Breaking News: Shots fired in Dallas

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Re: Breaking News: Shots fired in Dallas

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

eboy wrote:yknow guys it would be real nice if we could perhaps talk about something without someone causing drama is that cool?

anyway investigative update
I mean

I'm not surprised this turned into drama, like I said from the start.

If it's BLM, that sucks. If it isn't BLM, that still sucks.
Things suck either way.
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

ok but actually
what drama

jimmy and banned brian? yeah ok WOW so saucy and intense, could really feel the heat of the broiler. this is a sensitive, awful subject, of course emotions will exist, y'all never seem to care about drama otherwise.
eboy's seme
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

^
hey kid nearly every topic on this godforsaken forum has ended up in drama so it's become a relative bother
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

hey kid ive been on this hell site for 8 years. you're just a glorified ****poster who cant handle their white oppression and homophones.

and tastefully photographed pics of your face.

contribute thoughtfully to aidan's topic or you're as bad as triert.
eboy's seme
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

i'm just trying to be a peacekeeper because there's way too much salt on this website :herosway:
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

it's called brackish now for your information.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ot-to-kill found this bit of nightmare fuel.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ted-gunman and info on a shooter.
eboy's seme
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

patrick, u should know reality and seriously scary issues are obv too dramatic to actually correct poisonous rhetoric and distortions of facts. chill out, sugar, wow

no but seriously, glad you're actually bothering to follow the story because i have been busy with hospitals so i've basically brushed up through you. anyway, this was pretty mortifying. even worse, living in southeast virginia is horrible, my fb was littered with rants from anti-progressive crybabies and other derivative breitbart style racist baloney, btw that reminds me

______
Law enforcement officials have provided NPR with what they believe is Johnson's manifesto. As we reported, "In the short purported manifesto, the writer points to police shootings of black Americans as his motivation and criticizes the Black Lives Matter movement."
i like this part bc it really illustrates that even with information that's readily available every day, you still have right wing and prejudiced goofballs working to maintain a status quo of justifying the deaths of the black community and the media circus to dig something up, any mistake someone has ever made, any misleading photograph "because "thugs" brought it on themselves". so when someone tells me the media and progressives are pushing some anti-cop narrative i have to ask what country and what universe do you think you live in?

but this goes even deeper. this was a horrible tragedy and any american (**** you rudy guliani) trying to use this to beat down blm, a progressive movement, while saying you are outraged about the officer's deaths, is about the most vile disingenuous garbage i've ever heard. it was a peaceful protest and saying "see blm activists are terrorists" is a total insult to the handful of officers that as far as i know were actually talking with the organizers and treating protesters like people, which is definitely a step up from brutality elsewhere as well as kinda ignorant and hurtful to BLM's legitimate activism.

blm had more class in their response and support for the community and police than their "critics" combined.

that's really all i have to say about that because i'm basically parroting the posters who actually added to this topic. i guess some people think tragedy topics should encourage fence sitting centrism and avoiding calling tasteless posts out, but as a 23 year old woman i've learned reality is nuanced; it's possible to react with empathy and maintain sympathy for terrible things while also rejecting poisonous attitudes

tl;dr even if there was "drama," timid complacency and avoidant apathy of any form is worse. but drama for me is like some fool broke my nail, not a heated serious discussion that doesn't seem to be derailed imo. also i wanted to post a day ago but didn't, so late
______

