The moment you really fell in love with a game.

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

The moment you really fell in love with a game.

Post by retrolinkx »

I have a lot of moments like these, mostly due to having a negative opinion beforehand and then loving it (DMC3) or from general boredom and out of nowhere it kicks up (Wonderful 101) but I'll go through a few.

For Skies of Arcadia, I went in knowing nothing, and when I really started flying around I started to really enjoy it and wonder what could be next in the game.

I came to an island and thought "Damn, how big is this game?" The map felt huge for a game that was already 12 years old when I got around to playing in 2012, and even by late game you haven't explored it all.

The game really felt like an adventure.

For W101, it really clicked for me around here and I was like "HOLY **** THIS MUSIC"

It's a shame it took about a week for a slam jam version of that song to come out, I was searching for it for so long after I completed it.

For Devil May Cry 3, I only got into it after the Agni and Runda fight, I disliked 1 and felt nothing for 2, but 3 just felt different and MUCH BETTER, so when I finally started to get into it, it became fun and not frustrating.

So what about you guys, what's that one game that just clicked in your mind and you loved it from there?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: The moment you really fell in love with a game.

Post by Coty »

Elder scrolls IV in the intro and Patrick Stewart narrated it.

The wind waker when you get the talking boat thing and realize how big the game is (for that time)

If you want to talk about modern games The wolf among us is the only one that has "clicked", I'd say near the end of chapter one I came intrigued by the story.
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

For BlazBlue, I expected a half-baked crappy fighter story, but when I got to the end of the first game and understood so much yet so little, I was really enjoying it and having a really good time, and the characterisation was incredible. I had two moments like that with this series, the second being when I got better at chaining attacks and performing combos, upon which I had hours upon hours of fun fighting CPUs, which has never happened in games before for me.

I was enthralled in Metroid Prime when I got to Phendrana Drifts. Seeing the landscape of snowy white was mesmerising.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

My first battle in Pokemon Blue and naming my first Pikachu in Yellow, as well as opening the box for Sapphire. It was the first game I didn't borrow, and I knew it would be special and I would love it the second I got a look at the cartridge.
Regenerating a monster from a CD in Monster Rancher 3, seeing how cute and amazing a Pixie/Tiger (Aero) is in Monster Rancher 4.
Seeing a Norn for the first time in Creatures trilogy.
When my friend told me I could play as a giant humanoid lion, sparking 600 hours of Oblivion and 300 of Skyrim, plus bits and pieces of Morrowind, Arena and Daggerfall.
Getting married in Harvest moon: Friends of mineral town.
I don't remember the exact moment, but I've loved Sonic ever since I watched my mom play the first few games.
And I could go on and on.
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

I don't recall the moment I fell in love with the Zelda series, but I do know that I have loved it ever since I was 4.

I fell in love with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky the moment I heard the music. It was crisp, unique, and catchy, and 99% of the time fit the mood of the story. Which I might add, it is a gorgeous one.

I'm pretty sure most everyone fell in love with Sonic Adventure 2 whenever City Escape began playing.

Also, a recent one of mine,

X
E
N
O
B
L
A
D
E

C
H
R
O
N
I
C
L
E
S

Hoooooooly **** this game. I don't personally own it, but I am happy watching chuggaconroy play it. I fell in love when he streamlined the first area, and I saw how massive, detailed, and explorable it was. I kinda fell in love but was getting a slight headache because there is so much in just that aspect of the game. And we are not even talking about the story or the features yet.

As soon as the future sight moments with Shulk came into play and a certain tragic death around the beginning, I was immediately roused. It's like I could feel Shulk's pain. I really wanted to hop in and kill the antagonists, but at the same time sit back and see what the characters would do. I really feel the love put into this game, because the setting is perfect for the story, the characters are believable and likeable, and just how much content was shoved onto a disc. No wonder it's $60 at gamestop and super rare in North America.

I also wanna point out that the battle system is polished. It reminds me of Adventure Quest Worlds, but at the same time it is it's own unique way to have the player think and strategize. Plus, the future sight ability is implemented into battle, where you can forsee an incoming death or fatal attack, and you are given time to change the future so it doesn't happen.

The music in this game is polished. I swear it is some of the best I've heard in a video game. This **** plays when you finally step out of the Colony 9 and start the adventure.

And yet, I've set to see anything bad about this game. I'm still brand new to the Xeno series so it might take me awhile to settle down about this. This game is like the action/adventure/science fiction/fantasy I always wanted but never asked for. Only on episode 19 of chuggaconroy's playthrough by the time of posting this, but hey. I love this game.

pleasenospoilersplz
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

Post by moonsoul »

There are two moments where I fall in love with a game:

The first moment happens near the beginning, where I'm skeptical if I'll enjoy playing it. When that special charm makes itself clear, the real world melts away, and I become completely engrossed. Temporary obsession is common, but how can it not be when immersion is such a wonderful feeling?

The second moment happens near or at the end. After my journey with the game, spending hours of my life playing it, something unforgettable happens. A plot twist, a well written ending, a really fun boss fight, some other awesome gameplay, something that turns a fun game into one I'll often have fond memories of, long after I'm done playing.

The first feeling is more common for me to experience. Plenty of games focus on having strong introductions; games having memorial endings are rarer. Disappointing, "Congratulations!" screens are well known for a reason. All that work, ending in little reward. I'm thankful to have experienced games that are great at both the start and the end.

The first game I'll mention is Dragon Age: Origins. I haven't played many Western RPGs, so I wasn't sure if the gameplay would appeal to me. I didn't expect to enjoy the characters as much as I did. Alistair, the comic relief character and one of your first comrades, was so much fun to interact with. I had fun going out of my way getting to know everyone, even minor characters. The game has so many choices, and the final conflicts felt epic and heart pounding. My ending felt tailored towards my decisions, and I have to admit I wept with joy as the credits rolled, overwhelmed by how beautifully it came together.

Dragon Age II failed to achieve the same scale of impressiveness as the first game, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. If you compare it to the first game, it seems meh, but on its own it still delivers interesting characters and a story you can get invested in. The beginning of the game lured me in with its speedy combat while the ending made me cry, again, but this time for a different reason. That's still a success for me, especially when well after playing it, it still invaded my dreams.

Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Premium 3rd Story was a wonderful third addition. The visuals were as cute as ever, boasting unique character art different than the expected static sprites. Dressing up your character is a feature that's been given more attention. Not only do you have the base styles from the previous games, but you can unlock more styles by dressing fashionably. Very cute! Plus, they redesigned systems that were previously frustrating such as the chocolate making mini-game and rival characters, making them enjoyable and not a chore. In past games, endings revolved around a single character. In this game there are a variety of endings that include multiple characters at once. I had to try going for one of the new endings, and it was so touching and sweet and perfect! I'm going to have to play some more so I get to experience all of the endings the game has to offer.
Vampires smell good.
rougeypougey
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: All the world's gems are mine to keep!

Post by rougeypougey »

Usually when I fall in love with a game, it's because of the graphics, characters, and/or soundtrack.

For example with Child of Light, the graphics in the game are so beautiful, and the soundtrack that goes with it really just makes the game perfect.
Image Image
Awesome avatar created by Fate001 <3