Tsui no Sora (The Final Sky)

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 1 day old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Tsui no Sora (The Final Sky)

Post by Tsui »

Okay I just want to gush about this game a little bit

Tsui no Sora is a 1999 visual novel by KeroQ, also responsible for H2O: Footprints in the Sand (via Makura) and Moekan. It also received something of a rewrite in Subarashiki Hibi. The game takes place through four different characters' perspectives, called views.

First View uses the perspective of Yukito Minakami, your average high school guy who skips class and likes philosophy. He and his childhood friend, Kotomi Wakatsuki, find out through their classmates and teacher that a classmate of theirs and bully victim, Zakuro Takashima, had jumped off of the school rooftop with two other students from other schools the day before. Local mysterious girl Ayana Otonashi discusses books with him and teases him in her own weird way, yet then mentions something she calls the Final Sky. As another classmate, Takuji Mamiya, starts to act more and more suspiciously, his originally timid personality does a 180 and he announces that the world will end.
Second View is a retelling of the previous one with Kotomi as its protagonist, showing how she knew Zakuro and what happens later on in the story when she wasn't around.
Third View's protagonist is Zakuro herself, and shows what happened before the main story began, and her relationships with the other students, as well as what caused her to seemingly take her own life.
Fourth View is where things really take off and all the weird stuff happens. Mamiya, protagonist of the chapter and main antagonist of the game, a boy prone to fantasies and hallucinations and frequently teased as well, is shocked and intrigued by Zakuro's suicide. Things happen, trippy things, and he becomes the leader of a cult. Yep.

Tsui no Sora is a horror game, and the themes throughout are far from family friendly. Rape and suicide are very prominent through the entire game, and few of the sex scenes are consensual. Even so, I found it to be rather enjoyable, particularly Mamiya's POV. Though, Kotomi's POV for the most part seemed a bit unnecessary. The game itself hasn't aged well at all and the art does look a little strange now and then. Some of the BGM was redone for Subarashiki Hibi, too, and the result was actually pretty nice.
But yeah. Though I believe it is out of print, if you can *cough* acquire a version of it somehow, I do recommend it.