Mahjong

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Mahjong

Post by retrolinkx »

Has anyone else played this game?

I've recently got into Japanese Mahjong (not Solitare) and have been playing it weekly with my friends I live with, as well as online in flash games and on my phone. It's a pretty fun and challenging game with a lot of complicated rules and ways to play but overall is a great game.

Explaining the rules here would be difficult, the best way to describe it would be to image Poker but instead of getting 3 turns to make the best 5 card hard, you're given around 10-30 turns to try and get the best 13 tile hand (Straights like 1, 2, 3, triplets like 3, 3, 3, and pairs 2, 2) using a "deck" of around 130 tiles or so. It's a 4 player game and everyone is trying to make a good hand, the way to win is to either win off someone's discard or from drawing the tile itself.

I got into it mainly by watching Akagi, and then telling everyone I know about it until they all just told me that they play Mahjong and could teach me in a few months. A few months later I pretty much know the game well, sadly not well enough to get a high scoring hand that doesn't revolve around the Dora, but I understand none the less.

I doubt anyone here has played it or knows about it, but it could be fun for some discussion if they want to talk about. If you want to get into it, the flash game is a pretty good place to learn the basics with some bots, might want to look up how to play in general.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Mahjong

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I've only played the solitaire matching game before, but I do think the Mahjong deck is one of the most interesting "generic" decks not derived from the Tarot. Sadly, I can't even find a real-life opponent for Go Fish or Uno, so I doubt I could find anyone willing to play something more complex such as Mahjong. And I can't even try virtual play since pretty much all simulators rely on graphical depictions of the tiles and mouse controls.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

i can't stand it, i get bored to death
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I've only played the solitaire matching game before, but I do think the Mahjong deck is one of the most interesting "generic" decks not derived from the Tarot. Sadly, I can't even find a real-life opponent for Go Fish or Uno, so I doubt I could find anyone willing to play something more complex such as Mahjong. And I can't even try virtual play since pretty much all simulators rely on graphical depictions of the tiles and mouse controls.
That's a shame. My friend actually owns a £100 set professionally made from Japan. I'd probably own a set myself but I doubt anyone I know would play it even if I taught them. I guess in the future it can be something to own if I ever get a chance to find more people to live with and/or be around who know the game.
Lamby wrote:i can't stand it, i get bored to death
Shame really, I guess you need a good attention span for it, and players who don't take like 2 minutes for their discard. It's a really fun game to play with some friends especially if all you're doing is messing around and joking about the tiles, and doing stupid things like calling "Ron" to psych people out and waiting on your winning tile is a scary feeling, and seeing it played is even better.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

this is true, i do have a horrible attention span.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

I really like Mahjong, I play the Japanese variation (well I used to).
I have quite a nice set too. If you haven't checked it out, definitely check out Akagi (Japanese Anime). It's about a Mahjong player, and one of my favourite animes. Try to get the Triad sub version.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Oh wow, didn't expect the big bad MC to show his face in this thread. That's actually really interesting that you play it, honestly I didn't expect anyone to.

And yeah, I've seen Akagi, it's what got me into it. I hated it at first because I didn't understand a thing about it, and soon went on to read Kaiji Part 3...which was also about Mahjong. It's honestly a great read though if you're into Akagi, Kaiji is done by the same guy and it's great.

If you haven't seen it already, watch Legendary Gambler Tetsuya, it's in a very similar vain to Akagi and I enjoyed it, really beautiful end as well. Plus if you're a manga reader, "Ten - Tenna Toori no Kaidanji" or just "Ten" which is also made by the guy who made Akagi, and Akagi actually stars in it as well.