The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

GET HYPE
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Ivogoji »

I WAS LITERALLY GOING TO MAKE A GENERAL ZELDA TOPIC JUST NOW

JUST THIS INSTANT

why you do this?!

WHY

----;---;;;;-------;---------

Anyway, speculation: Breath of the Wild most likely takes place in-between Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. It seems like this game will explore what happened to the Hero of Time to cause the "middle", downfall timeline that leads to all the classic 2D games.

Looking at the gameplay, it's almost like a remake of the first Zelda game. Open exploration? Unbelievable! And the sheer size of the overworld is crazy. This is the kind of game Skyward Sword should have been.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

I agree but the Wii really lacked the power for open world so it wasn't exactly an option.

Timeline-wise, it has Koroks and the monsters from Wind Waker, so I think it's that timeline, but I don't know where in it. It can't be before WW or MM 'cause water, but it seems to be in the future because Link is resurrected using seemingly alien tech.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

The presence of the Shiekah artifact and the direct mention of the Goddess Hylia makes me think the Wind Waker timeline would be ruled out. Plus this looks too much like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess's Hyrule to be part of the post-Wind Waker world.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

hi i don't know anything about zelda but im hype because you can have a really really big sword apparently
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

In IGN's one hour of gameplay, it really caught my attention that this Link was in the "Shrine of Resurrection" at the very start. He woke up from some sort of slumber, like his body was preserved until he was needed to fulfill his destiny. What sort of event could have triggered his "Resurrection"?

He then climbs out of the coffin-like thingamawhojit, finds some threadbare clothes (Because Nintendo owes the fangirls some fanservice after Bayonetta and Metroid), and is given a Sheikah Slate to help him on his journey.

From this screen, a mysterious voice tells him this:
"You are the light--our light--that must shine upon Hyrule once again."
So this could be referring to himself, or his role in the grand scheme of the timeline. I'd stick with the former idea, as Link seems to have been "Resurrected". Does this mean that this Link could be a Link we already are familiar with? If this is true, my best bet would be that this Link is the ALBW Link. The sideburns and overall build of his model suggests a connection between the two.

Also noting that Link might have amnesia, as when he got the Sheikah Slate, the description reads that Link has never seen it before, but it looks familiar. A common side effect of being put to sleep for a good while.

But why was he put to sleep in the first place? This is actually really interesting for me. Maybe its because they were afraid of not having a hero in the future, so they preserved one. Your guess is as good as mine.

Also noting that after Link climbs out of the Shrine, he overlooks Hyrule.
Das a lot of peaks. I'll get back to that, hold that thought.
(Also, why is the Master Sword rusted like that? Is it damaged?)

Timeskip a bit, after some exploring, a dive into a pond leads to this encounter:
"WTF IS A KOROK DOING HERE"
I literally lost my shiz when the Korok appeared. Timeline wise, the Koroks used to be the Kokiri children, but after the Great Flood, they took upon the forms of the Korok. (The Deku Tree said so in Wind Waker :u)
But immediately after, it was stated that the Koroks were a favorite among the developers, so they may just be an easter egg.

And then, we come across the one and only Temple of Time.
It's not exactly in good condition. Scattered about the place are lifeless shells of the strong enemies we saw in the first trailer. Climbable and molding, but something tells me that later on they'll be booted back up and serve as stronger enemies later in the game/late game/post game.

Not only is the Temple of Time in ruins, but the old man who camped outside of the Shrine of Resurrection stated that the Kingdom was currently in a state of decay. Back on that later too.

In the new trailer, just briefly, we see this scene unfold:
Link seems to have been through a bit of adventuring, but he is still garbed in the threadbare clothes he found at the very beginning. Either he triggered something with the Sheikah Slate, or it was just convenient timing. Whatever the case, Link is standing next to a pedestal closely resembling the one found in the Shrine of Resurrection, where Link was given the Slate. There seems to be a bright light within the castle, which likely grabbed his attention.

And then... this.

If that's Hyrule Castle, it's being enveloped in darkness once again. There seems to be a light shining from the castle; It's likely Princess Zelda flashing Link
It grows into this, before the screen cuts to black. It looks like Ganon's up to his schemes again. Also note that the light appears to be shining brighter by the end of the clip.

Okay, that's all I'm bringing to the table, now to sort out my thoughts.

Earlier, I mentioned how there were so many peaks in the overworld.
I have this silly theory that this game might be a sequel to Wind Waker, but if my previous theory about ABLW Link being the protagonist ends up being correct, it literally crushes this theory. Vice versa can happen too. Wind Waker had a huge overworld, similar to BOTW's, but most of it was waterlogged and under the sea.

IIRC, it is stated in Wind Waker that when there was no hero to fight Ganon (thanks zelda timeline for making this almost as confusing as KH), the Goddesses decided to flood Hyrule, granting Ganon's wish to bring ruin to it and told the people to flee to the mountaintops, which became the islands. The reason the Hero never arrived to save the day was because in Ocarina of Time, the Hero of Time vanished because he left the timeline to live his life. Without a hero, there was no descendant.

