Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Post by Goat »

Ĩ̪̫̺̮̜̜̜͖̳ͪͣͧ͛ͦͩͪ͟ ̄ͧ̑̿̈̆̔̽̎̏͘҉͓̼̳̫̞̦̻̖̥̥̳͍̮T̂̆ͪ͆̑̐͗ͣͪ̏̂̂͘͠͏҉̟̱̯͚̣͉̙͕͎͍͓̻̠̥̺̳R̡̮͖̹̦͕͚͎̝̺̟̩̈ͬ̀͗͠I̴̸̥͇̪̯̙̮̳͉̘̺͐̍̏̀͡E̵̷̡͙̻̥̪͚̥̪͈͕̙̮͎̽ͬͨͧͣ͌ͅD̃ͦͭ̿̏̀̇̋̃͌̆̽ͥ͌͠҉̢̟̥̺̼ ̧͎̪͙̙͙̙̠͐̓͒̉̿̓̉̊͑̊̾͗ͪ̅͆͝Ṱ̴̢̛͍͈̮̰̫̓̍͋̅̆̀̚̚ͅͅǪ̨̟̹͈̟͚̻̯̦̭̝̦̖̠̯͙͗͐̅͋̔̉̄ͦ̒̇̎͆́͞ͅͅͅ ̧͔͉̤͈͔͕̠̬̫͖̪̤̻̘ͪ̈̀͌ͫ̇͆͂̿͢͟͡͡W̧̛̝̻̠̗̺͊̈̀ͭ͆̒́͌̈͒͛̕͠Ȃ̭̝̜͖̲͈̻̙̯͙͓̺̦͚̲̭̭͒̎͂ͮͭ͂̃̾ͩ̓̂̏ͮ́̀̚̚R̓͋ͪͣ̓͊ͫ͆ͩ̿̊ͩͧͬͧ̽ͤ̀͟҉̜̻̣̣̘̺̻͎̳͘N͕͉̩̹̜͙͚̈́ͫͬ̆ͬͮ̎̃̍͒͝ ͉̣̤ͨͯ͐̋ͤ̈́ͫ̈͊̓͊̅ͤ̎ͦ́̒͂͡T̸̗͎̥̯̝̗̿̀ͦ͂̈ͤ͗̀̿̐ͥ̃́̆͊ͯͦ̍͂́̀͡H̴̦͍̬͕̝̾̾ͯ̉́ͤ̀ͩ͌ͨ̎̒̽Ê̴̺͙̣͙͓ͯ̽̈́̒ͧ́͝M̶̴̜̥͚̻̜͔̯̪̮̾̏̆͗̂ͮ̒ͮ͂̋̇͋ͣͭ̾͒̎͛ͅ ͊̽̿͊͒͛ͭ͑͛ͧ͌̄̉͏̞͚̝̪À̵̃̉͆̉͞҉̷͏͓̳̟̯̰̹̗L̙̳͙̠̲͓͔͈̻͔͖̱̋̓ͮ̃̾̎͊͋̽̐̆̆́͘͜L̛̝̪̠̪͙̗̲̪̗̤͎̖̩̗̟̲͕ͯ́̋͑̽̓̽̌̍͝ͅ,̢̪̤̠͖͔̾̿̀̓̏̅ͧ̆̚̕͝ͅ ̸̷̶ͣ̽͑̏̎́̚͟҉̤͎̩̼̫B̶̧̟̩̳̦̻͔̟̜̲̘̬͍̞̙ͣ̀̄̂ͨ̃́ͅŲ̴̆̏̈̍̆͏̢̤̘̩͍̳͈̫̟̹̮̦͇̕T̸̎̓̽ͧͥͩ̌͊ͣ̋̾̚͏̝͍͉̲̘͖̣̻̹̳͎̟̜ͅ ̛̝̖̩̙̺̤̹̗͉͈͓̲̩͕͇͖̈́ͣ͂ͪ̓͊ͥͯ̈̂̏̂̀͘͜Ç͈̹̮̼̯̫͎̻̘̯̙͍͍̗̥͖͖̮̲ͬ͆̆̿̇̇̌̌̓̒̀͝O̧͕̞̥̱̘̪̰̬͕̪͇̤̮̺̘̱͂̄̈́̀̏̃̿̽͆̍̂̚͡ͅM̆̌ͬ̾҉̸̫͙̟̮̹͉̱͍͔̦̤̱̠̪̯̖̳̗P̸̵̡͚̲̺͉̠̑͊ͪ̑͂͑͊͗͛̀̔͑̎̿̑ͪ̈́̂͘͟L̸̟͍̘̻͍̯̼ͪͧ̈̐͑̚͢͜͞Ā̧̡̞͖̟͙̞͓̣̦͖̠͈͎ͤ̿͂̃ͣ͑͂̐̎͛̀́C̴̛̯̮̦̺̣̪̑̓͊͗ͨ͜È̢̦͖̲̭͙̟̰͉̠͇̎͊ͮ̾͛ͬ͑ͤ̄ͧ̎͐ͦ̔ͬ͡͞N̷̓ͨ̋͑ͯ̑͆̕͡͏͓̬̩̬̝͖̩̲̗͓̝̲͉Ç̛͔̪͍̙̪̹͍̱̫̰̺̙̪͖͖͚̩̤ͭͧͭ̋ͮY͐̉͒̌̓̃͛̀̕҉̗̺̼͈̠͈ ̢̾̒̋̂̽͘҉̣̩̪̲͎͓̻̯I̢̢͚̦̞̳̱̪̠͔͔ͮ͆͗͋̊͐̎͊͑̋͆̄̀͘͟Sͮͣ̿ͨͨͩ̉͊̍̍ͤ̔̔ͯ҉̴̶̹̯̮̱͍̣͖̬͍͖̭͟͞ ̸̬̠͙̬̘̥̬͓̦̖͈̼̤͔̲̯ͯͥ̾͜͞ͅĘ̴͓͉̜̲̯̣̼̳̳̮̝͈͆̀͆ͤ͒̅̅ͩ̂̓̋͒̄̇ͮͤ̔͢͜A̸̡̘̻͇͚̬̭̝̞͂ͫͥͥ̋́͢S̴̵͖̤̺͈ͭͨ̒ͥ̈́̅ͮ̈́̈ͤͪ́ͥ̀͢͠I̯̜̘̪͎̖̜͍̩̫͍͇̘͓̟̪̜̲͒̑͊ͮ̔ͬͩ͒͂ͫ̌̍̈́͐̀Ę̡̞̮͙̫̙̳̱̙͓͖̲̞͓͍̀ͫ̇ͬ͗ͤ̍͒̒͂ͪ̿ͦ͗̂̀̒̚͢ͅR̬̝̳̯̜̤̓ͨ̿ͤͨ̚͘͝ ̶̟̯̝͉̫͖̭͇̼̺̟̤̬͊ͯ̃͊̓ͦ͆ͯͧ͛͆̌̂ͬ̀̚T̛̻̲̠̟̳̗̲͕̝̺̯̝̈́͛͋ͪ̐͒̿̀̉̽ͬͨ̆͞ͅḢ̸̛͔̼̦̬̜̣̲̹̙͖̹̬̝͐ͬ͐̐͑ͬ̐͑̾́Ả̛͉̦͔̦͎̻͕̻̰̝̜͍̟̣̥͊͆́̂͛̍̐̏͋̃̓̒̓ͥ̓̏̒̚̕͜͡Ņ̴̖̝̫̥͚͔̣̪͍̝͙͖̱̜ͪ̎ͩ̓̐̀ͣ̌͑̅̈ͩ̃́̃̀́̚̕ ̵̢͚̞̲̳̯̜͓̰̻͔̫̹͔̱͉̔͑̾͋̋͒͛̾̓͆ͮ͝Ą̡͈͉̩̞͗̎ͥ͒ͥ̋͊͑̄̔́͞͡C̷̤͖̣̳̖̱͈̺͇̬͎ͮ̏̐͐̐ͯ͘T̴̨̈́ͨͨ̃̒͋͒͜͞͏͓͍̲̫Į̡̩̲̖̪̇ͫ͆͗͋̔̀̆ͩ̆̀̀͠O̴͈̞͓̘̘̝̠̭͈̭̲̳̭͙͓̾̓͂̃͡ͅN̷̦̻̮̫͔̤̮̲̖̔̂̏̏̋͗͐̾͂̿̀͡ͅ

