The New Animal Crossing Discussion (Catch-all AC Stuff)

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Re: The New Animal Crossing Discussion

Post by PinkIceFox »

Actually, that's not quite true. There are many differences between some of the Japanese games and the ones released internationally.

All of the following is from Nookipedia:

Dobutsu no Mori e+

-You can wake up Tom Nook after hours by banging on the doors three times with the shovel. He will be in his pajamas and allow you to shop, but he will move much slower, prices will be inflated more than they were during the store's normal hours, and you are only allowed to either sell what you have or buy what is on display in the store.
-Tom Nook will sell party poppers at his store in the latter half of December to celebrate New Year's Eve. This does not happen in Animal Crossing, which involves Jingle visiting town before New Year's Eve. He also offers much more of a variety of items during his sales, including holiday knickknacks such as the party poppers, fans, balloons, and pinwheels. In addition, you can also open the option of hiring Tom Nook to build objects found around town for display for a fee. These include objects such as a water mill, sewer lines, street lamps, and so on. You can also choose to tear down these special town decorations.
-Animal Crossing's Post Office can hold up to 160 letters in a storage. Dōbutsu no Mori e+ can save 160 letters in a storage as well, but can make up to five storages on the same or different memory cards for the potential of up to 800 letters.
-The debt you owe Tom Nook for each house upgrade differ between Animal Crossing and Dōbutsu no Mori e+. Also, your last upgrade is ownership over your own private island that follows after the second floor addition. You can also refuse to have the statue of your character erected once you pay off all your debt.
-Totakeke and many other characters celebrate your birthday by attending a live performance Totateke sets up for you as well as give you personal greetings in Dōbutsu no Mori e+. In Animal Crossing only one neighbor will personally congratulate you and give you their gift, and only if you leave your house between 6 A.M. and 6 P.M.. Everyone else will send your gift through mail, as will your mom who gives you the Birthday Cake.
-There are 60 brand new neighbors featured in the E-Reader cards in Dōbutsu no Mori e+, and it is possible to choose which neighbors you want to move in to your town by collecting their E-Reader card and then swiping them. You can also make your neighbors perform a few more actions than usual if you become good friends with them, such as waving to you when they see you. This is not available in Animal Crossing because the E-Reader cards only cause the character on the card to send you a letter with a gift and further give you another gift through a written password on the back of the card. The added friendship actions your neighbors will perform also is not seen until Animal Crossing: Wild World.
-Two new fish and insects are available in Dōbutsu no Mori e+, including the Porcupine Fish and the Marlin for new fish and the Large Butterfly and Large Beetle for new insects. Both of them are only obtainable on the island. There are also 18 new islanders in Dōbutsu no Mori e+ in addition to the original islanders seen in Animal Crossing.
-The Reset Monitoring Center can be accessed after encountering Mr. Resetti twice. After you smack every rock every day for up to a week, you will find a rock that smashes open and reveals the entrance. Mr. Resetti can be found in here as well as Don. This was not available in Animal Crossing.
-There is an extra event with the Marlin in Dōbutsu no Mori e+, where you can sometimes see it swimming up along the waterfall and later follow it in Kapp'n's boat.
-When infested with fleas, neighbors will raise their arms and flail around. (Oh my god this is hilarious.)
-In Animal Crossing, flowers are only able to be planted or held inside your pocket. In Dōbutsu no Mori e+ you can use these flowers in addition to finding the new flower, Jacob's Ladder. It will grow near the cliffs when the town is given a "perfect" rating. Jacob's Ladder would reappear in Wild World, but do not require the town to be in perfect condition to grow.

I also know one of the Japanese games allowed for you to place decorations in your town, much like we'll be able to do in the new 3DS game.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
qwerty79
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by qwerty79 »

^ They should re-implement to ability to wake Nook.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Oh yeah, I agree. There were so many times I was playing at night and I couldn't sell my fish. I don't even care if he'd pay a little less for them. Just let me empty my pockets, Tanuki!
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

So basically the Japanese version is like a middle finger to America? XD
Mhhhmmm... I am tasty enough for you, anon-kun? *sizzle*
Kyo
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: time5bed

Post by Kyo »

All of those were changes in Dōbutsu no Mori e+, so obviously these differences were upgrades to Animal Crossing. I was talking about the original Dōbutsu no Mori/Animal Forest for the Nintendo 64.

