Orlando Terrorist Attack

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Orlando Terrorist Attack

Post by Goat »

Charlie Hebdo
Paris
San Bernardio
Brussels
Orlando

Edit: 50+ confirmed dead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tages.html
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orland ... index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12/po ... tcmp=hpbt1

I really like the times I've been to Orlando, I remember the sun setting as Hotel California played while my family took me to the nearest Chaufa (Peruvian+Chinese Fusion) that seems to be a staple in the area. Or the times I was taken to Kissame despite how bored I would get. This is to say nothing about the trip to Disney World I've taken with my family and when I was in elementary school.

Give that this is an hour away from my home in florida, it hit a little too close for comfort.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: Orlando Terrorist Attack

Post by Sable »

was the first thing i heard about this morning as soon as i opened my eyes. really messed up. my heart goes out to the families of all involved. i wish i was close enough to go donate blood but i'm five hours away :X

also, another guy was caught carrying explosives and military-grade firearms to a pride parade in LA - authorities say there's no known connection at the moment but it eems really suspicious
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMbJUp-06e0
WHAT IS UP DRAMA ALERT NATION I'M YOUR HOST KILLER KEEMSTAR LEEEEEET'S GET ROOOOOOIGHT INTO THE NEWS
today we have fellow internet user "eboy" on the line, offhandedly mentioning that he was a homophobe
eboy wrote:i'm actually kinda a homophobe but i don't hate em

this is ridiculous. don't blow people up because they're gay
as a result of this, many users such as "Twiddle." and "Sable" have started backlash against it, mentioning that "you can't help being gay" and "this isn't the most considerable thing to admit"
eboy has apologized, but the drama continues
Last edited by eblu on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

so not only was this a gay bar that got attacked, but it was also during Latino Night at the Pulse.

and speaking as somebody who is both lgbt and latinx, this terrifies the hell out of me
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

eboy wrote:i'm actually kinda a homophobe
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Dr. Roivas wrote:so not only was this a gay bar that got attacked, but it was also during Latino Night at the Pulse.

and speaking as somebody who is both lgbt and latinx, this terrifies the hell out of me
Well if I recall he only targeted gays.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

eboy wrote:i'm actually kinda a homophobe but i don't hate em

I don't want to argue but I just wanna say that this isn't the most considerate thing to admit, ever but especially now

I really hate the fact that what is apparently the most deadly mass shooting in the US so far is also a LGBT+ hate crime. Kinda scary for me as well... :herocry:

I can't even imagine what the families and friends of the victims must be going through right now.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Eboy being "Kinda" a homophobe didn't kill these people.
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

This deeply disturbed me when I learned about it this morning, and it was pretty unsettling to learn that the killer lived very close to where I do.

Prayers go to everyone affected, and their families.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Dr. Roivas »

Goat wrote:
Dr. Roivas wrote:so not only was this a gay bar that got attacked, but it was also during Latino Night at the Pulse.

Well if I recall he only targeted gays.
From what I've read it sounded like he specifically planned out the attack on that night. But like, even if I'm wrong and there was no racial violence involved, it doesn't change the fact that 50 lgbt latinx people were killed, with at least 51 one more hospitalized. It doesn't change the fact that, as a gay person of color, I feel far less safe in this nation. It doesn't change the fact that, if what sable said about LA is true, there could be attacks in the state I live in.

To say I'm worried about the safety of me and my community, both lgbt and latinx, is an understatement.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Goat wrote:Eboy being "Kinda" a homophobe didn't kill these people.
Why is it you always want to debate these things? Can't you pause for a moment to respect those who have died?
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

There's going to be a vigil held for the tragedy in my area tomorrow night; hopefully transportation issues won't stop me from attending.

Also.
Spoiler:
Eboy's comment was inappropriate enough.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Dr. Roivas »

^if I could further corrupt that devito face, believe me I would
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Dr. Roivas wrote:From what I've read it sounded like he specifically planned out the attack on that night. But like, even if I'm wrong and there was no racial violence involved, it doesn't change the fact that 50 lgbt latinx people were killed, with at least 51 one more hospitalized. It doesn't change the fact that, as a gay person of color, I feel far less safe in this nation. It doesn't change the fact that, if what sable said about LA is true, there could be attacks in the state I live in.

To say I'm worried about the safety of me and my community, both lgbt and latinx, is an understatement.
I've been worried about the safety of myself, my friends, family, and country for a long time too. There's a very obvious way this line of dialogue can go but I like to think we both know where it leads.
Twiddle. wrote:
Goat wrote:Eboy being "Kinda" a homophobe didn't kill these people.
Why is it you always want to debate these things? Can't you pause for a moment to respect those who have died?
Eboy isn't the problem here
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Vaporwave wrote:There's going to be a vigil held for the tragedy in my area tomorrow night; hopefully transportation issues won't stop me from attending.
Ah, perhaps I should look up such a thing for my area. But then again, if there were, I might be scared to attend, since it would also be a large gathering of people, possibly containing a fair amount of LGBT+ people... Who knows what might happen? u~u;;

From time to time I forget that simply being gay or trans can get you hurt or killed in this society. It's sickening.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

i still accept lgbts
and i do respect them
what was that about accepting everyone again?
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

^You can't help being gay. You can help being a homophobe. No one has to accept a homophobe, especially if it affects them personally. If you have nothing against LGBT+ people then why even call yourself a homophobe?? If it was a joke then it was in really poor taste.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I thought orientation could change

Edit: We don't really need this to continue do we? I mean I'm all for it but the shoulder angel thinks we'd all be better off not having this continue.
Last edited by Goat on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Dude if I were able to change that then I wouldn't still be asexual after thinking I was broken for years.

If you're going to continue with this then seriously please make another topic or PM me because I know I don't want an argument like this in a topic about something this sensitive, and I'm sure some other people feel the same way.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Consider that appendix over then
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

My condolences to everyone and their families.

Nice derailment btw 10/10
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

i might not consider myself gay but i am non-binary and latinx so just like roivas this is specially concerning to me... i'm currently living in texas, a state that very much loves its guns...

i think it's really disgusting that people want to label this as a religious attack because the shooter was muslim when many character witnesses have described him as unbearably violent, loudly homophobic, and not at all religious. even his own father has called him out on this. he said hsi son has no motive other than he was an homophobe. i know that it also being racial violence is highly unlikely and latin night coinciding with the day he planned the attack was likely coincidental but i'm suspicious because lately i've seen a lot of latinphobia and erasure from poc groups... very open hatespeach from non-whites to "mexicans" specifically or at least what they call mexican...

currently staying for the summer in mexico and having lived here for 18 years before i'm extremely used and desensitized to arbitrary violence, there's multiple shooting across the nation every day and every few days at least one in my town specifically but trust me, the fear towards arbitrary violence doesn't begin to compare at all to the tragedy of targeted acts of terror... this person harmed over a hundred people and killed half of them not because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time or because he was just a crazy gunman... he shot them all personally because of his convictions and his hatred and just like him there are so many people harboring the same emotions... and people like trump claim the solution is even more guns or blocking off a specific group from even living in the country...

it doesn't help that there's been reports of armed people or explosives found near pride LA... i don't know how much of that is true but everyone i know is really scared... my girlfriend had a breakdown because she was planning to go to pride cincy... my heart goes out for all the victims and everyone who personally knew them... their grief must be tremendous... specially the families of victims that were outed because they were killed at a gay bar... they'll never get to show them the love and acceptance im sure they must be dying to convey right now...
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

If you're opening all of this for discussion, are you willing to let the conversation continue here or elsewhere?
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

if you mean me i posted here so yeah converse here
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Wonderful, and you want to know something funny about guns and this case? The guy himself was under terrorist watch from the FBI, yet they allowed him to purchase his guns legally despite common sense shifting towards "HE'S ON TERRORIST WATCH". Aside from that, the place itself had a no gun policy if you really want to bring guns into the grand scheme of things.

He was still praying at his Mosque, and here's something very interesting. His Imam was not happy to see that he wound up going like this. I'd like to bring up that when it comes to the father, his own father himself had previously said God will punish gays and is a Taliban supporter.

Also, if you want to talk about latinphobia or erasure, you just need to look a bit further south into Bolivia. My own friend there has reported that their leader is currently busy driving a wedge between "natives" and "mixed breed" because of the fact that they have "conquerer blood" inside of them. So if anyone here thinks they're safe and will still be called POC down the line, then I hope you're ready to fight for that much, I know where I threw my chips in.

Also, I think what you describe about mexico is rather important, what you describe is a torn nation versus a lone act. You can't really compare them because they're not similar problems, not because of a difference in loss of life. Now, I really do think owning a gun is rather important if you recall Warren v. District of Columbia, the case that told us all "police have no responsibility to protect you." I personally believe we need to have personal responsibility for ourselves rather than listen to the boogeymen of Hillary.

But if the "blocking people from the country" also bothers you, it very clearly doesn't bother Omar's Imam or the muslim groups that have come out in support of Trump, and that makes sense. Why would they want their peace of mind compromised by "refugees" when in reality we have been told multiple times by ISIS itself that they would infiltrate and hide among them and commit acts of terror, which they have done so at Paris, at Brussels, and now here. Muslims extremists kill other muslims first, and the muslim citizens of the USA know that very well.

Now, I know Bernie's chances are gone at this point but if people are worried about the armed man in LA then it should be important to note that the man involved was a Bernie Sanders supporter. By their values alone I can only imagine he would have pulled an act of terror against LA due to Hillary's win there.