can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Post Reply
User avatar
eblu
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Motto: u
Location: nuts dot com
Contact:

can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by eblu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

i regret making this topic

no, really. it's sort of infuriating seeing how toxic this community has become.

while i'm not one to prefer participating in drama and/or meta discussions, CI has become nothing more than a breeding ground for bandwagons, neglect, and blind hatred. i'm mostly attributing this to the fact that there hasn't been a single sonic game with the A-LIFE system released in five years since a hiatus of any sort really does a number on any sort of community, and without new people coming in things kind of stagnate and cracks begin to show in environments like these. i'm not saying that everyone here is deplorable and should really apologize for their actions, but i'm seeing a lot of hate and controversy and this really upsets me because all i want to do is talk. i understand that we've kind of run dry on new topics to talk about but a lot of people have resorted to politics and politics alone to drive new discussion and again this is really disappointing.

just my two cents
Last edited by eblu on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discord: eblu#8048 | twitter | youtube | steam
what's happening forum
16 | male | ESTP | resident anime denouncer

User avatar
retrolinkx
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 6291
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by retrolinkx » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 pm

It's because we're talking about politics, and several people are right wingers while the rest are left.

Just don't talk politics and political issues and you won't get drama and hostility. I don't talk about it, and look at how happy and jolly I am!

Although, if you don't talk politics you won't get discussion.

Pick your poison I guess.
Image
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Spooky Chao
Spooky Chao
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by EvilPinkamina » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Politics are always incredibly hostile. Don't talk politics, you won't get hostility. Its why most active communities ban political discussion and why we should agree to do the same on this site.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Ivogoji
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Posts: 2770
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 am
Motto: Yosh!
Location: Death Egg IV

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Ivogoji » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 pm

You mean there's discussion on the forum outside of the Sonic related boards? I had no idea!
Image
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD

User avatar
Pufflehugs
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm
Motto: I an Rubs
Location: Comet Observatory ⭐

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Pufflehugs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 pm

This topic is complete garbage and everyone involved in it is a big stinky loser. :darkangry:
If you say C*ncrete with no censor I'LL BLOCK YOU
Profile pic by Tsui

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Nano » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 pm

On the counter side to the whole "Just don't talk politics" I also think people can just not be jerks when talking to someone of the opposite political view. Politics is fun to talk about for me, so it's a shame that nobody on this site can talk about it without resorting to having it become a pissing contest and taking things extremely personally, as well as in general just talking to this person when they know that 1.) They aren't going to change that person's opinion and 2.) They don't handle these situations well. I've seen it all, I've seen people who argue and then immediately shut down and insist they still have a point without actually making a point ("The words are in my head, but I just can't say them. I'm still right though."). I've seen the people who argue and then become consumed by a blind hatred, which doesn't help anyone in any argument ever, but you can bet your bottom dollar they'll do it over and over. I've seen people who just assume they're right without even giving a single thought to the other side of the argument. I've seen people use name calling, lots of name calling for sure.

It's just straight up frustrating how only a small handful of this community knows what it means to have civil arguments without letting their emotions overwhelm them. If you get easily overwhelmed or angry at certain topics that you have a deep passion for, just don't talk about it when someone brings up an opinion you don't like. Some people actually want to discuss things, so stay out of it if you can't control yourself.

On the flip side, I'm sick of the people who start arguments and are too sensitive about the fact that they're the minority in this situation. If you wanna make a topic about so and so, and you know for a fact that you're the minority in this situation then don't act like some sort of wounded dog when you have 10 dissenting opinions and you're babbling out "i-i'm being ganged up on. i'm being bullied!".
Image

User avatar
chaoadventures
Mystical Halloween Winner
Mystical Halloween Winner
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 am
Motto: "Man, I'm never taking another 24-hour shift again."
Location: http://ow.ly/LU9y30e51lb
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by chaoadventures » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm

wait are you trying to tell me it wasn't always like this
Image

User avatar
Triert
G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Triert » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 pm

I have hope things will get better for everyone that it should.

