Ever had any bootlegs?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Gaon
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Ever had any bootlegs?

Post by Gaon »

whether it be games, toys, etc. It's fun to see the wonders of counterfeits.

I remember having a few fake pokemon toys when I was a kid. And I dont remember any games I had though.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: Ever had any bootlegs?

Post by retrolinkx »

Just some controllers, nothing really impressive.

Shame really, bootlegs can be really funny.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

- Pelican Memory Cards.
- Mad Catz Memory Cards.
- Performance Memory Units.
- A fake Pokemon Ruby that couldn't save.
- A Mad Catz GameCube Controller.
- I'd say I had a fake Sonic ice cream because the eye balls were never correct, but that was real.
- A fake Wii U GameCube Controller adapter that actually did its job.
- Several bits of random crap made by Nyko that I can't remember the specifics of.
- Some fake PS2 Controller that I don't know who made it.
- The "Wii U FIght Pad" that was just a Classic Controller shaped like GameCube controller that I don't remember who made it and also did its (temporary) job.
- A fake copy of Metroid Zero Mission (with a completely incorrect image on the cart, nonetheless) that also couldn't save, but I got it from GameStop and not the internet.
- Blue Speed Mouse, one size fits most.

That should be it.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Rox64
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's OK

Post by Rox64 »

I have an army of bootleg movies I got from my grandparents. The quality's terrible, being illegally recorded from the theater with a camera, but they're all still watchable.
Because Roxes 1-62 died from failure to absorb the correct levels of sarcasm and weirdness.
Don't ask about Rox63. Just don't.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

i guess that depends on what you mean by bootleg, sugar

if you mean fakes like knockoffs and hilarious (not!)things, not really

but back in the 90s i had a modded ps1 with a lot of copied games, from c-tier games like wcw nitro (i hated that game, during the monday night wars this fam was team wwf) and toystory 2, to better games like spyro 2 and CTR.... until sony caught on and newer games that weren't copied registered as counterfeit. i had an unmodded one too though. who's old enough to remember this besides me

also these days for movies, physical bootlegs are wastes of time
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

I don't believe I have ever owned anything that was considered a bootleg, but I did have a modded PS1 with a literal compendium of burned games when I was a kid, just like Lamby.

Let's not forget the fantastic Amiga chiptune that would play when the ParaDoX cracktro would load up for Spyro: Year of the Dragon.
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

I actually got a bunch of little bootleg Pokemon figures from my folks for Christmas, just so they could see me nit-pick over them.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

some bootleg pokemon figures (I've since got rid of them)
bootleg Sailor Moon figures (still have them, their paint job and models are so bad I like to laugh at them)
Seen:
Earthbound Zero on a NES cart (this was 3-5 years before it was released offically on Virtual Shop on the WiiU)
Mother 3 (English version) on a Gameboy Advance cart
Pokemon Jade on a Gameboy Color cart
Pokemon Diamond (the Telefang one) on a Gameboy Color cart
Pokemon Chaos Edition on a Gameboy Advance cart
Pokemon Creepy Black on a Gameboy cart
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

In addition to a bunch of imported Japanese Ojamajo Doremi merchandise, I have some imported Chinese and Korean stuff for that anime that might be knock offs rather than officially licensed.

Most noteable things would probably be:
~100 Chinese Ojamajo Doremi CCG cards. Compared to the Japanese imports, the stock is slightly heavier, the cards lack rounded corners, artwork is somewhat washed out, and there's no copyright text along the bottom of the cards. Oh, and the text has Kanji but no kana, but that's how I know they're Chinese and that would be the case even if they were official.
-Keychains of the Ojamajo in Disco costumes. I suspect them to be knockoffs due to not matching the style of my other keychains and figurines and becasue Momoko's hair is Green rather than Blonde with a slight green tint.
-Keychains of the Ojamajo in off-model versions of their Motto apprentice Uniforms. I question their authenticity for the same reasons I question the Disco dancer keychains, plus I have much nicer keychains of the girls in the same uniform that I'm pretty sure are official.
-A korean Playing card deck that, inaddition to being a full poker deck, doubles as two copies of the Major Arcana from the Tarot(If I remember correctly, the Jokers double as the Fools, and 21 cards each of the Red and Black suits are I-XXI of the Trumps. While I'm sure the above are all knock-offs, this actually has the quality of an officially licensed product(hell, better quality than some official stuff released Stateside), and my only reason to doubt is there doesn't appear to exist a Japanese version of this deck.

