeta, personally.

Osomatsu-san
is a revival of the Osomatsu-kun series from the 1970s-1990s, and is basically in the vein of other pop culture japanese comedy animes of recent years like Gintama. It's amazing, and I recommend everybody watch it. Like I said, it's about to go on hiatus, but it's super funny, the first episode alone parodies at least 15 different animes including Attack on Titan, newcomers to the series fit in completely fine with maybe the biggest problem being remembering which twin is which (though they're now colour-coded and have incredibly distinct personalities), and the cast is jam-packed - for example, the VA for Jyushimatsu (the yellow twin) is also JoJo. Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite animes I've ever watched, up there with FMA and Space Dandy. It's really great and does just about everything right.

Also if you're a cute girl that likes Osomatsu-San we should totally talk about it because I've almost reached the point where I'm pretty much fanboying over it I love it so much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since, as I've said, I don't watch much animation currently, I'm going to instead recommend some animation reviewers -

Firstly, probably one of the most known animation reviewers, RebelTaxi. I originally watched one of his videos, like, 2 or 3 years ago? And I wasn't interested, mainly because of his weird "Self-insert OC but instead of a cartoon or series that the OC is being used in it's his reviews", especialyl when he brought on other OCs that are basically flirting with his first OC, but I came back to his videos about a month ago and he has some great reviews and Top 10 stuff. His humor is put together well, he has insanely high production values, and I'd definitely recommend him to anybody who really likes reviewers and cartoons. He has way more Top 10/Top 5 videos than he does actual reviews, but they're still technically reviewing whatever he's talking about, just in a more condensed form, and what he discusses is interesting no matter the topic. He also has a habit of "accidentally putting in" shots of **** of the animation in question (though never so that you see anything explicitly NSFW) inbetween various clips of whatever it is he's reviewing, which is pretty amusing.

Secondly, TheMysteriousMrEnter. He has much lower production value than RebelTaxi, and his videos are rarely more than his voice recorded over footage of whatever he's reviewing, and he also has this weird thing RebelTaxi had where he inserts himself into some universe or something and other OCs show up or something that completely take you out of the review, but he's much more straight-and-narrow with much less humour than RebelTaxi, and he really hits some hard ****. He's definitely much more focused on giving his piece on both good and bad animation than he is on making an "entertaining" video, which is a good thing, you can tell he loves the artform with all his heart. There's nothing else that really sticks out about his videos other than his speech pattern that's slightly noticeable - I believe he mentioned that he has Down Syndrome in one of his videos? - but it's nothing that takes you out of the videos, just something that you notice every once in a while.

I actually bring these two guys up specifically because there's a lot of overlap between the two. They're both great animation reviewers and I highly recommend them.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Well...

Ivogoji wrote:Is there any channel to watch for Western Animation other than Disney XD?
Personally, I watch the internet channel. It has some good stuff if you look hard enough, especially in the "late-night" flash cartoon segment. Higher quality than Uncle Grandpa at least.
(But seriously, I find the quality of specific internet flash cartoons better than the overwhelming majority of everything on TV right now. Except Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom is the best.
Well, best one-off plot show.) The amount's still pretty low though, and at this point, I've decided to sustain myself on webcomics instead of cartoons. Tis' a bleak time.

Ivogoji wrote:Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
Never heard of it. (I pretty much abandoned staying up to date on new TV cartoons.) What was so great about it?

3. Relatedly, I make things. This includes cartoons.

No joke. I was semi-lazy with the art, don't hurt me.

I have no suggestions for you guys, since all I watch is Sonic Boom which I'm waiting for the next season of and Gravity Falls ended so...

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Re: Glitter Force

This is the dub of Smile Precure, the ninth season of the Precure franchise. I haven't listened to the dub since Netflix uses the abomination that is Silverlight, but from what I've read over at Doremi Fansubs, this is probably the worst dub of a Mahou Shoujo anime since 4Kids butchered the first half of Tokyo Mew Mew and the first season of Ojamajo Doremi. The first 12 seasons of PreCure are all available in fansubs with the thirteenth season currently airing in Japan. Other than Glitter Force, the only other bit of dubbed Precure is of the first season, which was done well enough that a bilingual rip exists. Though I've only seen seasons 1, 7, 8, and the first half of 9, I'd highly recommend Precure to anyone who is a fan of the Magical Girl Warrior sub-genre of Mahou Shoujo. Also note, that except for the second and fifth seasons, each season introduces a completely new cast and plot line and can generally be treated as separate series, though the semi-annual movies have been alternating between a movie that ties-in to the current season and a crossover between the current season and past seasons for years.

Fangasming over my favorite Magical Girl Warrior franchise aside, I haven't been able to watch anything for roughly three-and-a-half years, gave up on listening to television around the time I discovered Books-on-CD were readily available through Amazon, have no idea how to extract audio from a DVD/Blu-Ray from the Linux command-line, haven't been able to get any streaming site other than YouTube to work, and the only accessible torrent sites I've found are dedicated to Anime, and I don't know enough Japanese to follow the Japanese audio.

In short, blindness greatly restricts my ability to enjoy animation. I think the two most recent things I took the effort to listen to on YouTube were Legend of Korra Season 3 and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 5.

Do have dubs of some older anime setting on my portable media player though. Currently this backlog consists of:
The last ~50 episodes of Ranma 1/2
Episodes 20+ of Megaman NT Warrior and Speed Racer(the original 1960s version)
~70 episodes of Voltron.

If I ever get this backlog of anime and my backlog of Audiobooks finished, I might track down something else to binge listen.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Nova! wrote: Cartoon Network
You mean the Teen Titans Go Channel? The channel that never airs anything besides Teen Titans Go? They sure as hell never air Steven Universe.
chaoadventures wrote: 2.
Ivogoji wrote:Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
Never heard of it. (I pretty much abandoned staying up to date on new TV cartoons.) What was so great about it?
This is the PV that originally started the hype

And this the opening to the actual cartoon, which is mildly disappointing compared to what the original promised but still far better than anything to appear on Nickolodeon in forever.
Nick managed to kill a golden property like this with invisible marketing, an awful timeslot, no reruns to catch up new viewers, before finally dropping it from their line up for god knows what reasons.

I wasn't going to mention anime, since we have a thread specifically for that, but whatever.
Right now I'm really into:
Dimension W and Parasyte: the maxim on Toonami
Pokemon XY&Z
Overlord
Monster Musume no iru Nichijou
Cat's Eye

I tried to stream subs of Dragon Ball Super, but so far I haven't gotten passed episode 2. Waiting for the official English dub will be a pain but that's most likely what I'll end up doing.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: The last ~50 episodes of Ranma 1/2
Is Ranma 1/2 really good? I'm fond of Rumiko Takahashi's other works, and I've thought about getting into it. Would you recommend the anime especially?

If I'd recommend a show for the visually challenged, it would be Pokemon, since the nature of it's premise makes the action easy to follow. Plus the dub is everywhere.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Ivogoji wrote:You mean the Teen Titans Go Channel? The channel that never airs anything besides Teen Titans Go? They sure as hell never air Steven Universe.
I'm going to need something stronger than "The Horror Wont End" for this

Okay so, how does Disney XD and the regular Disney Channel look in terms of animation? It seems like CN and Nick might be starting to bleed out a bit and are looking to write off their better shows as tax write-offs at this point.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Ivogoji wrote:I tried to stream subs of Dragon Ball Super, but so far I haven't gotten passed episode 2.
As someone who still actively watches Super, I can tell you that the first two episodes are still the best (at least in my opinion).
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Triert: To wit, Disney XD has
Star Wars Rebels, formerly a Greg Wiesman show
Gravity Falls, which admittedly just ended, but remains the greatest cartoon of our generation
Star vs The Forces of Evil, which is my favorite modern cartoon after the above
Wander Over Yonder, a Craig McCracken cartoon
It had the bruceness that is Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja
It had Phineas and Ferb, and will soon have another Dan Povenmire and Jeff Marsh cartoon in the same universe
Penn Zero, which isn't name dropping worthy but is still better than most of the competition
It has ALL the Marvel cartoons, which by themselves would have set Disney XD as a better network than CN or Nick

I'm not even going to get into its foreign programming. You know what Latin American Disney XD does with Pokemon? You know what North American Cartoon Network doesn't do with Pokemon?

Disney Channel proper doesn't have any animation besides reruns of Disney XD content it airs on Fridays.