also i don't know how i feel about basically primitive robocop. i mean in this situation, alright, certainly had to protect people but, yeah i think you put it best, kinda cool and scary
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Batty wrote:patrick, u should know reality and seriously scary issues are obv too dramatic to actually correct poisonous rhetoric and distortions of facts. chill out, sugar, wow
Nice.
Batty wrote:you still have right wing and prejudiced goofballs working to maintain a status quo of justifying the deaths of the black community and the media circus to dig something up, any mistake someone has ever made, any misleading photograph "because "thugs" brought it on themselves". so when someone tells me the media and progressives are pushing some anti-cop narrative i have to ask what country and what universe do you think you live in?
The media circus works on both sides. You have left media trying to push their own agenda, and you have right media trying to push theirs. You have to look past it all. This was a tragedy. We should remember this as a tragedy. We should REMEMBER this tragedy. If we start discussing political viewpoints and arguing in this forum again, we will lose track of where we started. A tragedy.
Batty wrote: but this goes even deeper. this was a horrible tragedy and any american (**** you rudy guliani) trying to use this to beat down blm, a progressive movement, while saying you are outraged about the officer's deaths, is about the most vile disingenuous garbage i've ever heard.
Yes. This was a horrible tragedy. I've already stated that we shouldn't use it to push any political agenda. Both the left and right are trying to use this to push their own politics. Again, you have to look past that, and you have to not get caught up in the tide.
Batty wrote: it was a peaceful protest and saying "see blm activists are terrorists" is a total insult to the handful of officers that as far as i know were actually talking with the organizers and treating protesters like people
People jumped the gun. They saw a black man shoot cops, and jumped the gun. It sucks, but it happens.
People jumped the gun during the original civil rights movement.
People jumped the gun when 9/11 happened.
People jumped the gun when Orlando happened.
People will probably jump the gun in the future, especially if the minority/disenfranchised individuals took part in the act.
It was a mistake. It happens. And personally, a lot of my right-swinging and left-swinging friends have apologized for doing such.
Batty wrote: that's really all i have to say about that because i'm basically parroting the posters who actually added to this topic. i guess some people think tragedy topics should encourage fence sitting centrism and avoiding calling tasteless posts out, but as a 23 year old woman i've learned reality is nuanced; it's possible to react with empathy and maintain sympathy for terrible things while also rejecting poisonous attitudes
If we all just kept cool and didn't jump the gun on any of this, there wouldn't be any tasteless posts less than a day after the shooting took place. We had very little to go off of. There was nothing that anyone could "add" to the topic, other than their own political agenda, or prayers and good thoughts at that point in time. You can react with empathy, sure, but at the same time, you can still push your ideas and agendas on without even thinking about it. When we have a lack of information, we tend to fill in the blanks, instead of backing up and waiting, and hoping everything will be okay.
Keeping people posted on a situation is fine, but discussing your political viewpoints on what could be considered a terrorist attack before all of the evidence is laid out, and you have a chance to calm down and look past any propaganda, IS toxic. It's what makes people forget about tragedies. It's what makes people argue up until the next one happens. If everyone just took a second to calm down, send prayer, and wait for the facts, then maybe we could all come onto a consensus on a topic.

But instead we have people jumping the gun on both sides, and then when the dust settles, both sides start using whatever facts they were right about as more ammunition.
Batty wrote: tl;dr even if there was "drama," timid complacency and avoidant apathy of any form is worse. but drama for me is like some fool broke my nail, not a heated serious discussion that doesn't seem to be derailed imo. also i wanted to post a day ago but didn't, so late
Waiting is not the same as complacency.
Waiting is sometimes the best thing you can do before coming upon a decision, and arguing your decision heatedly.
If you don't wait, you make an uninformed decision on a subject, or you simply just don't make your own.
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

i dont think anything you said was invalid but i dont see a lot of political ******** here aside from goat which you know goat, how he does.
the rest of the topic has been, idk, discussion around that, people whining about drama, and then me out here with my news updates.
what im saying is more so that like the only issue is goat, and that civil discussions are totally possible if we get over being wimpy about wanting to have civil convos.

and i think by now theres a good amount of info, like if you look at objective facts, police reports, AP, theres a story here and more than enough to be like "yikes, this is bad, how do we deal with this, where do we go from here" all of which can be political but can be discussed reasonably.

waiting is good but you dont gotta be like "conversation rn is bogus", its gonna happen one way or another, ya know?

also thnx batty bby, i forgot i shouldnt do anything
eboy's seme
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

^uwu

_____

again, i just don't buy fence-sitting, and i'm not gonna appease people that blunder about because of the logical fallacy that because something is the "average" between viewpoints it is enlightened. not waiting would be barging in the thread and saying "BLM are terrorists do u think they're worth anything" without knowing any details

me following the the thread and news and public opinion and pundits across the spectrum waiting until this story had a pile of objective information and then comparing this incident to a history of toxic responses to similar ones, a culture of brewing contrarianism and anti-intelluctualism, then making social commentary that was validated by objective information someone keeping me posted shared with me... is hardly spewing my personal politics with reckless abandon. in fact, regardless of your beliefs, there is no kneejerk accident when you assume guilt from a movement that actively advocates for nonviolence. that is willfully being obstinate and ranting and perpetuating an observable schism in american society.

