The Animation General

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Re: The Animation General: Time to Cry Edition

Post by wic. »

Gunbuster is pretty underrated and it's cool to see it mentioned. Have you watched Diebuster, Ivo? The way those two OVAs are connected made me cry tbh
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Animation General: Time to Cry Edition

Post by Ivogoji »

I haven't seen Diebuster yet, but I'm not surprised it made you cry. Literally just thinking about the final scene of Gunbuster moves me to tears. It's so beautiful and so powerful.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Re: The Animation General

Post by wic. »

Please, please if you get the chance to watch Diebuster you have to. It's own ending is just as moving, and the way it connects the two series makes the ending of Gunbuster even more moving. I was watching it with a friend and was basically losing it at the end of Diebuster.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

Landmine
Has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

I'm going to be that one dude that brings up literally the most discussed about thing in a topic ever.

One Punch Man's animation is friggen' beautiful.

I mean look at this nonsense. It's not just the fact the character animation is so fluid, but they include small details to make it so cool. In this scene, the watering can moving from the force of his shockwave is so great.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I love OPM, a lot.
But with some people it's like pulling teeth when you explain to them why you enjoy it.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Goat wrote:I love OPM, a lot.
But with some people it's like pulling teeth when you explain to them why you enjoy it.
I haven't really had any problems explaining it, but maybe that's because I've been following it for so long.

It's like watching a Shakespeare play. You know how each of his plays are going to end, more or less, but you still read/watch because you want to see how the characters get to their destination.
You know that in the end (with OPM) he's going to win, but the fun comes in when you imagine all the different reactions and conversations the characters have, and the journey they take along the way.

Also the animation is beautiful.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

JoJo part 4 started last week, and so far it's really good. It's the first time I've read a JoJo part in full before watching it. I had watched parts 1-3 when the second season of 3 was airing and eventually caught up to date anime, so decided to read it from the point of the most current episode to the end.

Part 4 opening

I feel like the opening is really good and fits this season pretty well. It's pretty obvious by who the show in the opening that art 4 is going to be more than one season. One thing I really like is how they don't show Koichi's stand, Echoes, since he gets it later in the series.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Nothing about this PPG reboot is good.

Also, what happened to Uncle Grandpa...Cartoon Network took them to "see the rabbits". Only Teen Titans Go deserved to die like they just did really.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Nothing on CN seems good or like it should live, imo. I dunno, I haven't been able to get into children's cartoons for ages, I think I just grew up too much for them. It's hard to tell if the quality of cartoons has dropped since I was a kid or if i'm too mature for them or something. Even when I've actively TRIED to get into children's cartoons (Over the Garden Wall, We Bare Bears) I just can't. It's kinda disappointing. It isn't the fact it's animation, since there's still anime I really enjoy, and I still love King of the Hill and Daria.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

OTGW was a ****** Galactimus SSS+++ Rank Tier miniseries man, they did everything they possibly could have done perfectly and well executed.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

wic. wrote:Nothing on CN seems good or like it should live, imo. I dunno, I haven't been able to get into children's cartoons for ages, I think I just grew up too much for them. It's hard to tell if the quality of cartoons has dropped since I was a kid or if i'm too mature for them or something. Even when I've actively TRIED to get into children's cartoons (Over the Garden Wall, We Bare Bears) I just can't. It's kinda disappointing. It isn't the fact it's animation, since there's still anime I really enjoy, and I still love King of the Hill and Daria.
Have you ever watched Regular Show?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

wic. wrote: It's hard to tell if the quality of cartoons has dropped since I was a kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jvb9jfGYvw

You tell me. If this isn't proof it's gone down, well I don't know what is. I don't like 90% of the stuff that's out now Cartoon Network or otherwise honestly.
Very few things pop up these days that are good though. I doesn't matter who you ask, they'll only really give you 3 shows or so and say everything else is awful/mediocre.

The shows they give will change a bit, but the "few shows are good" won't.

Although, if you want to try your hand at what I could only describe as a mid-way point between adult and kid humor (I assume because it's on normal CN instead of Adult Swim)
if you already haven't, I would watch Regular Show, as Crash suggested. It's not my style of humor at all, but I can really feel the potential for people who do like it.