Puff: Neat.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

>Trying to watch cartoons on TV
>Complaining about lack of variety on said TV

It's infinitely better to actually buy Blu-Rays of shows you like (or download them or use whatever people watch stuff on nowadays).
I rarely ever watch stuff on TV. I'm not sure how people can enjoy watching something when it's full of adverts and at subpar quality.
No use in spending 35 minutes to watch a 20 minute long show (at least that's how it is with all TV in Australia), when I could instead just insert a Blu-Ray or just stream from my computer to the TV and enjoy as many episodes as I want with no interruptions, plus it's in Full HD and Surround Sound
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

^ That's a very true assertion. With the rise in popularity of streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, as well as computers now being compatible with most high-definition TVs, cable television is slowly dying. It's much easier to buy or rent a few episodes of a show or a movie on a streaming site on your pc (or even the tv itself) and watch it uninterrupted, in high quality, without having to deal with hundreds of channels that you don't need.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Yeah, Cable and Satellite TV are for those who don't know how to Internet. If I was living alone, I'd totally sacrifice cable TV service and home phone service for faster Internet. Still, I suspect Cable will stick around at least until the Baby Boomers start dying off from old age.

Now, if doing audio-only rips of DVDs and Blu-Rays was as easy as ripping CDs, YouTube wasn't the only major streaming service that works fine without Flash or some other plug-in, and Amazon's downloadable content was accessible with a screenreader and DRM-free, I'd be truly swamped with media choices from all sides.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

It's called being poor guys.

I don't even have an internet connection; I can only access Chao Island on my phone.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

If it makes you feel any better, Ivo, I don't even have an Internet-capable phone and I couldn't even reliably answer calls on the one I had until vision loss forced me to downgrade to a dumbphone. And to answer your question about Ranma, It hasn't made me laugh out loud much, but it has managed to hold my attention for 100+ episodes despite me missing out on most of the action and any sight gags. It is far more episodic than InuYasha, the author's one other work I'm familiar with with most plot lines resolved within an episode or two of being introduced.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Now, if doing audio-only rips of DVDs and Blu-Rays was as easy as ripping CDs, YouTube wasn't the only major streaming service that works fine without Flash or some other plug-in, and Amazon's downloadable content was accessible with a screenreader and DRM-free, I'd be truly swamped with media choices from all sides.
Ripping DVDs to audio is super easy by using a few different programs. Especially if they're separated into chapters. Blu-Rays are definitely not as easy as CDs to rip.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Should be noted that I'm not using Windows and can't easily use GUI applications.

And, assuming I have the right software installed(abcde for the ripping, flac for encoding, and eject for automatically ejecting the disc), ripping a CD from the Linux terminal is as simple as typing:

abcde -xo flac

And answering a few simple questions at the CDDB look-up phase(which CDDB entry to use if there are multiple matches, whether to manually edit the chosen CDDB entry, whether the disc is multi-artist). Abcde queries CDDB, rips, and encodes all in one step. The only time I run into complications is when there's no CDDB match(meaning manual tagging and filenaming), An Audiobook has multiple tracks per chapter(meaning file merging and then manual tagging), or an audiobook spans multiple disc(meaning manually changing track numbers to reflect chapter number), most of which can be handled by a series of mv commands or a bash script with metaflac.

Even when I could use GUIs, I never came accross a method for ripping DVDs that didn't involve separate programs for ripping and encoding, and don't recall ever using a program that didn't require me to manually mark the beginning and end of episodes in the rip I wished to encode. Then again, video editing is one of those areas I hear people complaining that the Linux alternatives aren't up to snuff compared to their Windows counterparts, so maybe even this is lagging behind. And audio-only rips, which should logically be, if not easier, less machine time intensive, than a full rip, isn't something people normally do, so it's hard to do a google search that doesn't have information on video encoding drowning out what I'm looking for. Makes me wish for a portable CD Player with upgrades to play audio from DVDs and Blu-Rays and makes me wonder if things would be any easier if DVD Audio had ever taken off as a media format for Music and Audio Dramas.

More on topic, any recommendations for Western animation with decent story told largely through dialogue and narration rather than on-screen action I might've missed in the last 3.5 years since my vision failed me? Might have an easier time find recent stuff compared to some of the 20th century stuff I've tried tracking down in recent months.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

It's time for a bump

Welcome to The Animation General: It's time to cry edition

And so, for the last and final time the day is saved. Thanks, to Powerpuff Bunny
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Re: The Animation General: Time to Cry Edition

Post by Ivogoji »

Bunny for 2016 PPG series.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Due to the lack of tear's we have decided that this topic will seek tears of laughter as well during the time to cry edition.

Holy crap people, check out the mexican dub of Ed Edd n' Eddy.

RebelTaxi has the goldest pieces of it on his review of it at the end and at the start of part 2 of his review on the show.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Powerpuff Girls 2.0 is here.

Discuss.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

If something doesn't go wrong with the creative team by the time the first season is over I'll be happy.