Story Of Seasons - The Real New Harvest Moon Game

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Flare the Cat
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Story Of Seasons - The Real New Harvest Moon Game

Post by Flare the Cat »

I recently bought this game and it's so fun~ I got an adorable little rabbit plush as a pre-order bonus, too.

I've played a decent amount and it really makes up for the past few games. (Lost Valley - which wasn't even made by the original developers, A New Beginning, A Tale of Two Towns.)

If you like harvest moon and have a 3DS, plaaay this gaaame.
Avi made by http://riolu-mewfan.deviantart.com/ via request. Signature was made by me though :P
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: Story Of Seasons - The Real New Harvest Moon Game

Post by Kausa »

That little plush is so soft! @-@
And Lost Valley doesn't even count as a Harvest moon. *shudders* Ugh...

Anyway I loooove this game! I'm in my second year, partway through making Nadi love me :3
Hes so cute <3
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

I haven't really played many Harvest Moon games after A Wonderful Life (since it was honestly a pretty big disappointment to me), but I loved HM64 as a kid. I'll definitely consider picking this game up some time, but how similar are the mechanics and gameplay to HM64 and Friends of Mineral Town, and how do you personally think it stacks up to those two titles?
- space for rent -
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

I'm probably bias as anything but nothing will ever beat Friends of Mineral town.
As a series Harvest Moon has evolved a LOT over the years, so its easy to compare SoS to ANB but not so easy to compare it to such an older game.

Anyway, if you break it down its the "same".
Plant crops, water them, harvest. Take care of animals, brush them, feed them, milk them. Give the same gift to your love every day, marry them in a year.
But when you expand its fairly different. A lot of additions, you can build your own houses and design your farm, more animals, different way to ship things, you have to formally date your lover, no more rival marriage either.
You can design your character too, which is fun, and make clothing for them.
The downside is they over complicated the basic Harvest Moon formula, which has been the complaint for years in the past few games.

Honestly its worth picking up because its a good game, plain and simple.
But if its as good as FoM, thats like asking a genwrunner if diamond is as good as yellow.
Same, but different, and if you aren't stuck up about changes then its something you should really play.
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

I'm actually very open to changes in formula, although are you able to define "overcomplication"? Like, by that, do you mean it takes way too many steps than it should to perform something like tending to your crops or grooming your animals, or are there more ways to go about with it? (or a bit of both?) Also, how in-depth is house building and customization? I absolutely adore building and customizing houses (which is why I'm big on the Animal Crossing games), so if it's got a lot of depth to it, that's a failproof way to catch my interest. Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, by the way... ^^;

I think I'm going to look into it either way, though. Haven't played an HM game in a while, and it seems like a good game to jump back into the series with.
- space for rent -