also my post doesn't even indicate "i'm better and more educated than conservatives therefore i'm justified in saying this" because people across the spectrum share the same sentiment i do. i mentioned the right wing once because there is significantly more disdain for BLM that can't be looked over within it. otherwise i delegated my criticism to "any american that"

also if a tragedy isn't the time to address issues that surround it, when is, because waiting until after them doesn't do much in securing changes for the future in my opinion. and i wasn't directing anger at anyone in particular because i was focused on general sentiments. did some posts influence what i said, sure, but i was talking about a certain narrative i'm seeing everywhere

i don't see the point in battening down the hatches in case something erupts especially when if we're getting out of hand there are mods to regulate behavior. idk that's all i got. i don't disagree with you fundamentally, but i don't think there is a point to tragedy discussion if we aren't even going to bother analyzing it or dangerous narratives that can follow as things develop
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

cinnamonstyx wrote:i dont think anything you said was invalid but i dont see a lot of political ******** here aside from goat which you know goat, how he does.
Maybe that's because some people took my advice to heart.
cinnamonstyx wrote:the rest of the topic has been, idk, discussion around that, people whining about drama, and then me out here with my news updates.
Most of the topic has been people responding specifically to Goat's post. If you all just say "goat does goat", why even repsond to him?
This topic is less than two pages long, and it's all either responding to goat, or us responding to everyone that making another crapstorm isn't a good idea.
Out of all your posts on the topic, 1/6th of them can be considered an "update".
cinnamonstyx wrote: what im saying is more so that like the only issue is goat, and that civil discussions are totally possible if we get over being wimpy about wanting to have civil convos.
Why single just one person out of the group? Goat is part of the issue. He isn't THE issue.
How can we have a civil discussion without wanting a civil discussion?
cinnamonstyx wrote: and i think by now theres a good amount of info, like if you look at objective facts, police reports, AP, theres a story here and more than enough to be like "yikes, this is bad, how do we deal with this, where do we go from here" all of which can be political but can be discussed reasonably.
Sure, there's enough information now. I can agree with that.
Batty was directly replying to mine and Eboy's position to not cause drama, and just wait for the facts. Those posts were made while the situation was transpiring. And after, Eboy just wanted people to stop focusing on Triert's post, which was made before we knew the shooters weren't affiliated with BLM.
cinnamonstyx wrote: waiting is good but you dont gotta be like "conversation rn is bogus", its gonna happen one way or another, ya know?
I wasn't like that. Again, my posts were made while things were still happening. They were made before we had really any solid information. The only post I made that wasn't while things were happening, was the one post I made about things sucking either way, whether it's BLM or not.
Batty wrote:again, i just don't buy fence-sitting, and i'm not gonna appease people that blunder about because of the logical fallacy that because something is the "average" between viewpoints it is enlightened.
I don't think waiting a day is fence-sitting.
I never asked you to appease to anyone. I'm just saying mistakes happen.
Batty wrote: not waiting would be barging in the thread and saying "BLM are terrorists do u think they're worth anything" without knowing any details
Yes. I never agreed with Goat. Again, I feel Goat is part of the problem.
I only directly replied to you, because you oppposed mine and eboy's stance on the subject. Mine and eboy's stance would have allowed for Goat to know the details.

