can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12161
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Nano » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Triert wrote:You don't mean to imply they're the only community do you?

I said a community, not the community.

Tsui wrote:
Nano wrote:Be prepared to know that not everyone is going to agree with you!

Tell me more.

Nano wrote:Also, more than likely it's a YOU problem!"

Sounds pretty far from accepting to me. Might even call it "unfriendly".

A lot of the "discourse" that pops out of the discord and causes people to get unfriendly towards one another stems directly from people being upset that not everyone agrees with their opinions. It's a sad fact of life, and if you're going to make controversial opinions you need to be prepared to know that not everyone will agree with you, and that the cast majority may in fact disagree. It can range from your opinion on the gays to your opinion on Sonic Unleashed.

I mean you mentioned about how you were trying to become a better person and to point out your flaws, but the moment I tell people that their problems with the discord may be self problems they're not acknowledging and working on I'm suddenly labeled as unfriendly? Just because I think people should be willing to take responsibility for their own behavior and actions and reflect on those in order to become a better person not only for the community on discord and Chao Island, but in general a better person for themselves I'm being "unfriendly" and unaccepting?
Image

User avatar
chaoadventures
Master Chao
Master Chao
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 am
Motto: "Someone is stealling a car, just off screen!"
Location: http://ow.ly/LU9y30e51lb
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby chaoadventures » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:32 pm

EvilPinkamina wrote:Oh, and I suppose I need a reaction image or you'll ignore my post completely. One moment...

Image

time out

if you have such a problem with triert using reaction images, then where were you when we were debating on their usage?
Image

User avatar
Tsui
CI Artist
CI Artist
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm
Motto: mami: please
Location: TX, USA

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Tsui » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Sorry, "more than likely it's a YOU problem!" coming directly after "If you want to be accepted in a community, be prepared to work for it a bit! Be prepared to know that not everyone is going to agree with you!" read like you were implying that a person was inherently flawed if they didn't fit in. My mistake, a misinterpretation.
Image
avatar by ZipoCXG

User avatar
Pumpkinium
CI Artist
CI Artist
Posts: 4211
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm
Motto: he/him
Location: Pumpkin Hill
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Pumpkinium » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 pm

@pinka

i got that. i already addressed that. i addressed that i don't really like that wolf/lamb go and try to clean up but they didn't really want to stop for me, and it's probably because they think there's something wrong not on my part. i've stated multiple times that i want people to come talk TO ME if they want to point out some behavior of mine that doesn't seem right. i'm not afraid of confrontation and neither should anyone else, it's just if people have a problem with me, i'm not the best authority of myself. i don't know when i'm doing something wrong because it's me, and i'm not the best at acknowledging what i could be doing wrong. this actually did happen once when one of the admins came to me that something i do kind of subconsciously that was dismissive and kind of manipulative (typing 'zzz' specifically was the issue.) i've since understood what they were trying to tell me to stop doing and i feel like i've gotten a little more constructive regarding how i can keep myself in a discussion or debate without giving up and being passive aggressive.

yes, i was defensive when i was talked to about that issue, i was grumpy because it sounded like a load of crap, but after being told about it for a bit i started to understand. i did make effort to change my behavior because it became apparent to me that i was doing something wrong. so there's your example that i am, in fact, willing to change.

but are you doing the same?
|Listography|FArt Topic|discord: Pumpkinium#4212|

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 am

chaoadventures wrote:
EvilPinkamina wrote:Oh, and I suppose I need a reaction image or you'll ignore my post completely. One moment...

Image

time out

if you have such a problem with triert using reaction images, then where were you when we were debating on their usage?

Not on the website, probably either browsing reddit, playing Guilty Gear, or watching youtube. That drama happened before i came back. Honestly, I have no beef with reaction images, but the fact that Triert can only communicate using them, and how he frequently uses them to just dismiss opposing points without actually bringing up an argument, is my problem. Though that was no doubt brought up in the discussion and I don't care to revive old drama.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:13 am



Really? I thought when I communicate using my words people complain they're very vague and filled with multiple meanings.

