Luigi's Mansion PAL version on an american Gamecube?

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Luigi's Mansion PAL version on an american Gamecube?

Post by naruto_chao »

So I've been playing Luigi's Mansion a lot, mostly to keep me from completely snapping.

Anyway, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a difference between the regular and hidden mansions, so I looked up what they were. Apparently only the PAL version has major differences (though, I dunno what PAL stands for, even.)

I was wondering if I bought a PAL version of the game, would I be able to run it on my american gamecube?

I mean, If anyone knows. I probably could have googled this, but right now I don't have the attention for that.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Luigi's Mansion PAL version on an american Gamecube?

Post by chaoadventures »

PAL = Phase Alternating Line

Basically, it's another way of making the TV show colors. American TVs are NTSC. European TVs are PAL.

GameCubes and Wiis are region locked. As in, they don't want you importing games from other countries, because they're jerks. The GameCube/Wii actually can still load them if you mod your console.
(Also, Japanese games are categorized as NTSC-J, meaning you can't play them either, even though both the America and Japan use the same NTSC. Genuine jerks.)

To answer your question briefly, no, you can't play the PAL version of Luigi's Mansion.
Well, probably. I've heard a few games aren't region locked, but I have no proof of that, or know if Luigi's Mansion is one. You can also use a GameCube FreeLoader, if you really want to play it though.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Pretty sure PAL games are also 50hz, which in the early days meant they ran slightly slower than their 60hz NTSC counterparts.

Sonic wasn't much fun at that speed.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Actually, thank Sega and the Dreamcast for being one of the first, if not, the first to bring 60hz gaming to PAL territories. Last I remember, there were tons of 60hz options in DC games, which was nice, and the PS2/GC/Xbox had these options as well.

Gen 6 with a dozen or so exceptions, had 60hz on their games on each console.

Interestingly, PAL is a much better format than NTSC, the only thing it had over PAL was the 60hz, and once we got that down. NTSC just stayed inferior, although NTSC-J is pretty good.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!