ALSO SONIC BOOM. SONIC BOOM BEST SHOW. I SWEAR IT IS. BETTER THAN THE OLD SHOWS. 100x BETTER THAN THE NEW ONES. But I'm the only one who says that apparently. I mean really. I'm practically a one person cult for this show.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I think there was supposed to be a SU marathon today but I missed it in favor of actually sleeping

I really love Steven Universe, not just because of the characters and story, which are themselves very nice and not to mention cute, but the backgrounds and music are downright gorgeous. The storyboards/animatics are also really great, and the color choice in the designs and final product are pretty nice too.
I'm sure it's also been pointed out a million times before but the nose diversity on the characters is a nice thing to see - there are girl characters with large noses that aren't just joke characters or supposed to be seen as unattractive. On a related note, there are also chubby or fat characters that are also supposed to be seen as beautiful, and that's great. Rose in particular is portrayed as this mysterious beauty straight out of a shoujo series... actually SU as a whole seems very shoujo-y. Also it's got obvious romantic relationships between characters who, though they're aliens, seem to be feminine and use feminine pronouns, by Earth standards, of course.

My favorite character is Pearl by far (Amethyst probably coming in second), and my favorite episode so far is likely Sworn to the Sword, because of its message that you can't dedicate your entire existence to another person, and viewing the person you admire or love as absolutely perfect and yourself as nothing in comparison is unhealthy. In addition to this, the main song in the episode, Do It For Her, sounds very pretty, despite its lyrics being about the main conflict in the episode, Pearl essentially telling Connie that the latter is expendable, both directly ("...when you live for someone, you're prepared to die.") and implied ("With my short existence..." "Good."). This is one of the episodes where Pearl is shown to be flawed, to have an issue she needs to work on (and therefore shows character development).

I also like the character Onion, from what I've seen of him, personally I see him as autistic and so I kinda see myself in him sometimes.

Anyway, basically, Steven Universe, good show. Nice themes and lessons, also very pretty all around.

Over the Garden Wall was great too. I think they played it again this last October? Can't believe it's over a year old, still feels so recent...
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'm not convinced the average quality of western animation is dropping.

I've been a denizen of the Internet since at least 2000, longer than some of the younger members have been alive. Complaining that there's currently few good shows and plenty of crap on the airways while being nostalgic for old shows, some that were great, some that would make their fans cringe if rewatched without nostalgia goggles, have been near constants when it comes to discussions of western animation.

I think what's happening is that people tend to forget about the crappy shows once they get cancelled and fall from the airways and only the good shows get remembered, so good shows of yesteryear tend to have a disproportionate impact on people's memories of what television use to be like.

Even back in the late 90s and early 00s, what I'd personally call the Golden Age of Saturday Morning Cartoons, while there were timeslots where I'd be torn between 3 or even 4 different shows to watch, there were still timeslots I'd deem only one channel to have something worth watching. Don't ask me what the shows I deemed not worth watching were though, as I can't remember any of them.

Now granted, I do think Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network have both seen a drop in the quality of their original programming in recent years. I think Legend of Korra is the only Nick original from this decade I've had any interest in and I can't think of a single CN original from this decade I've seen/heard more than a few episodes of. Then again, going blind killed what interest I still had in television and nowadays, I'm more likely to prioritize a recommendation to read a fanfic or original web novel than to download or stream something I missed when it aired on TV.

In other news, one of my favorite bittorrent trackers put all of their Digimon Torrents up for free leech in memorial to Kouji Wada, so I took advantage to download the Dubs of Adventure through Frontier to marathon at an unspecified future date. They didn't have dub torrents for Savers or Xros Wars though.

Since I won't be taking summer classes this year(had planned to, but turns out I don't have to and the offers this year come down to things I've already taken, advanced topics in areas I haven't had the basics, subjects I've developed an adversion to, or are only offered online(not that desperate for something to do)), maybe I'll be able to get though my backlog of shows to listen to, audiobooks to listen to, ebooks to read and actually make some noteworthy progress on my writing and programming.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

As far as good new non-anime cartoons go, there is:
  • Steven Universe
    Gravity Falls
    Sonic Boom (Wait, was this made in Japan? I honestly don't know.)
    Angry Birds Toons
    Teen Titans Go (Sometimes. Just don't think of it being even related to the original and you should be good.)
    Spliced (Still kinda new?)
Anyway, here's the best modern stuff from the other side of the globe!
  • Dragon Ball Super
    Pokemon: XYZ
    Himouto: Umaru-Chan
    Squid Girl
    AKB0048
    Yo-Kai Watch
    Moon Phase (Kinda new maybe? Whatever it's one of the best anime ever so shut up. Also, **** Netflix for taking it off.)
    Mew Mew Kissy Cutie Puffle, no. Not funny.
    Mew Mew Kissy Cutie 2 Puffle stop.
    Corey in the House PUFFLE
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Pufflehugs wrote: Teen Titans Go (Sometimes. Just don't think of it being even related to the original and you should be good.)