I've also owned several third-party game controllers over the years, but I wouldn't really count those as bootleg.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

got excited once and bought pokemon cards from an ice cream truck, they were fake. unfortunately not in a comedic way, just you could tell the material was different and wrong.
y'all...
Image Image Image
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

I had some knock off pokemon/Avatar cards at one point, Wish I didn't through them away as they were pretty funny. They were pokemon cards but they used Stuff and people from Avatar the last airbender.

I do have some madcatz, PDP and hori controllers, but those actually aren't boot leg. They are just cheaper alternatives that had actually gotten licensed by Nintendo and Microsoft. In the case of the PDP it's actually an improvement as it's a Gamecube clone that connects to a wii remote and registers as "Classic Controller" for the wii and works for all games on the wii-u that support the classic Gamepad.
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
chaoko
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: S A D B O Y S

Post by chaoko »

Used to have a lot of fake yugioh cards because I thought they were cool because of the different design on the back and the terrible translations on the card. I even asked for fake packs for Christmas at one point and I got a bunch of them.
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

i bought an evangelion bootleg dvd for $2 at my local flea market a few years ago just because seeing anything eva-related whether bootleg or licensed is a rarity in my area and i wanted to see the quality of it

i've also had weird bootleg pokemon pencil cases made out of metal and i wish i could find them because they're kinda neat i guess?

i too also had fake yugioh cards and they're super holographic and i'm pretty sure i had bootleg pokemon stickers too which were also very... Shiny
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

I've had a ton of fun playing with knock off Beyblades!! They just looked like ninja stars with a plastic piece in the middle but I was so excited because they were sharper & lighter than my atcual Beyblades. As soon as I got them I started getting kicked out of people's narrow hallways for flinging them in the air when I ripped them & watched them bounce up & down bumping side to side hitting the walls (sometimes breaking glass pictures) & when they hit the end of the hall/door & came back to me the same way I grabbed it in mid-air & ran off to to the next hallway to rip it up some more!!!! XD
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Actually you did just remind me that my local Poundshop would always have tons of Beyblades for £1, which were great because they had like 10-20 variants of them, and were just like the actual version so me and my brothers used to get tons, interchange the tops and bottoms with each other (since we had official ones) and play each other with them.

Good times.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

Oh I forgot to mention I also had 2 jail broken items. When I was like 14 I got pissed off that my PS3 couldn't use Action Replay & Pelican disks for cheat codes (I even Hunnid-P cented hardcore games like DMC3 before using cheat codes on them so I felt like I deserved them more & that it was really worth beating them) so I had my high schooler friend jail break my iPod & PS3 which was totally liberating because I got all the apps & downloadable content for free!! I even blew out my iPod's speaker because I could use an equalizer on it & had DJ apps to play 2 tracks at the same time!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL XD
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

One time at the airport my mother bought me a big set of bootleg/Poundland/dollar store Spider Man action figures. The weird thing was, there wasn't anything stylistically different, they didn't have different costumes or anything, they were all just Spiderman, but they all had different amounts of articulation. One only had swivels on the shoulders and torso (the lowest amount of articulation), and one had all the basic action figure articulation points, arms, hips, joints, neck, torso, even ankles if I recall correctly, and there were like 3 others that were inbetween.

I was only like 8 years old the time so I was cool with it, but now I get personally offended if I see action figures with poor face paint/poor sculpting/articulation that isn't perfect.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

Yup. I have a bootleg copy of the movie Zookeeper, the sound quality is all right, but the video quality is pretty bad. I have 3 bootleg GameCube controllers because my dad is cheap, and one has a broken L button.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

I have a few repro carts for games that would be way too expensive otherwise.
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

I have 3 bootleg GameCube controllers because my dad ordered them off Amazon for a cheaper price than the real ones. One has a broken L trigger, but the other two work. I have since gotten a real one, but I still use a bootleg to play Sonic Adventure 2 with my mom.
I also have a bootleg of the movie Zookeeper. I haven't touched it in a while, so I don't remember it very well.
EDIT: I didn't see my last post go through, my computer froze! :chaocry:
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Nope.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Trash-ItTrevor
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Trash-ItTrevor »

I have a bootleg cartridge of Dragonball Advanced Adventure (one of the best GBA games btw) that I bought from Amazon, that was advertised as a LEGITIMATE copy.

The weird thing is, it's a mixture of all the bootlegs available.
Bunelody
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Bunelody »

I have a couple bootleg figures. Most of them look fine but my kuroneko one is badly painted and doesn't stay in her stand very well
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »