Arcades.

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Arcades.

Post by retrolinkx »

I know we're all pretty young to have gone to arcades in their heyday, but I thought it would be nice to discuss them, mostly our opinions on them, any actual stories you remember from arcades, and favourite games.

For me, I did have a small arcade where I lived. It was a Sega park, and I don't remember much of it besides the fact it was there. I went in a couple of times with my brothers but I can't remember the arcade machines they had.

I did recently go to an arcade in London, I think I talked about it here but if not it was just a nice little arcade that had Initial D, Outrun 2, DDR, House of the Dead and other assortment of games there. It wasn't amazing, but I loved being able to play Outrun 2 and Intial D on an actual machine.

Adding onto random arcade machines I've played, there was an event a couple of years ago where I got to play Mr. Do, and the original Donkey Kong. They had a stand up Outrun machine, but I wasn't big into Outrun like I am now so I didn't play it.

In terms of favourite arcade machines. I absolutely adore Outrun, I still play Cannonball from time to time, as well as owning the 3DS version, and as I type this I'm listening to Cruising Line. I also love Space Harrier. Both of those games are truly something else.

How about you guys?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Arcades.

Post by Rajikaru »

Ever since I saw a 3rd Strike cabinet in an arcade venue i went to for a Sm4sh regional, i've been desperately wanting to find a good arcade near me. The only "arcade" nearby has bar/ticket games, and their only arcade game is Guitar Hero 3. When I go back up to VT for christmas break, I'm gonna try and see if there are any good ones in the region I can just spend a day at.

I haven't actually played Arcade cabinets since I evolved out of my childhood "**** fighting games! i wanna win tickets and get prizes" mentality and hit my "I JUST WANNA PLAY 3RD STRIKE AND ORIGINAL MK ON CABINETS ALL DAY" phase (which is right now). I've never been a big fan of fightsticks, I prefer the size and convenience of fight pads, but I want to at least genuinely experience the joy of playing a good fighting game with other dudes in an arcade and just having a blast.

I posted about this on facebook before, one of my short-term goals is finding a really good arcade, bringing like $20 in quarters/tokens, and just spending a day jamming out on all the fun games and eating ****** pizza and drinking soda.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

There was a rollerskating rink in the town I grew up in that had a Metal Slug game and a rediculously cool bike racing simulator. There were maybe three occasions that brought me to that place but it was pretty fun and memorable. The cinema nearby had a couple of cabinets with old games like Pac-Man, but it was pretty slim selections all around.

The Super Walmart they built when I was in elementary school had a real arcade, with it's own token system and everything. I most remember the Star Trek lightgun cabinet, which was virtually the only game I played there. Sadly the arcade wasn't rebuilt when they reopened the Walmart after Katrina.

There's a movie theater two cities over that has a genuine arcade, but since I only go there to see movies I've never been inside and have no idea what games they have. I can't afford to play games and buy tickets on the same night. That and I don't have any friends. People don't go out to the cinema by themselves.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

There's an arcade near me with two Marvel vs Capcom 2 cabinets and a Puyo Pop Fever (that isn't connected to another one sadly).

I think they also had Tatsunoko vs Capcom and some version of Tekken (6?). If I remember correctly they had Super Monkey Ball: Ticket Blitz too.

Speaking of which, if you haven't played a version of Monkey Ball with a trackball, I implore you to do something to remedy that.
I no joke played it at a Chuck E. Cheese's first, so it's probably fairly common in comparison to other games, but it's really fun in comparison to a control stick.

I also vaguely remember seeing a Sonic The Fighters cabinet at a skating rink, but it was tossed onto a pile of other games that nobody was playing, so I couldn't play it.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Closest I've come to a proper arcade I was able to visit more than once was during my time at the school for the blind when places like Adventure Landing and Chuck E. Cheese's were among the places in the regular rotation for off-campus activities. That said, I do remember a Mario Pinball machine and a Sonic the Fighters cabinet at the skating rink the school sometimes took us, and I'm pretty sure my local bowling alley had a few machines back when I took Bowling for one of my Physical Education credits at my local community college, though I never took the time to see what they had on offer.