This may as well be the prequel to Wind Waker, because as I mentioned before, there are mountains and peaks almost everywhere. If something ends up happening to this Link, this might be the start of the fall of Hyrule. After all it is in "a state of decay". Unless they added a fourth branch to this timeline. If that's the case, we don't have many holes here. Simply, in this timeline there was a preserved hero to save the day and prevent Hyrule from flooding. The end.

This can't coexist with my ALBW Link idea, so I may be wrong with that theory.

I'm pretty sure theres a few holes to point out in this. Go ahead and discuss; I'm actually very interested to learn more about this and hear your ideas. But something about this all just makes me think of Wind Waker. After all, "Breath of the Wild"? Breath can relate to air, wind, motion, movement, freedom. Taken literally, this game is probably going to provide the most freedom in the Zelda franchise. So I think BOTW is an appropriate title.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

So. Much. Hype.
It looks beautiful, it looks smooth, it looks like a huge return to the original Zelda, which is an amazing thing, and a very bold choice.

Timeline wise is weird. The kingdom is described as the ruined kingdom of Hyrule, it seems like villages and such are not really present, and as mentioned before, Koroks throw things off a lot. Ganon is seemingly present with a form resembling Ocarina of Time's (as hypothesized by this image)
Note the shadow on the right, specifically with a yellow eye, and horns most resembling OoT Ganon. I am sure this game will have a reasonable canon timeline placement, but like most others, will also have some inexplicable inconsistencies (like Koroks, if it is in Fallen Timeline.

And clothes changing (and very little Hero's Tunic action) looks cool.
All in all, this seems like a huge step for the Zelda series as a whole, and could effect the next several big console Zelda games.

To Yukki, I think prequel to Wind Waker is a very strong possibility. What with the mountains, as you said, and if Ganon is in OoT-beast form. The biggest problem is that for it to be before the flood, this Link has to fail. Which is kind of sad, and I don't think Nintendo is bold enough to do a Zelda game where Link absolutely fails and dies. Perhaps (I hope not) this could be the start of another branch of timeline, where a Link stops Ganon so the flood doesn't happen. I guess you were hinting at this in the end of your post, too.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

This has to occur relatively close to the events of Ocarina of Time. In Twilight Princess the Shiekah are a rumor; in every other game they're ancient history. OoT is the only game where they are properly recognized by name. Also, look at the Temple of Time- it's in ruins but... not as much so as in TP, or A Link to the Past (where there was nothing left but the Master Sword and it's pedestal). Proximity to OoT seems to be the key here.

Then there's Link being in the Shrine of Resurrection. According to the Hyrule Historia, in the ALttP timeline the Hero of Time fell in battle against Ganon, which lead to him gaining the whole Triforce before being sealed away by the sages. So if Breath of the Wild Link is a revenant of some kind, could he be the resurrected Hero of Time?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
cloudchaoclan
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao
Motto: determined

Post by cloudchaoclan »

Ivogoji wrote: Then there's Link being in the Shrine of Resurrection. According to the Hyrule Historia, in the ALttP timeline the Hero of Time fell in battle against Ganon, which lead to him gaining the whole Triforce before being sealed away by the sages. So if Breath of the Wild Link is a revenant of some kind, could he be the resurrected Hero of Time?
I'm thinking this is between OoT and LttP just because of the proximity of OoT's landmarks and this theory I have that the Korok were born in an alternate way if the flood never happened. This is of course assuming the Korok aren't just an easter egg.

Also we're looking at a Zelda game mixed with Shadow of the Colossus and if that one section of the trailer is anything to go off of I can sneak around and take out enemy outposts like in MGSV.
I didn't know I needed this so badly in my life.
wuz fun -_^
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I have an awkward feeling that I'm going to enjoy the older titles less after this one. They'll still be "The Classics", but they'll also be missing the openness of the new one.

Also I'd like to assume the wilderness has really bad breath because it's never used a toothbrush in it's life.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

It really annoys me when I look at youtube comments and people immediately start whining about graphics. T.T
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Post by Goat »

^ They could make the downgrade in graphics between what they display before and what they show in the game not as offensively obvious
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

cloudchaoclan wrote:Also we're looking at a Zelda game mixed with Shadow of the Colossus and if that one section of the trailer is anything to go off of I can sneak around and take out enemy outposts like in MGSV.
The game play showed more of this.

1. You can zoom in and tag enemies MGS-style, allowing you to see their current HP/max HP.
2. Like previous games, you can throw things to have the enemies investigate the clashing sound.
3. The tall grass you can hide in isn't everywhere, especially not on slopes, but at least one patch is usually in sight.
4. The outposts are common and contain chests with basic loot like arrows, consumables, and, rarely, better gear.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Since I haven't been using the internet for the passed five days, might as well give my feedback.

Pros:
- As much as I hate Open World games, this seems like they've thought out a lot of it. It won't just be an empty lifeless wasteland whereas it won't be something that is forcing you to do too much. It seems as if it's fit a nice balance
- The game seems like it will have a lot to do, from exploring (which I'm happy is a big focus of the game) to random side quests that could be missable but will give you some great weapons/items for doing it
- Cooking food is interesting, and I'm hoping that it can play some big parts in the gameplay rather than just temperature changes and more hearts (although, both of those are great)
- The physics seems interesting and I'm hoping some dungeons and bosses utilise them quite well
- The way to obtain items seems quite fun, it's like you have to prove you can use the item to truly obtain it. Might be fun.