User avatar
Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Posts: 7148
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Motto: xP

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Crazo3077 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:44 pm

I actually hear about this a lot out of my mom, but not because she's on Chao Island, but because she's on Facebook and has seen how people have changed because of the current state of politics. People who are eager to be divided and fight have found comfort in the current social state, and thus it is more socially acceptable to fight with a sense of absolutism, rather than being more flexible.

My degree from university is in philosophy, so I live for debates and the types of arguments people form. I wouldn't want to see us not feel like we can discuss something, but you kinda just learn to present information to the appropriate audiences. It's an unending process, of course, but eventually you see what type of content is and isn't going to get appropriate traction.

Not to use too personal of an example, but eblu has openly stated that he is a homophobic. There is evidence backing the statement and he even just treats it as an identifiable attribute, no different than my associations with socialism. There is also evidence of how big the vocal LGBT support community is on this site: it greatly outweighs those who openly oppose. This would make it clear that the Chao Island General Discussion is probably not a place where you're going to see very diverse opinions on that particular subject. You won't see discussion: you're see a consensus.

Honestly, the easiest way to not worry about hostility is to not react to those choosing to be hostile. I may not be the paragon of that method, but I'm certain that the majority of people aren't going to care if you don't acknowledge someone who is being actively rude. Being the bigger person is the most effective method, and if attempts are made even bigger to get your attention, it'll likely qualify for moderator attention.

Hostility is only a problem when we create the image of it being important or common. If we want to see people not be hostile, we need to lead by example, and equally not bait people into getting upset. Civil discussion can be maintained as long as we are considerate and responsible along the way.
Image
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

User avatar
Lamby
Goddess
Goddess
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Motto: razor sharp beauty queen
Location: throne room
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Lamby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 pm

i haven't really noticed anything different or abnormally hostile tbh.

at worst maybe there's pettiness idk, but nothing i'd call hostile as an adult. i think sometimes people confuse hostility with objective reasoning not being neutral. some opinions really don't have substance and if you feel there's more to something discussion won't happen with everyone essentially talking to themselves together. this isn't really necessary for entertainment media but it's like retro and pinka said either forgo serious topics that inherently affect and divide or try to tackle something you may not have enough awareness on. not saying people should go wild and make people **** their pants, but having tea with poster esquire isn't that enlightening to me either

if people are just ignoring the topic and just fighting that's hostile; intense and critical challenge or interpretation or even a sharp, curt tone can be, but isn't inherentllyhostile. imo anyway, english degree perspective
Last edited by Lamby on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"You should do as I say/cause things are gonna be my way/I rule the world/so get down on your knees/better do as I please/until I tell you to stop~♥"
discord: arianna#5279

User avatar
Triert
G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Triert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 am

Does this mean we can finally embrace a live and let live mantra instead of reporting meme's because they offended people here?

User avatar
eblu
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Motto: u
Location: nuts dot com
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by eblu » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 am

while we're on the topic of why i'm not too thrilled with CI i just want to point out that i feel that this website has basically turned into a huge circlejerk that i'm not a part of
discord: eblu#8048 | twitter | youtube | steam
what's happening forum
16 | male | ESTP | resident anime denouncer

User avatar
Triert
G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Triert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 am

You mean like the Dr. Frog topic that leaked out of the chatbox discord? I thought they stopped circlejerks after that one topic?

User avatar
chaoadventures
Mystical Halloween Winner
Mystical Halloween Winner
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 am
Motto: "Man, I'm never taking another 24-hour shift again."
Location: http://ow.ly/LU9y30e51lb
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by chaoadventures » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:16 am

eblu wrote:while we're on the topic of why i'm not too thrilled with CI i just want to point out that i feel that this website has basically turned into a huge circlejerk that i'm not a part of
I agree with this

but

I think it mostly stems from the discord not being the same as the chatbox that was once connected directly to the site.

Basically, I feel this always existed but before you could theoretically just waltz into the chatbox at anytime and see what was up.
Image

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Nano » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 am

eblu wrote:while we're on the topic of why i'm not too thrilled with CI i just want to point out that i feel that this website has basically turned into a huge circlejerk that i'm not a part of
Considering your track record, I don't necessarily blame them for leaving you out.