To simply avoid most of this though, here you go (Language disclaimer)
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Re: Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Post by Lamby »

i've had automatic updates off ever since that "security update" that actually just installed the "Get Windows 10" prompt and i kept uninstalling it but always sneaked in there

now i haven't seen anything since like the fall, so far
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

I kept deleting the 303 whatever kb update that tried to push it but I eventually got tired of fighting it so I got this program to automatically block windows 10 for me. x3
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Windows 10 has officially crossed the line separating legitimate software from malware
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I haven't used Windows on my own machines since the XP days, so this is just the latest in a long line of Microsoft BS I've avoided over here in Linux Land.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I came home from a weekend trip to my laptop on and having already installed Windows 10. Luckily there was a terms and policy thing that I could decline, which reverted my version of Windows back to 7, and didn't seem to damage any personal data. Now I adjusted my updating setting, but I don't doubt Microsoft will play games around it.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

Post by moonsoul »

Some businesses I'm familiar with have been going through a lot of suffering due to this. I really feel bad for them. It's bad enough for the update to cause problems with peoples personal data, but to hurt businesses too? Microsoft is looking like it'll get a lot of flak for making others lose their profits. I hope it's enough of an incentive for them to think twice before pulling a stunt like this again.
Vampires smell good.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

*Checks old WIndows 7 laptop*

Good as new and still has Windows 7 on it. And by good as new, I mean about 1/4 as slow as a snail and still full of my old files.

But what's wrong with Windows 10? I've been using it since January.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I still use Windows 7
Why would you ever want Windows 10 other than DirectX 12
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

i like 8.1 better than 10, debating whether to upgrade for free before june.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I got Windows 10 because my version of Windows 7 limited my ram usage to 16 gigs and i had 24 gigs in the system.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

The optimist in me says hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and ends Microsoft's strangle hold on the home computer market as millions consider the alternatives to running Windows. The realist in me knows most people will continue to be too afraid of change to give other OSes a fair chance and Microsoft won't have any incentive to cut the ********.

@Chao Adventures: From what I've read, it's the same old story with Microsoft OSes. Win 10 works just fine on computers built for it, but like crap on most other machines, and even if you're lucky to have a compatible machine, the UI still got a significant overhaul for no apparent reason with no built-in option to use the UI from the good old days. Of course, the real dick move on Microsoft's part is that the update is being forced down the throats of as many people as possible without any sanity checks to ensure your system is compatible with Win 10.

At this point, I'd be scared to connect a Win7/8 Virtual Machine to the Internet.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

chaoadventures wrote:But what's wrong with Windows 10? I've been using it since January.
It's a change. Changing is NEVER good.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

chaoadventures wrote:But what's wrong with Windows 10? I've been using it since January.
Why Windows 10 is spyware?

Because it has all the attributes of spyware:

Downloads itself to your machine without you specifically asking for it? YES
Aggressively attempts to install itself taking over your computer in the process? YES
Sends unknown and/or encrypted data to known and unknown third parties? YES
Sends personally identifying information to known and unknown third parties? YES
Easy to remove? NO
In short, it looks like spyware, smells like spyware, walks like spyware and talks like spyware. Windows 10 is spyware.
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... #Windows10
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... ows10myths
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... s10spyware

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-p ... ta-abused/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... egardless/
http://fudzilla.com/news/38470-windows- ... for-piracy
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/10/windows-10.html
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-te ... microsoft/
"This weekend we upgraded my 14-year-old son's laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Today I got a creepy-ass email from Microsoft titled 'Weekly activity report for [my kid]', including which websites he's visited, how many hours per day he's used it, and how many minutes he used each of his favorite apps."
Unfortunately for privacy advocates, these controls don't appear to be sufficient to completely prevent the operating system from going online and communicating with Microsoft's servers.
Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. While again the requests contain no identifying information, it's not clear why they're occurring at all, given that they have no corresponding tile.

Other traffic looks a little more troublesome. Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies.
I EXPECT YOU TO READ ALL THIS IF YOU WANT A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF WHY MOST PEOPLE SAY WINDOWS 10 IS NOT A GOOD THING

Aside from Microsoft going evil, there's also the fact that not all programs will work on windows 10. Meaning some programs have the possibility of breaking
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop to 10. It has 8.1 on it, and I don't really have anything on my laptop I don't mind anyone else seeing, since my personal info isn't tied to it.

Plus, my laptop has a touch screen, so it's not like the UI will get me down.

The main reason I'd want to update, is so that I can finally get Killer Instinct and all those other games for free, alongside all of the cool new stuff M$ is adding to it in an effort to try to get people to upgrade.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Win 10 works just fine on computers built for it, but like crap on most other machines
actually i dualboot win10 on my mac and it actually works better than OS X surprisingly
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Disclaimer: anything I say about Windows later than XP is based solely on the impressions I get from the internet. I've never used Win8/10, and my experience with 7 is limited to thinking Aero is too much eyecandy(then again, I didn't like XP-style, and made every install I've ever had of XP look as much like Win98/2000 as possible). Also, while I haven't used a Apple PC for any significant amount of time since the days of the Classic Macintosh(which was back in the days before I learned to type), I'll agree Win10 running well on a modern mac is surprising, especially with how notorious modern macs are for fighting you tooth and nail if you try putting anything other than OSX on them.

Still, it seems to be the general trend with new versions of Windows, people upgrading an existing Windows PC to the latest often run into bugs galore, many due to broken hardware compatibility while those who buy a new PC with the latest Windows tend to have mainly issues related to whatever changes for the sake of change Microsoft has made to the UI. As much as Vista has a reputation of being Win7's crappy public beta, I've heard it actually runs quite well of machines built specifically for it.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Win 10 works fine for me, And i've had seemingly none of these privacy issues. And even then i have nothing i'd hide or care about being shared so no harm done
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

I actually had to disable Win7 updates on my laptop before because said updates caused my laptop to fail to boot Windows so I had to System Restore every time.
Forcing upgrades is kinda ridiculous though. I have Win10 on my new desktop computer and it's working well, but I don't want to update my already-slow laptop into something that could possibly fry it for good if it isn't compatible with 10.
- space for rent -
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Easy to remove? NO
Linux home.
"This weekend we upgraded my 14-year-old son's laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Today I got a creepy-ass email from Microsoft titled 'Weekly activity report for [my kid]', including which websites he's visited, how many hours per day he's used it, and how many minutes he used each of his favorite apps."
Gotta opt into that.
Unfortunately for privacy advocates, these controls don't appear to be sufficient to completely prevent the operating system from going online and communicating with Microsoft's servers.
A large majority of that is cortana, which is really easy to turn off.
Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. While again the requests contain no identifying information, it's not clear why they're occurring at all, given that they have no corresponding tile.
Cortana.
Other traffic looks a little more troublesome. Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies.
Cortana, OneDrive, and Microsoft Store.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

"Microsoft changed the coding on the “X” so that clicking it now instructs MS to “upgrade” your computer to Windows 10."

Pink, I know we've had our ups and downs but no one gets anything out of defending and especially playing devils advocate with windows 10, except windows 10.
KeatonLabs wrote:Win 10 works fine for me, And i've had seemingly none of these privacy issues. And even then i have nothing i'd hide or care about being shared so no harm done
Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

EvilPinkamina wrote:A large majority of that is cortana, which is really easy to turn off.
Actually my brother updated to 10 and even if you turn Cortana "off" in the options, it still runs and shows up in the processes. Had to actually look up how to turn it off for good, which involved renaming and deleting the Cortana process, but it warned that doing so takes the search with it. So no, it's not really easy, since just trying to stop or delete it outright doesn't even work.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

You just rename the cortana folder then shut the process off. Its not hard. Why you'd want to is beyond me because I personally use Cortana a lot, but the option's there for people who don't want it.

Also, to Goat, that is just ****** business practice on MS's end. I'll be the first to say that Microsoft is garbage, but Windows 10 as an OS isn't that bad. Like I said tho, Linux. Microsoft and Apple aren't the only OSes out there.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Start a topic and help people crossover to a different OS if you want, people are going to have problems and unless someone is there to address them no ones going to have an easy time making that switch.

Aside from that, Windows has a soft monopoly considering how many programs and games run on windows.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

I bought a new laptop this year because my old one packed up, and so I got Windows 10 because I wasn't provided another option. I immediately set about digging into the settings opting out of all the spyware-like stuff they automatically opt you into, which is a ton of stuff. Even now I still wonder if there was anything I've missed.

I've always been used to Windows, though I don't think highly of Microsoft as a company.

None of this surprises me.