Negatively Received Games You Actually Like

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Rhys Coker (SB)
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao

Re: Flawed Games You Actually Like

Post by Rhys Coker (SB) »

Sonic Adventure 2 is bugged for me, and I still love it!
Rhys Coker (SB) wrote:Goku then teleports us to the Great Wall of China, where we meet up with Knux, who we learn is dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts as he jumps straight into a tornado.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Luigi's mansion:
Basically i love this game because of the fact that...well...it was one game i actually had some social interaction with as a kid. Lemme explain. My aunt was dating some guy (barely remember him) i got luigis mansion as my first gamecube game, but i was young and couldnt figure some of it out (and it was rented before we bought it) so him and i stayed up all night beating that game.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Okay, no. No. Luigi's Mansion is NOT appropriate for this topic. Bold mine:
AtomicBat wrote:We all have that game that either we've loved since we were kids and later found out was universally panned by critics as terrible or that game we've always acknowledged as terrible as its reception but still love anyway for its charm, music, mechanics etc.

What do I know about Luigi's mansion? It was NEVER panned by critics or or fans in general. In fact:
Wikipedia wrote:Luigi's Mansion is the most successful GameCube launch title, being the best-selling game of November 2001.[36] The game has sold over 348,000 copies in Japan,[37] and 2.19 million copies in the United States,[38] making it the fifth best-selling Nintendo GameCube game in the United States.[38] It was also one of the first Player's Choice titles of the console, along with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin.[39]
The game has also received criticism, mainly because of the game's length. GameSpot said that Luigi's Mansion "fails to match the classic status of Mario's adventures" and that the "short amount of time it takes to complete it makes it a hard recommendation." The review, however, also considered that the short length prevents the gameplay and audio from getting tiresome.[33]

The main criticism about this game is it is too short.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Re: Negatively Received Games You Actually Like

Post by Lamby »

The previous title was a little confusing, so I've changed it to reflect the opening post more accurately. What we're looking for are games with negative receptions across the board that you like despite their widely acknowledged flaws.

This does not apply to everyone: most of you understood me. I apologize for confusing you.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Post by Jack Augustine »

Oh, well that makes it a lot clearer.

I love Metroid: Other M, despite the fact that Samus gets a personality and the game has so many cutscenes. Oh my god, Samus has a personality! Shut the hell up, I love the game. It expands on Fusion, and I still enjoyed the game.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Ok, my bad that everyone i know (and asked about) found luigis mansion as garbage.

Anyway...i enjoy sonic R. NOBODY likes that game. :p
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

^Negative reception isn't gathered from the people around you, but from the general consensus of the game's reviews. For future reference, if you aren't sure, check a game's wikipedia entry or check some online sources.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Corvo
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Corvo »

Shadow the Hedgehog
Metal Gear Rising
TES IV: Oblivion
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (not negatively received, but never talked about in the mainstream vidya culture)
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

^ Oblivion was universally loved by critics. However you may be getting that it is negatively received from the fact that hardcore TES fans said that the game was worse than Morrowind and Daggerfall, but this does not mean that the fans hated the game. In fact that is the opposite; most fans love the game a lot.
ZeroAlpha
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: ⍟ Prince Dignity ⍟

Post by ZeroAlpha »

Sonic 06.
Sonic Unleashed (?)- I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one, so I'm unsure if it would really count as a negatively reviewed game.
Spyro: Season of Ice.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I liked Crysis 2.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
skwid79
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by skwid79 »

Illbleed, dont know why but I heard this game got terrible reviews.
Message me on Discord if you so please at skwid79#4016
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Loudclaw wrote:Oh, well that makes it a lot clearer.

I love Metroid: Other M, despite the fact that Samus gets a personality and the game has so many cutscenes. Oh my god, Samus has a personality! Shut the hell up, I love the game. It expands on Fusion, and I still enjoyed the game.
Actually, I agree with this. Personally, I thought the PTSD kick-in was unnecessary, but I don't complain because all in all when I played through it and it did kick in to allow Ridley to kill Anthony, I really did feel the build-up to Samus kicking ass. The scene after ruined it though, in my opinion.

On the other hand, the needless throwbacks to previous games brought it down too. One or two elements in a game that stem from it's roots is exciting, but Other M really did overdo that to the point where it was more 'Oh, look. Nightmare.' rather than 'Nightmare?! No way?! That's awesome!'.
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Post by Jack Augustine »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There was a lot of elements from previous games added into it. I did like how they actually made the area before Nightmare have a lot of gravitational pulls. Heavy Samus, Inversed Samus, those were interesting.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Pssst. I know it's been out for a while, but don't forget to spoiler it.

But yeah! I completely agree with that. We can't really go into too much detail though, as this isn't a topic for that, hehe~. So I'll stop talking here.
DarkSpineChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by DarkSpineChao »

Crystal Monsters wasn't really bashed that much as far as reviews go, but a lot of people complained that it was just a rip-off of Pokemon. i loved every bit of it. it was like Pokemon Ranger's spriting, Megaman Battle Network style enemies with color changes to show higher forms, and a touch of Boktai-esque music and coloring. and it was really fun discovering all the awesome monsters without any prior knowledge. it made me never want to go to serebii again. i'm not ruining X and Y like i did with past games.

speaking of Boktai, it's gotta be my favorite gba series of all time. even beyond Pokemon and Megaman Battle Network. it's a largely unheard-of series that had poor sales record- most likely due to the requirement of sunlight for the solar sensor (which can actually be replaced by a simple black light.) it's fanbase is small but extremely loyal and is the first vampire based anything i've ever loved. the bosses are all unique and to this day, Jormungandr is still my favorite boss of all games, as the end-boss of Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django. not to mention providing powerful battle chips for Megaman Battle Network games, and the awesome Pile Driver program advance. Django and Megaman have even been in each other's games in one of the few crossover sub-plot camios there are in gaming. Boktai 3: Sabata's Counterattack is the only installment that's avoided me as it was only ever released in Japan. there are emulators
of it, but what i really want is an actual cartridge. i'd read the translated game script off a packet to play it if i had to and could find one. i absolutely love the Boks aka Gouls and even ended up with a rrandom-line sketch that ended up resembling a more awesome version of them. i have no control over that so i love it even more. there's also a manga of it that's IMPOSSIBLE to find. if anyone knows where i can find it, PLEASE let me know!

fun fact: Boktai is the prequal series to Lunar Knights if anyone's ever played it!

i could go on for hours on end about Boktai, but i think my post is long enough. i think it's pretty obvious how much i love that under appreciated gem. <333
SilverAndBlaze
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by SilverAndBlaze »

Sonic 06, despite the loading times, I LOVE IT.

Luck is just talent spelled backwards. Actually it's not, but it sounded good when I thought of it.