I can't stand this show at all.

It fails, it fails at being funny, it fails at being teen titans, it's creators insult old fans just to look better by comparison. This show deserves to see the rabbits like Uncle Grandpa just did, because unless you have a complete writer overhaul there's no reason to even change the channel to Cartoon Network while they have this trashy, souless muck with less talent than a sonic OC playing for most of the day.

It's **** and your taste in animation needs surgery to fix.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

I can't stand this show at all.

It fails, it fails at being funny, it fails at being teen titans, it's creators insult old fans just to look better by comparison. This show deserves to see the rabbits like Uncle Grandpa just did, because unless you have a complete writer overhaul there's no reason to even change the channel to Cartoon Network while they have this trashy, souless muck with less talent than a sonic OC playing for most of the day.

It's **** and your taste in animation needs surgery to fix.
It made me laugh occasionally. Remember, I said sometimes. A majority of the time it's unfunny, but it's good moments are actually pretty funny. If there was anything to take off my list, it would be that.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Goat wrote:I can't stand this show at all.
It's funnier than Adventure Time I'll tell you that. Teen Titans Go feels more like the filler episodes of Teen Titans, like the ones with Control Freak to me.
Pufflehugs wrote:Sonic Boom (Wait, was this made in Japan? I honestly don't know.)
Sonic Boom is co-produced in by both America and France. Yes, you read that right.

Other than Spliced, which I have never seen or heard of, I would personally say those are good ones.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I'm not convinced the average quality of western animation is dropping.
Without the video, my argument is practically null.

On the other hand, back in 2008 or so, I was about 6 years old, and I didn't like any of the shows on Cartoon Network. (Minus Pokemon, which I wanted to start from the beginning for.)
For the most part this has still continued with a slow continual drop. I legitimately watched Boomerang, which had shows I had never seen before instead, and any show I watched which I thought was
just okay, I still them preferred to actual Cartoon Network.

And just as it is now, there's only one show from 2008 I liked. And I didn't even get to watch it when it originally aired.
But if I were to go back even further, and watch something I haven't I feel like I would like it more than the new stuff.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Spliced is essentially the best thing Teletoon ever made (which probably doesn't sound too good because Teletoon makes mostly ****.). It's got a bit of gross out, but it's mainly humour based on the stupidity of Peri, Entree and Smarty Smarts. Think Homer from the Simpsons or Sticks from Sonic Boom or Peter Griffin from Family Guy. It might be the nostalgia getting to me, though. It was my favourite show for about two years (there wasn't much else besides Pokemon for me to watch, since I had yet to spend 90% of my free time on the internet.).
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I personally think Western Animation has gotten far better in the past 5 years.

The only show on CN I liked before that was Billy and Mandy, now they have Adventure Time + Regular Show which are some of my favourite shows. There's also Gumball and some other stuff that's pretty good.

Nickelodeon's basically turned to garbage which is funny, because 7-8 years ago a lot of what I watched came from Nickelodeon (SpongeBob, Oddparents, some of the other non-cartoon shows). What do Nickelodeon even have now? One new SpongeBob episode each time the planets align?

Disney had Gravity Falls. Phineas wasn't bad. That's about all I remember watching from them anytime in the last decade that's a cartoon.

Also, I think Pufflehugs might have the worst taste in TV shows ever. Each to their own I suppose
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Crash I will drink your blood and sacrifice you to Chara and Mesprit somebody. I also don't watch much Western, so I basically have low standards when it comes to cartoons from here. I only have higher standards for anime and live action.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Disney is consistently better than Cartoon Network when it comes to original programming, as I've said several times.

Anyone who says western animation has improved at all in recent years isn't watching it. The action cartoon, at it's height in the 90s to early 2000s, is now practically dead (Disney has Marvel shows; CN killed it's DC shows and left nothing behind). In the 90s Nick was an animation juggernaut; now they struggle to keep a cartoon on the air for more than one season, and since Legend of Korra ended they barely have any cartoons. Disney, the only exception to the trend in mediocrity, itself has become increasingly dependant on low budget tween sitcoms, which were no where near as big a part of the network back in the Jetex days. Nick is just the same; CN does low production value shlock like Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go instead. None of these developments are good, none of them were true ten years ago.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Ivogoji wrote:Disney is consistently better than Cartoon Network when it comes to original programming, as I've said several times.
You know, it's funny. I think at some point we'll come full circle.

When I was a kid, Disney was considered literally the worst channel to watch. It was all live-action BS, which everyone hated as a kid, and even most teens hated it. At that time, Nick had the most inventive animation, and Cartoon Network had the "classics".
Then it all changed when Jetix attacked.

And now Disney is arguably the best channel, CN is terrible, and Nick is limbo.
Nano
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!

Post by Nano »

Ivogoji wrote:Disney is consistently better than Cartoon Network when it comes to original programming, as I've said several times.

Anyone who says western animation has improved at all in recent years isn't watching it. The action cartoon, at it's height in the 90s to early 2000s, is now practically dead (Disney has Marvel shows; CN killed it's DC shows and left nothing behind). In the 90s Nick was an animation juggernaut; now they struggle to keep a cartoon on the air for more than one season, and since Legend of Korra ended they barely have any cartoons. Disney, the only exception to the trend in mediocrity, itself has become increasingly dependant on low budget tween sitcoms, which were no where near as big a part of the network back in the Jetex days. Nick is just the same; CN does low production value shlock like Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go instead. None of these developments are good, none of them were true ten years ago.
It's really easy to nitpick the clearly bad TV shows on CN, but you clearly have left out all of the outstanding shows that people actually watch on it.

Before I talk about that though, let's get one thing straight. Teen Titans GO! isn't a terrible show. In fact, I'd say it's about on par with some of the other shows on CN in terms of entertainment. GO was not meant to be the next "super dark edgy" reboot to Teen Titans, if you think it should've been then clearly you're not watching GO for being a cartoon, you're watching GO for nostalgia. Nostalgia you will never get from that show. Would it have been nice to see Teen Titans come back? Yeah sure, I guess. It was a fantastic show, and I'm sure people from the past would've enjoyed to watch it again. However, that's not what happened. Go ended up being a reboot for Teen Titans that has attracted quite a number of fans when you stop to not focus on the negative "IT'S NOT THE OTHER ONE!!!".

I digress though. CN hasn't been at all losing in the cartoon race. It's either at the level Disney is at or even more at this point. Regular Show, Gumball, and Steven Universe are well done cartoons that show a level of maturity similar to cartoons in the past. I'd argue and say that sometimes they show even more at times. Adventure Time, though I haven't really been watching it, shows that it can have mature themes about death or love while also being silly and goofy. This was a hallmark trait in nearly all CN shows in the past 10-15 years, with Teen Titans, Ben 10, Courage, Powerpuff Girls, etc all having deep meaning while also being entertaining. More recent shows emulate that as well. Nothing has changed from the shows we liked in the past. I think the biggest complaint most people have is that it's not the >same< as it was in the 2000s. Shows aren't going to stay the same, that's the kind of ignorance that makes shows become stagnant. Shows need to change to appeal to a different audience, one that isn't blinded by rose tinted glasses and the constant wish for a reboot to their favorite show as a child. If cartoons had stayed the same as they did in the 70s, we'd still be seeing the same old "Coyote runs into wall chasing bird" gag. There's nothing wrong with the classics, but there's always a need to change the formula to appeal to an ever changing audience of people. It's the innovation that makes to appreciate the classics after all.

Also wanna mention Clarence cause it's a well done show and it never gets the credit it deserves. Same with We Bare Bears.

Disney has like three good shows that are still around I think. Star vs Forces of Evil, Gravity Falls (which ended), and Yonder. Other than that, there's absolutely nothing else that's even worth mentioning. I hated Phineas so meh. Star Wars has been ok I think, but it's still nothing to really write home about. Like, I don't understand where everyone is getting this "Disney is the best network" idea from. I'll give you the fact that most of their shows in the past 10-15 years have been original, but you could literally say that about every other show on CN or Nick.

Nick is just dumb now.