Conventions

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Conventions

Post by Pratzelwurm »

Hey guys! I'm curious what conventions [if any] you all are attending in the near future.

I'll be at AnimeFest in Dallas this weekend, and if you live in north Texas I recommend checking it out sometime. It's a smaller con, especially compared to AKon, but a lot of people I've talked to seem to like it better. Personally I've never been to AKon, so I couldn't give my own opinion of it. I'll also be selling my arywork there for the first time, so that's exciting [and nerve wracking].

Anyways, what about you all? I know that Summer of Sonic recently happened / is happening in England, and I think Sonic Boom is comming up since I've heard talk of that as well.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: Conventions

Post by Crazo3077 »

Upcoming conventions I have are a local, smaller convention in September and possibly Daishocon at the Wisconson Dells in November. This past year I attended C2E2 in Chicago, Anime Central in Rosemont, and Anime Midwest also in Rosemont. I've been attending Anime Central since 2008 and other conventions in the Chicagoland area since 2012, mostly Anime Midwest and the local one coming up in September. Only at the local one have I done any volunteer work, and I'll be hosting my own panels there this year. Previous years I'd helped with panels, but now its my turn to take control.

Conventions have been a really important part of my life, and now that I've finished earning my degree, I open to find a career that lets me stay involved with conventions for the rest of my life.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Pratzelwurm »

That's really cool! What sort of panels are you hosting?

Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I'm hosting four panels, though three of them are co-hosting to different degrees.

One is about the changes made when bringing the Digimon anime to the English speaking audience. That one is my solo work and I plan to put videos on it eventually. Then I'm barely helping, but arranged, a panel to discuss online shopping that was going to be called "Waifu Trophy Collecting" but we had to choose a more bland name by the con's head didn't want us to draw in the wrong crowd. Then there is a panel where we have an impromptu tournament of giant fighting monsters and heroes in the style of a caucus, which we expect to have plenty of yelling. And the last we are doing is a panel on the Neon Genesis Evangelion spin-off titles, and what audiences we would recommend them to.

Like I said, aside the Digimon one, I'm not working alone on them, but I need to make sure the presentations are set to work. It'll be fun since they're all diverse panels, but I need to stop being so lazy and actually work on them before the end of September rolls around.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

Missouri Game Con
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I haven't been to a convention since I was like 13 but I think an artist I like said they're going to Anime Matsuri, which I've been to before but remember nothing about, so I guess I should go when it comes around again. I don't know if we have the money though.

I've also thought about trying to sell prints and stuff at some point in time in the future, but I'd probably only do it if I shared a table with someone I know, so probably not...
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

I've been to the Pokemon Black and White Tour (I'm counting it), the Sonic Boom events of 2013 and 2014, and the Sonic 25th Anniversary party.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

we've only ever been to minecon 2011, the first and only con we've been to. since this was one of the first cons that was actually an event with booths and things, it wasn't the BEST one, but it was still alright. we had dressed up as an enderman and there was supposed to be a costume contest but i think it was at like 10:30 or something and we kinda wanted to go home. it was still memorable, though.
y'all...
Image Image Image
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Closest thing to a convention I've ever been to were school trips to the NC State Fair and attending a FOSS Fair at NC State during the 2011-12 school year.

Sadly, I've lived most of my life in a small town that's an hour's drive from anything worthwhile, and during the two years of uni that put me near some real conventions, I didn't have the funds to attend.

Would so love to attend a real convention some day. Maybe I'll take the time to actually listen to the conventional calendar in this month's issue of Asimov's in the unlikely event there's actually something nearby coming up.

*Crosses fingers that my upcoming completion of a Bachelor's degree(I graduate in December if all goes well!) can translate to a job in a con attracting city with pay that makes attending a con a viable option.*
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Too poor, can't go anywhere.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Pratzelwurm »

Ivogoji wrote:Too poor, can't go anywhere.
I feel you. The only reason I can go is because I have wealthy friends who are nice amd pay for most of it.

retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I went to a lot of conventions this past year.

I started in 2012 with Eurogamer, and soon started going every year until 2014 because they moved to Manchester in 2015 and I'm not paying £50 or so to go for a day along with travel expenses and stuff.

I started going comic con in 2013 and I've gone at least once every year, I cosplayed as Silent Bob in 2014 with my friend as Jay, we were pretty popular and got dozens of people taking pictures of us. I went again in 2015 with my uni friends, and once more in two months ago with the same people. This time I went as Dick Gumshoe and sadly only one person asked for a picture even though she was a cute grill who went as Meryl which was nice. Honestly, should've asked for her photo, but C'est la vie.

I went to Hyper Japan in November and again last month. It wasn't as good as Comic Con but it was something to do. I was lucky and I was given a free figurine of Misaka from Railgun from someone at a stall who accidentally messed up the box and thus couldn't sell it. If we didn't take it then it would just be destroyed so we had to take them. Although the same didn't happen last month.

I plan to go to the comic cons in London and any other cons with friends in the near future. It'll always be in London though, not sure if I'll travel outwards anywhere for any other event.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!