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 am

Your words confuse people, and you think the way to make your meaning clear is to use fewer words and an out of context picture? That's not how language works my guy. You wanna use reaction images, be my guest, but don't use it to be the meat of your post, because no one will know what you're saying.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am

That's fair

User avatar
chaoadventures
Master Chao
Master Chao
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 am
Motto: "Someone is stealling a car, just off screen!"
Location: http://ow.ly/LU9y30e51lb
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby chaoadventures » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 am

Image

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 am

If i have to google ancient egyptian symbols to understand a forum post on a website about a side mode in sonic, maybe adding more than one sentence to a post would be much better for everyone.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:47 am

if some of us here are aware of what lgbt stands for and its extended letters, we should be more accepting to learn of other symbols.

User avatar
EvilPinkamina
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am
Motto: $5.99

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby EvilPinkamina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 am

One of those things is a common term in the modern world used to describe millions of people and the defense of their rights. The other is something that hasn't been used for thousands of years.

Also how is any of this related to the topic at hand? If yall wanna discuss how everyone should need to learn the meanings archaic symbols so triert can post a ****** reaction pic trying to move a topic over to something that no one cares about, do it in another thread.
Triert wrote:I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.

Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere

User avatar
eblu
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Motto: u
Location: nuts dot com
Contact:

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby eblu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 am

ok at this point i'm letting this topic run its course. it's far beyond saving for me and all i'm doing is making things worse.
discord: eblu#8048 | twitter | youtube | steam
what's happening forum
16 | male | ESTP | resident anime denouncer

User avatar
Mephilesfan1
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Posts: 3408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Motto: Go down the road, not across the street!
Location: My house

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Mephilesfan1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 am

Nano wrote:
Mephilesfan1 wrote:the only thing i notice is that some people feel left out.


DING DING DING

Weeeeeee got ourselves a winner!!!

Mephilesfan1 strikes the nail on the head! Contrary to popular belief, the problem isn't necessarily with the discord itself, but a few handful of people who have trouble integrating into a community. Is this vocal minority correct in their assumptions that the discord is an unfriendly, solitary group who only allow in veterans? Let's check the survey!

Spoiler:
Image


Ooooh! Sorry bout that, looks like you'll be going home with the runner up prize. Retro, tell em what they've won.

"The good news Nano, is that they won't be going home empty handed. In fact, they're getting 5 copies of Overwatch Origins Edition! Now you too can relive the fall of Star_ and ruin your friendships with others!"

Thanks Retro! As for Mephilesfan1, you get an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas! Enjoy some martinis on the beach and have some fun in the sun!

Well that ends today's episode of "Chao Island Feud", I hope we all learned something today. Remember, "If you want to be accepted in a community, be prepared to work for it a bit! Be prepared to know that not everyone is going to agree with you! Also, more than likely it's a YOU problem!"

Goodnight everyone!


aw heck yea man i get a free trip to the bahamas? noice
Image
skylar, nonbinary. they/their pronouns. i really like jacksepticeye.

User avatar
Nano
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator
Posts: 12161
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 am
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!
Location: Union of Chaoviet Socialist Republics

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Nano » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:26 am

Now that eblu is gone let's talk about how hostile this new discord I'm hearing about is.

/s
Image

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

HELL YEAH

I HAVE THE POWER OF GOD

User avatar
Pufflehugs
Spooky Halloween Winner
Spooky Halloween Winner
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm
Motto: I an Rubs
Location: Comet Observatory ⭐

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Pufflehugs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:09 pm

But do you possess the power of kings?
If you say C*ncrete with no censor I'LL BLOCK YOU
Profile pic by Tsui

User avatar
Triert
Deity Chaos Chao
Deity Chaos Chao
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am
Motto: It is I
Location: The Frenchiest Fry

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Triert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Image

User avatar
Mayo
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Posts: 1602
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:07 am
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao
Location: Australia

Re: can we talk about how hostile this site is now

Postby Mayo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 am

I just like to hover over the Chao discussion areas and nothing else really, haha. So I'm pretty clueless if anything 'hostile' or 'toxic' happens.
Generally speaking, any community that has been around for a while, some people get a little too 'comfortable' with the familiar which can make it hard for people on the outside to feel included.

I've personally found the Discord community pretty good, it can be hard to keep up with what's been going on since it's harder to see past messages from a week ago. Overall I've found them as support and do enjoy some Chao picture shenanigans.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests