Entertainment and Art

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Re: Entertainment and Art

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

Not to come across as inflammatory, but the only person I've strongly agreed with us Pentagrami and I find it very disappointing that so many posts have been revolving around some sense of superiority over art. I have to wonder, does anyone in this topic have a history in participating in art? Or has anyone taken art history or appreciation? There's no sense of elitism when I say this, though it'll certainly sound like it, but you can't have a possibly valid opinion on art if you do not participate or have a background in it yourself. And there's a difference between like doodling or free writing versus putting passion and yourself into a work of art, ya know? Like, you people are harping on the damn shark girl stuff, but you're only debating your aesthetic appreciation of the anime shark girl (which is a can of worms in itself), pentagrami's modern art piece (which I personally find really interesting), and the bodegon. Sure, your personal definition of art may invalidate whatever piece, but that doesn't make it not art, it just makes it something you can't appreciate. I find the anime shark girl tasteless, the bodegon a harsher, darker take on still life painting, and the modern art shark girl fascinating in and of itself. Of course you can disagree but to call the latter two not art is ridiculous. I also find a lot of you discussing art in incorrect terms or in an excessively layman kind of way which is fine but it also makes claims like "this isn't art" much harder to swallow.
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

What did you expect? This isn't a fine art forum. You can't expect a deep discussion about modern art if none of us partake in it. I doubt even the most talented artists on the forum are that in-depth with their knowledge about art.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

If a picture is worth a thousand words then it shouldn't take a person a thousand words to describe a rock.

Also, I do appreciate art, as much as I'm sure that artists of the past are rolling in their graves with enough force to shoot out of the ground by now if they could see what art has become. It is because I have gone through both I know a rock is a rock and a sculpture made of rocks stops being a rock.

You yourself can avoid saying "I don't mean to sound like" if you plan on moving the goalposts as to who gets to have a valid opinion on art. If normal people aren't allowed to have an opinion, that would imply the current world of modern art is an echo chamber.
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Normal people can have opinions sure but like they can't have definitive stances they proclaim to have any air of objectivity with. Saying "your opinion is wrong" or "this definitely isn't art" or "this shouldn't be art" is not something anyone can really decide, especially not people with no investment in art

And you presuming what artists are like is kind of banal. If Leonardo Da Vinci was alive now his methodology would be incredibly different.

And don't use argumentative rhetoric on me please.
Reviews for Ravenyte
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

i feel like you still haven't considered the amount of work that went into that particular rock

many calculations were needed regarding its particular weight distribution and the physical implications of maintining a massively dense object with an extremly irregular surface perched perfectly over two previously existing support points. not to mention that led to the placement process which was a job for not one person but a few along with some machinery. a process which undoubtedly needed to be more careful and considerate of the rock's particular boundaries than the usual transportation of deliberate man-crafted shapes.

imo that all is deserving of appreciation not to mention it is surely far more wondrous seen in person before a thought buffer and even more so to young kids who can't even begin to consider the happenings behind it

of course i can understand that you personally don't appreciate it but dont act like a boulder fell there by chance and someone put a price tag on it
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

You'd be surprised how much can be discredited the moment tradition kicks back in and sets a clear definition as to what art is versus the idea that modern art brought with it. The history of art had conventions, modern art has none, we can still call it art, we can call it a subgenre, but the attitudes of it should not be held as the standard if art history shows us the effort of paint and stone.

As for artists of the past, why not invoke them if Art history was brought into the fray? His methodology I doubt would be much different when you take into consideration art wasn't his only forte.

@Penta

Not all effort is equal
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

yeah sure buddy with buddy, effort with different approachea and purposes

as one tries to capture human form in inorganic matter the other has a completely different (and at the time of your example pretty much impossible to consider) aim of making a blatant juxtaposition between man-made and natural world structures forced to work together.

you seem to continue to ignore the whole aspect of purpose and deliberately throw all the implications of modern pieces out the window buddy
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

You're arguing as if art historians don't respect modern art or don't consider it valid which is bizarre, because that's not accurate. Most art historians are very interested in modern art and continued development of new art forms. That's why someone like Abramovich is wildly highly regarded, and why Rothko or Pollock are very relevant.

And I'm saying you shouldn't bring them up because obviously none of us know what they would actually think of newer art forms without considering how they would function in modern contexts. And Da Vinci's engineering and anatomical designs would most certainly be very different were he to craft **** now, you know?
Reviews for Ravenyte
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

https://youtu.be/FCtQUE6tMpA

i suggest you watch this if you want some insight on how a "skilled brush" can come to have an appreciation and fascination with the implications of modern art, i think matisse is a very relatable artist that can serve as a gateway from classical art into modernity if one follows his experience and this documentary does it very well
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

@Penta
I'm glad we agree I don't take modern art seriously.

@Strawberry
Actually, I was waiting for that much to be admitted before reaching my next point.

I'm very well aware of how long the age of modern art has lasted and how it's century long protest against conventional art both changed and consequently managed to ruin it as wel. The fact that the ideals of modern art would get passed down into the historians is no surprise to me when you consider the amount of generations we've had grown up in the environment.

On another note

Rothko

Pollock

Am I supposed to be the market for this or is it for the art critics to buy based on name recognition or stretched interpretation?
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

listen buddy no one's telling you to invest in modern art if you don't want to just don't give other people **** for seeing more in it than you deliberately prevent yourself from doing
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

That makes enough sense, but shouldn't we change the subject then?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

The topic was supposed to be about entertainment and art, idk why it turned into "i don't like modern art so no one should" v "you do you, i'll do me"
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Pentagrami »

i hope you've been properly awarded for your sick observation skills
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Are you sure that's how it went Pink?

I distinctly remember causing a lot of ass hut on this website over trying to spread the idea of "You do you, I do me."
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

idk i mean i really like the pollock painting for the colors. i dont see a hidden meaning in modern art, but rather, i dont criticize it, and if it has colors i like i go "hey i like that"

i just dont have it in me to go "this is a painting of one solid color worth thousands of dollars its STUPID" because im not the one who bought it so why should i care? if someone can buy a solid color for that much money, good for the artist, im glad they can make money off of rich people's different taste.
y'all...
Image Image Image
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Fun fact: Mozart has a song called Leck mich im Arsch
Reviews for Ravenyte
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

For what it's worth, I used Art, Music, and Theatre Appreciation for three of the humanities I needed for my associate's degree.

That said, I can't say I'm a fan of the distinction between "fine" and "popular" art, and find plenty of worth to my own tastes in both realms along with plenty I don't care for and do my best to ignore the elitists no matter where their personal preferences lie.