Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Re: Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Post by Pufflehugs »

JESUS CHRIST

Would right clicking it on the taskbar and selecting "Close Window" do anything different?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@Evilpinkamina: Easy for you isn't necessarily easy for the average user. In fact, if computer use wasn't so close to being a daily necessity in modern everyday life, I'd argue the average Windows User has no business being in front of a computer. The average Windows user would probably give you a vacant stare at your instructions for disabling Cortana, and if they lived on the opposite side of town, it would probably be quicker for you to travel cross town and do it yourself than try and walk them through it over the phone.

Hell, I'm a hardcore Linux user who does every thing I don't do within a web browser from the command line, have experience with digging into /usr and /var to delete junk that slows down making/restoring system backups and experience with restoring backups after deleting the wrong thing, and even I would be wishing for a "Click here to fix everything wrong with Windows 10" icon on the desktop(or whatever has replaced icons on whatever has replaced the desktop) in the event I ever had reason to use Win 10.

As for Linux, as much as I love it and would like for it to Smite Microsoft like the fist of an angry god, it has two things that prevents it from gaining mainstream use in the PC market and both of them are things that aren't likely to change until it reaches the mainstream. 1. Few PC builders offer pre-built systems pre-loaded with Linux, and the ones that do usually require ordering directly from the manufacturer's website. 2. The vast majority of PC software is either cross platform or Windows Exclusive with most of the Linux-exclusive stuff being part of a desktop environment and the vast majority of AAA games falling into the Windows Exclusive category.

If the average computer user could go into a store and demo machines running various flavors of Linux running various desktop environments, I suspect Linux would be used by a lot more people, especially if the store had qualified staff to help walk customers through the various customization options and how package management works, but stores demoing Linux aren't likely to happen on a wide scale until Linux becomes mainstream. Granted, if that level of customer service was common, far fewer people would have trouble with each new version of Windows.

But even among users for which installing an OS yourself isn't a challenge, you have many who continue to put up with Microsoft's ******** either because of that one app they need for work or a hobby that only runs on Windows and they don't have time to learn the Linux alternative if it exists, or they're a PC Gamer and DirectX remains the dominant multimedia API for PC game development. And, even without the malwarish attempts to force Win10 on as many Win7/8 users as possible, a must play game requiring the latest DirectX is all Microsoft needs to pull the PC Gamers into the new version.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:And, even without the malwarish attempts to force Win10 on as many Win7/8 users as possible, a must play game requiring the latest DirectX is all Microsoft needs to pull the PC Gamers into the new version.
Minecraft: Now only for Windows 10!
EvilPinkamina wrote:*post*
The privacy issues don't just stem from Cortana though, and even if they did, Cortana doesn't justify being able to read anything on your PC and send it to MS. It might be "there to make Cortana work", but for a lot of people a gimmick may not be worth such a large security risk.
I mean, there's so many things that can go wrong. What if someone spoofs the Microsoft servers? What if someone taps your network?

But then we have things like the privacy policy, which state that any data on your windows PC, and content you view on your PC, and data on OTHER PCs in your network, can all be accessed by Microsoft. Even if, again, you say that this is for Cortana's sake, that's a pretty big issue specifically for something many people won't even use.

Then we get tons of small things that are enabled from the start, like WUDO, which uses your computer to distribute windows updates though PTP, and almost 12 pages of Microsoft just trying to nab any info they can about you to sell to advertisers.

This is a TON of crap the average user has to wade through. In IT, we consider the average user to know absolutely nothing about computers, other than being able to use E-Mail and a search bar. There was even a class/certification I had to take that specifically teaches you how to interact with customers, and how to question them properly about their issues.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

And if the geeks weren't getting up in arms about it, the average user would never know until things went horribly wrong as almost no one ever bothers to read privacy policies, terms and conditions, end-user license agreements, etc.

Still, it's not likely this will cause people to migrate to less intrusive operating systems en masse. For the average user, the only viable options are use Windows, do all their computing on a tablet/smartphone, or become a luddite.
Starry Finita
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Be yourself!!

Post by Starry Finita »

EDIT: Thank goodness the update scheduling is no more, I can finally stay safe without worrying about that garbage. [And by "staying safe", I mean turning the Automatic Updates ON.]
ANOTHER EDIT: Screw it. I decided to upgrade to Win10 anyway.

I have Automatic Updates turned OFF, so what now, Micro$oft??!! :darkcool: :cool: :herocool:

...I have Windows 10 on a virtual machine anyway. [yay for being a Windows Insider!! :chaohappy: ]
Pufflehugs wrote:Would right clicking it on the taskbar and selecting "Close Window" do anything different?
No. I'm sure it'll be the same as clicking the X.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

You're kinda, like, a year late to this. Heck, I even have and somewhat enjoy Windows 10 nowadays.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Minus a few glaring privacy issues I think Microsoft is actually handling Windows 10 well, provided they’re actually starting to listen to feedback now (remember you can customize privacy settings now) and the fact that even running on a Mac it has only bluescreened maybe once or twice.

10 is really solid now and at this point people should stop wearing their tinfoil hats and realize that it’s a perfectly functional operating system.

The above post is breaking everything. There’s a reason that the registry is out of the way.