Cons:
- Voice Acting.
- The Sheikah Slate.
- Missing an important items might limit how you play, hopefully not. But if I say missed the bombs for whatever reason, this might limit my gameplay in some way.
- The pop in is quite bad, I'm hoping the NX version improves upon this.
- Seems to be a lack of story from what I've seen, although they do say that if you do a lot, you'll piece it together. I'm just hoping that doing the basics can give you the basics, and doing more can give you extra lore
- Even though it looks like there is tons to do, I hope it doesn't end up like Fallout 4 where there's is just nothing to do because everything is the same, and nothing changes.

Overall, I like it. Can't wait for it to come out.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Mind elaborating on why voice acting and the slate are cons?

Also, can't remember if it was mentioned here, but there was an article that said players would have the option of heading straight for the final boss from the beginning if they so desired. This implies that, assuming the game is well designed overall, missing what would be a vitally important item in past games just means you won't be able to use the most obvious solution for some situations rather than rendering them impossible. For example, got some rubble blocking your path? If you have bombs, you can just blast a path through, but if you don't have bombs, you might still be able to continue by rock climbing over the rubble.

If done well, I can see this leading to a game where a well-equipped Link always has the perfect tool for the job at hand with plenty of potential for self-imposed challenges involving the player thinking out of the box to overcome obstacles with a minimally-equipped Link.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

I'm not tooo into the Zelda series, so I'm afraid I can't join in on all the theorizing here. But the game looks really fun! The gameplay seems to incorporate some classic RPG elements not common in other Zelda games (such as a wider variety of armor, weapons, etc) and it seems like something I'd really enjoy.

I've seen it described so far as "Dark Souls meets Skyrim but you play as Link," and while of course I cringed at that, there is some truth to it. This game takes some steps away from the Zelda formula it would seem, and I'm excited.
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

Prince Ricard wrote:This game takes some steps away from the Zelda formula
Well, they're not taking steps away from the formula as some would think. They're just rethinking the conventions of Zelda, and going back to it's roots (aka the first Zelda game) where the player focuses more on exploration and gameplay than the story. Obviously there's a story/mystery to solve, but it will be up to the player whether or not they follow it.

Which may turn out great or confusing. It's been confirmed that you can literally face the final boss right from the get-go, armed with nothing more than underwear and a stick. You wouldn't know why you would do that to yourself, but that would be a miracle for speedrunners. However, regular players might as well skip a lot of the story and wouldn't understand much of the plot because they're too drawn into the vast overworld. Or, some players might play for the story. Whatever the case, the players are bound to miss several key factors in the plot, or miss several Shrines. The overworld is way too big to promise early completions. Hell, it might even take months or even a year before the game is 100%.

Also want to mention that I'd really love time travel again. The game does tell the player in the e3 demo that Link was sleeping for 100 years, but why? Could we eventually return to the past and see Hyrule 100 years ago? That would be an interesting twist we truly haven't seen since OoT/AlttP. Skyward Sword tried to present time travel, but honestly? We couldn't even exit the temple in the past. It was poorly executed. AlttP pretty much threw the Dark World in the faces of the players after they think they've defeated Agahnim. Would something similar happen in BotW?
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

If this game doesn't go well a lot of Nintendo employees are getting ready to face lay offs of a Lysistrata proportion
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Unlikely.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

it's not that far fetched, obviously I'm exaggerating but it's not like Nintendo is doing swell as a company. their brand name has been tarnished and the wii u really hurt them financially.
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Actually, I'm pretty sure the WiiU was profitable. It didn't sell nearly as well as Nintendo had hoped, but that isn't the same as turning a loss.

I've also heard that Japan's general corporate culture is a lot less layoff happy compared to the US.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I mean is it a video game or is it crack?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Hold on. Time?

Like Time magazine?

TIME?!?!

They review games?

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

hahaha, a 10, nintendo's nostalgia power floors me every time

the game's more like a 7. doesn't bring much revolutionary to the table, unless you consider the standard open world action adventure with rpg elements formula that's over 7 years old revolutionary. this isn't a witcher 3 level of sophistication and depth we're talking about, it's Zelda actually catching up to industry standards except with doofy AI to be darksiders 2 with a bigger map

horizon does the same, only it's derivative from stronger games. also there's really no reason to buy the Switch version from what I've seen, unless you just want a reason to use that machine until the core IPs come out in 50 years. yeah the game is good, but when a Nintendo game gets 10s across the board for a game with the industry standards of the entire genre and nothing more it's funny to see how low the bar has been set for a company that once lorded the industry and reviews in general

oh but link is hotter, i like that part
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

I got the game the day after it came out, and I LOVE it! The sheer size of the world is CRAZY, it still surprised me even though I saw gameplay footage. I am still tired from my weekend binge!
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”