Even so, I still don't see how any of this stuff is something I should be losing sleep over (aside from hilarious flailing.)
Siggy-sig
siggy
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

No one said it had to be something you lose sleep over. xD They're just differences between games, making the games not entirely the same.

Flailing seems highly appropriate for fleas. Especially among snooty animals.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Bumps for a magazine scan!

I don't speak/read japanese so I have no idea what it says. But look! Its the pink llama! PINK.

In the bubbles on the right page you can see two different house styles. Under that, the shell themed furniture and stuff. I need that so badly you guys. I freaking LOVE seashells.

In the bottom left corner on the image furthest to the left, I spy a flower bed! Possibly one of the items used to decorate the town. Also in the same image, some sort of decorative object with a jungle-gym-like pipe construction. What on earth could that be... modern art?
Kyo
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by Kyo »

Hold on, I just realized something..if the train is back (assuming it will take the place of the gate, which took the place of the train), what will Booker and Copper be doing?

Back on topic, I don't why, but the llama kind of scares me..
Siggy-sig
siggy
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

If Copper isn't in his police uniform again. I will lose my mind. GIMME BACK MY COP COPPER.

I think He/she's adorable! I dunno if its a boy or a girl llama thingy yet. D:

Also some of those animal villagers in the screenshots are not familiar to me. And I've seen most of the Japanese only animals from the earlier games. NEW VILLAGERS.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

^
I am positive it is a girl. I mean, really.

>It has a pink frilly thing around its neck.
>It has pink blush on its cheeks.
>It's so fluffy!
>It wears decorated overalls, most likely with a butterfly or flower pattern on it.
>It has eyelashes!
>Again... It's pink!
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Then again, in Japan Gracie, Saharah, and Blanca are all males.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

^
What the... That's crazy! O_O
Well I'm sure it will be female in the English version, anyway. XD
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

I theorize she'll be the animal that allows us to customize our furniture or something.
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

The pink llama is a lot cuter than I thought it'd be. I want to hug it! It's so adorable!
I thought the genders were the same everywhere... That's strange.
Kyo
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by Kyo »

PinkIceFox wrote:Then again, in Japan Gracie, Saharah, and Blanca are all males.
Why must Japan have more characters that deal with gender confusion than us? I just don't really..get why....
Siggy-sig
siggy
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Because they have a different culture that looks at things differently.

Like how in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z you'd see Kid Goku/Kid Gohan naked. Japanese culture doesn't find that as weird. They don't find Gracie being a man as strange as some Americans and others would.
Kyo
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by Kyo »

But, why change their genders and have villagers' genders stay the same? It's not like these characters aren't the only animals that look...odd to us.
Siggy-sig
siggy
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Well Gracie sells clothes and is into high fashion, Blanca looks like she's in a dress, Saharah has eyelashes.

YOU KNOW. GIRL STUFF. D:

I dunno about the villagers though. o.o I suspect it'd be too difficult to reprogram personalities and voices. Plus it may through off whatever semblance of 'balance' the animals and gender ratios have.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

Maybe NoA leaves villagers alone because they aren't ever in situations we'd find controversial/don't refer to interests conflicting with stereotypes about their gender.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

So, I've been playing on a new town in Wild World I started on Monday. FINALLY got my shovel. Took Tom long enough to get one in stock. I've already upgraded him the first time! As well as my house!

So far a bunch of uninteresting animals have moved in. Eggbert, Angus, and Daisy were my first 3. Frogbert and Pinky followed. I was kind of happy to see Pinky, considering I'd always wanted to meet her. We even have matching names! (My character's name is always Pink.) She said something about her name not being as nice as mine when I first talked to her.

But today. Oh god. Today I had the most unpleasant surprise of my life. Pinky is a panda you see. A tall bear villager. But she's not the only one. There's another panda tall bear villager. One who I have hated since the moment I saw him in my strategy guide. I turn on my DS and see who's moved in today. Who's name greets me at the bottom of my villager list?

CHOW.

It's no longer safe to leave my house at night. He's going to abduct me and lock me in his basement. D:
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

There should probably be a videogame creepypasta all about that villager, dear.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

Chow is awesome though. He won't hurt you <3
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

God. But. D: Look at that face.

That face screams "I'm going to lock you in my basement and force you to be my wife."
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

I honestly have never seen him make that face in my games XD
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

I've yet to see him make that face either.

But I've got my eye on him. <_<