EDIT: What I mean is that you've proven time and time again that you're far too rigid to hang out with people that don't meet certain requirements. You want to be included, but at the same time constantly push people away and then get mad at them for it while playing the victim card. People would be far more willing to hang out with you if you didn't constantly make outrageous comments and then try and guilt trip them for getting mad at you about it. You need to learn self control and maybe make a personal change, or just accept that people don't want to hang around the type of person that you are.
Image

User avatar
Triert
G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Triert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 am

A chatbox discord working on invite only doesn't really replicate a click to join chatbox in the first place.

User avatar
Pufflehugs
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm
Motto: I an Rubs
Location: Comet Observatory ⭐

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Pufflehugs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 am

^ This x1000
At least there's no Chaobot tho.
If you say C*ncrete with no censor I'LL BLOCK YOU
Profile pic by Tsui

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Spooky Chao
Spooky Chao
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by EvilPinkamina » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:38 am

I mean, its invite only in the vein of "hey, you have to ask for an invite." It's not like you have to be friends w/ someone to get in. Just PM and be like "ey can i join" and you in. You're still subject to the same rules of the forum regardless of where you talk about your anime waifu music games.

Also, there's no chaobot, but we have rad ass bots like Tatsumaki.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Pufflehugs
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm
Motto: I an Rubs
Location: Comet Observatory ⭐

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Pufflehugs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 am

"Ey my dude can I join the server please?"
"No Puffle, you frequently cause dismay within this community and your behavior is unaccepta-"
"WOW WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW THIS DISCORD SERVER IS TRASH YOU CLODS"
If you say C*ncrete with no censor I'LL BLOCK YOU
Profile pic by Tsui

User avatar
Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Posts: 7148
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Motto: xP

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Crazo3077 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:44 am

eblu wrote:while we're on the topic of why i'm not too thrilled with CI i just want to point out that i feel that this website has basically turned into a huge circlejerk that i'm not a part of
This is actually a great sharing topic. I joke about being an alien once in a while because of my OC, but honestly, I've always felt pretty alien to the community.

For me, most of my old friends on the forums aren't around, or we don't talk. I've had to kinda rebuild social ties, and even then, I barely remember how I'm associated with most people. And even then, I always feel like there is some kind of social or mental or emotional gap between me and anyone else from the forum, even when we're having one on one conversations about the same thing. I've kinda learned to accept that, and work with it, but I still regularly concern myself with how my words and actions are likely interpreted differently, so I ask around sometime to check for consistency.

I'm eager to call everyone friend, and I never put out more than I trust people with, but I don't feel a level of clique that you might be seeing. I haven't been part of a consistent group since REALITY, and even then it wasn't 100% clear. I doubt all of us are confident in our bonds: we're just used to blending in with our environments.

EDIT:

A great example is how people think Tsui and I talk a lot, when actually Tsui takes over my body when they want to post we only spoke from time to time. It is easy to look like there is extreme closeness just by showing friendliness publicly.
Last edited by Crazo3077 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Nano » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am

To be fair, a lot of people on this website equate clique to simply being friends.
Image

User avatar
Triert
G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.
Posts: 5648
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Triert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 am

The image reactions topic is proof that while Clique isn't the right word, something else is.

User avatar
Tsui
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Tsui » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:00 am

I disagree. The site has always had, and perhaps always will have, a middle/high school clique feel to it. It's not just one clique either, there has always been more than one. I suppose that just goes with a lot of users being teenagers and young adults, but it's still very exclusionary. And it does add to the feeling of hostility, paranoia can develop in particular if you're not included because that's how people act around here, just make fun of others they disagree with, you know? And I know that I'm not an exception when I say that people love to call themselves more mature than everybody else, but honestly, the attitude here is one I'm not fond of anymore.
Image
avatar by ZipoCXG - banner art by Nine - CI Blizzard Group

User avatar
Crazo3077
CI Project Manager
CI Project Manager
Posts: 7148
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Motto: xP

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Crazo3077 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:00 am

Triert wrote:while Clique isn't the right word, something else is.
Nano wrote:being friends.
Image
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui

User avatar
Sable
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Posts: 4035
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Privateer
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Post by Sable » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 am

he did that
Image

Post Reply