Your stance is actually exactly what Goat did. You're the one saying that we should all practice the same actions Goat takes.
Batty wrote: me following the the thread and news and public opinion and pundits across the spectrum waiting until this story had a pile of objective information and then comparing this incident to a history of toxic responses to similar ones, a culture of brewing contrarianism and anti-intelluctualism, then making social commentary that was validated by objective information someone keeping me posted shared with me... is hardly spewing my personal politics with reckless abandon.
I never said you did, however you said that you were planning on making a post a day beforehand, when not all information considering the matter was released.
Again, I was replying to your opposition of mine and Eboy's stance to wait for information. If you actually practiced what you just stated you did here, you waited for the information to come out, and cross-checked said information, then you did exactly what at least I wanted people to wait on.
Batty wrote: in fact, regardless of your beliefs, there is no kneejerk accident when you assume guilt from a movement that actively advocates for nonviolence. that is willfully being obstinate and ranting and perpetuating an observable schism in american society.
I don't think making a mistake is being obstinate.
A fair bit of my left-swinging friends also thought it was BLM when news first broke out. Even some of my friends IN the BLM movement thought it was BLM.
Jumping the gun is a thing, and it's what I'm trying to stop people from doing.
Batty wrote: also my post doesn't even indicate "i'm better and more educated than conservatives therefore i'm justified in saying this" because people across the spectrum share the same sentiment i do. i mentioned the right wing once because there is significantly more disdain for BLM that can't be looked over within it. otherwise i delegated my criticism to "any american that"
I never said anything like that. I just said that we should wait for facts to come out, and for people to calm down, before we go into any discussion.
Batty wrote: also if a tragedy isn't the time to address issues that surround it, when is, because waiting until after them doesn't do much in securing changes for the future in my opinion. and i wasn't directing anger at anyone in particular because i was focused on general sentiments. did some posts influence what i said, sure, but i was talking about a certain narrative i'm seeing everywhere
I don't think waiting for us to see all aspects of a story is waiting too long. You're also implying that we should go into political discussion during the act, which I definitely don't agree with, and you don't agree with that notion, if your quote above is to be believed.
I never said you were directing anger at anyone. I never said that any posts influenced what you said.
Batty wrote: i don't see the point in battening down the hatches in case something erupts especially when if we're getting out of hand there are mods to regulate behavior. idk that's all i got. i don't disagree with you fundamentally, but i don't think there is a point to tragedy discussion if we aren't even going to bother analyzing it or dangerous narratives that can follow as things develop
I just wanted people to wait and calm down. I hardly call that "Battening the hatches". ^^;
It's also a mod's job to stop negative behavior beforehand, too, because a mod isn't a superhuman. A mod can't know something is instantly wrong, and go and fix the problem.
If we just waited on the subject, then Goat's post wouldn't have been what it was. He would have had more facts at the ready. So, it seems like the "only issue" would have been fixed if we would have just cooled off and waited a day. ^^;

---

Anyhow, this topic is getting off-topic, if anyone wants to continue discussion further than a few sentences or something, please PM me or whatever.
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

i don't think anyone took your advice to heart, though you may just be a lil glib right now which is fine, not gonna get twisted over that. i'm singling someone out because they are the only example i see of someone directly spewing politically leaning rhetoric on the first page. two of my posts involve information previously not discussed in the topic, one was a response to you (now two), one was to eboy, one was to the racism comment, and one was about "what drama". so when you look at it like that, more than anything my posts have been about updates. that is now being derailed. glad we agree on info, i understand what you meant by your timing of things, its an understandable approach, one i think multiple people were jumping very quickly which was weird. and i agree that things will suck either way, its an awful event. of course, context always matters, but either way it's a tragedy agreed there.

to explain what i meant, i feel like a lot of responses were "please, lets not talk about this" and then proceeding like stepping on eggshells, until of course goat and members replying to goat came in. yeah, goat isn't the only problem but he is known for stirring up the pot so to speak. i meant to suggest that we can have a valid conversation and a civil one if we desire, we just need to get over the fact that someone is going to make an opinion, and that this is an awful subject that will hurt that should nonetheless be discussed.

i didnt intend to sound inflammatory to anything sans the very overtly anti-BLM sentiment streak in goat's post. it just was wrong headed of him, and honestly racist. the rest of this has just been upsetting. i appreciate your levelheadedness in replying to me.

furthermore:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/09/us/dallas ... stigation/ possible suspect info
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/09/op ... d-him.html interesting tidbit, it's fox so it's the first thing im mentioning with a clear bias, but i recognized the photo from news reports earlier and whether or not he's involved is now fairly controversial.
eboy's seme