LGBT+ Thread

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: LGBT+ Thread

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Some of my thoughts on recent comments:

Personally, excluding sexual crimes, I'm generally of the opinion that non-violent offenders shouldn't be imprisoned to begin with. Then again, I view prisons not as a means of punishment, but as a means of quarantining those too dangerous to exist in mainstream society while efforts are made to determine and, for lack of a better term, fix the cause of their dangerous behavior. That said, I do see value in separating prisoners by nature and severity of their crime, if only to reduce potential victim pools to inmates with similar crimes. Though perhaps limiting imprisonment to those actually dangerous enough to justify imprisonment could go a long way towards reducing prison crowding and thus allowing inmates greater breathing room(solitary confinement will drive most people bonkers, but constant exposure to others in an enclosed space with no opportunity for alone time can drive even the nicest, most sociable people to lash out when they reach their limit on human contact). I still question the reason behind prisons being sex segragated and draw a blank trying to think of any reason beyond prudishness or trying to make inmates miserable for the sake of making them miserable.

As for cis vs trans violence, are there any statistics regarding the percentage of assaults by cis persons against trans persons actually motivated by transphobia compared to simple coincidence? Similarly, are there any statistics regarding trans persons assaulting cis persons as to whether the trans person was motivated by revenge for transphobia versus the trans person just being a violent person who jusst happens to be trans? Actually, replace cis and trans with any other pair of traditionally privileged and unprivileged groups, and I think such a distinction would provide valuable information. Not every crime committed across group lines is motivated by tribalistic reasons, and in the case of LGBT issues, it's not like their are any reliable tells for identifying whether someone's hetcis, homocis, hettrans, or homotrans.

I'd argue their are plenty of jurors in the court of public opinion who would readily deliver a guilty by association verdict against traditionally privileged groups, though perhaps it's true such is more common against traditionally unprivileged groups, at least in cases where the traditionally privileged group constitutes a supermajority, but I'm not sure its because the privileged side is any more prone to "judging the other by their worst" but by the larger faction simply having greater numbers. Still, hasty generalization is something people on both sides should try to avoid and we should all strive to make it clear that our criticisms are directed at the actual guilty parties and not at the group they belong to as a whole.

Also, a confrontational tone of voice or style of writing usually isn't the best way of garnering respect.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

ur gay
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere