The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Mamkute »

I preordered it, but it did not arrive until Monday, so I had a weekend to just be sad that I didn't have Zelda.
But I played it yesterday, and it is thoroughly amazing. I love that I can just climb anything. The world is really nice and diverse, with a lot of things to do and go to. And there is a whole lot more that I want to freak out about, but I digress.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

I'm in love with this game. Even the real world physics play a way more significant role than I thought. Nintendo outdid themselves this time. And it's like darksouls level of hard with some enemies. It's really great. I've died like 10 times fighting this creature Lynel and I'm actually happy about it'so difficulty. Just not happy I can't beat it haha

Edit: I was gonna make this topic myself to try to be an active participant in this site. Also I have both the switch version and the Wii U version because I spent a week looking for a switch and almost bought one from a scalper or two. It's a joke finding it anywhere, so rather than stressing over it, I'll just buy it when it's available in retail stores and when Super Mario Odyssey is out. Doesn't help that both my friend and my boyfriend got it for the Wii U before I got a switch, so it literally killed me inside
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

That would definitely be painful, to see it played but be unable to.
What I love about the game is how open the puzzles are. There are some obvious ways, but the physics are so open that there are tons of ways to do just about anything.

The first 10 hours of this game were the best game I have ever played ever. Since then, the initial awe has worn off, but it has still been an absolutely amazing game.
And I agree with Linds about the difficulty being a very nice inclusion.

My biggest disappointment is lack of dungeon items (which I feel like they could have compromised having those and the absolute freedom from the start of the game.)
I have also seen the complaint that the game is lacking great new music, which I can kind of see. I mean, the soundtrack is great, but that is because it is using great songs from OoT, WW, SS, etc. The title theme, though, is really impressive and gets me so hyped.

I also love the first 3D appearance of Lynels and making them appropriately terrifying.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

I swear, the puzzles are so hard sometimes. But they can also be super custom. I know I've done more than most of the ones I have completed in very unconventional ways haha. They're fantastic. Really make you think. The lack of real dungeons themselves is a little sad for nostalgia and mechanics reasons but I really do love the way they work in this. Truly gotta think through them. And yeah, I will say that the lack of music is a bit sad. Zelda music was always something I looked forward to. But what music is there is pretty great. Some of just the most serene places and times of day have great music and sounds. All in all this game is definitely a must buy
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

It's a pretty good game. There's a lot of ways to approach things -- it's been thrown around a lot recently, but I said it the first time I played it and it really is true: it's the MGSV of Zelda. Even down to the point that they are both missing actual levels in exchange for the open world. They are both really fun, so it is fine by me.

The difficulty's strange because it curves downward. The actual plot-involved things are really easy and the cooking means you basically have infinite health once you find the right ingredients, but just walking around in some places, like too close to a Lynel, can get you killed instantly. It is hardest at the start with three hearts and no abilities (and I agree with Mamkute in his belief that that is a ton of fun) and then goes down as Link becomes brokenly powerful. In a way, I regret the glider, because solving the puzzle to get across the stream in the mountains is a highlight, and that is not experienced at all (beyond, 'how do I a climb this?) once Link's mobility rises.

I really like the fact that
Spoiler:
you can fight Ganon about an hour into it. All the rest just makes the fight easier. It does trivialize the plot because the player makes the conscious decision that whatever trivial nonsense they're doing, like chasing a Cucco, it is more important than stopping armageddon. It doesn't really worsen the game, but I have gotten a chuckle out of it a couple times.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I really wish I could play this game.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I am sorry Jeffery.

I would recommend checking out the story, if you can tolerate unnecessarily British Zelda. Being a Zelda game, the main pull is gameplay as always, but I think this is shaping up to be one of my favorite Zelda stories. It addresses a lot of issues I had with the series after Skyward Sword's story firmly established the weird repeating history and archetypes of the series.
The characters (mainly Zelda) have a level of awareness about the repeated history of the Princess, Hero, and Demon, and Zelda seems angered about her forced role. Which I think is really cool.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

I want to get this game, but I have a question first.

Are there any noticeable differences between the Wii U version and the Switch version?

I ask this because I don't think I can really afford to buy a Switch right now, so I'll most likely buy the Wii U version of the game instead.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

I have the wii u version and it's fine to me. Just depends on if you want the mobility of the switch or not honestly
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

apparently the wii u version runs better so don't waste money on the switch just yet because after zelda you're gonna be waiting months for the nintendo games that the fans want. like i'm serious

also visually there really isn't a strong difference, in fact in tv mode zelda switch has horrible resolution. like i'm not just being anti-nintendo; the switch version isn't optimized well. there's no extra content either as of now so don't worry about going switch just yet. save your money until there's more switch games you want. maybe it'll price drop by then, it's probably gonna be about six months before splatoon 2 and mario and nx only exclusives; didn't nintendo say something like that? not to say NOTHING is coming out, it's just updated ports like mk8 deluxe, multiplats, and armz for a bit. the only downside is if you wanted yooka-layle the wii u version was canceled i think so, the switch will get it later this year while it's already out next month for ps4/xb1/pc actually my ps4 was basically useless that first 18 months before a solid game flow started too, as was the xb1 though that's still sucking to be that good of equipment, it's really a waste. but getting off topic

apparently zelda fans love it on wii u just as much so be excited. it's a good game i just expected a little more, if you misunderstood me before. i think it's more a 7/10, but that doesn't mean i don't think it doesn't hit everything zelda fans wanted so to you you'll probably rate it higher. i'm just blunt and facetious and sassy. never take me too seriously. generally i mean nothing mean spirited, i am like that to my own mother. i didn't mean to suggest you have bad taste because you like zelda or whatever, honest

___

also this part is for discussion in general. i don't think theorizing timeline placement really counts as spoilers, but just in case anyone wants to play on their terms without being influenced or knowing anything :
without being spoilery it almost appears to imply every timeline re-converges at this point no matter what and it's so far into future it really could end any timeline or in theory re-combine them into one, because there's references in game to all 3. or the other like prominent analysis is it ends the defeated line and references are just for fun. i've also seen others. but i think botw could be used as a way to soft reboot the series next time and while soft reboots keep lore, future games needn't be tied down by timelines anymore if nintendo was smart
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Alright, thanks. That's good to know.

I'm not exactly in a rush to get the Switch. The only other games for it that I'm interested in at the moment are Yooka-Laylee (which is also gonna be on PC so I'll probably get that version instead) and Super Mario Odyssey (not coming out until the holidays), so... Yeah.
And being portable isn't really that important to me, either. Like, heck, even with the actual handhelds like the 3DS, I just sit in bed and play them with the charger still plugged in.

So yeah, I guess the Wii U version would be the better option for me personally.

Until then, I suppose I'll continue watching some more gameplay on Youtube.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

If I could see well enough to play Ukulele(or however they corrupted the spelling to keep the pronunciation the same as two words), I'd probably be waiting for the Switch version since it's the only handheld version(Okay, I might could stream the PS4 version to my Vita, but that's still a step down in mobility from running it natively on a handheld) and the PC-version is probably Windows-only(That's where nearly all of the mods will be, but putting up with Microsoft's BS is a large price to pay). Granted, if Breath of the Wild wasn't sounding like the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina and if the handheld version of Disgaea 5 wasn't breaking the tradition of being on a Sony handheld(Okay, the first Disgaea got a DS port, but I'm pretty sure Afternoon of Darkness on the PSP was first and generally considered the better port even though the DS version added a few playable characters), I'd probably be holding off on the switch and would be more excited for Ys 8 if I could see well enough to play.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Citrus, seriously get it! As covered by Lamby, the Switch version is not without its own issues. This is a game you will want sooner rather than later.
Lamby wrote:apparently zelda fans love it on wii u just as much so be excited. it's a good game i just expected a little more, if you misunderstood me before. i think it's more a 7/10, but that doesn't mean i don't think it doesn't hit everything zelda fans wanted so to you you'll probably rate it higher. i'm just blunt and facetious and sassy. never take me too seriously. generally i mean nothing mean spirited, i am like that to my own mother. i didn't mean to suggest you have bad taste because you like zelda or whatever, honest
I know you have some pretty strong opinions about, well most things I think, so I am glad you clarified on your original comment. It irked me mildly, and I kind of just ignored it.
I am fairly new to the open world genre of games, with not having played too many, but I think the main revolutionary thing about this one in particular is that you really can go anywhere. I played FFXV, and I was consistently disappointed with how many rock structures you could not climb. BotW has none of that. Additionally, the world design is great. It may be huge, but it is full of so many memorable locations. And the game encourages you to explore. If you go on a stupid long tangent up a waterfall, because it looks cool, chances are there will be a reward on that waterfall.

The game definitely has flaws, with things like framerates and other technical things (and even occasions were the game literally pauses for a second or two,) and made some choices that I am not a huge fan of (no dungeon items) but pretty much everything it does, it does to the best of its ability. Weapon durability may be a complaint by some, but it is a system that was implemented with intention, and is quite polished as well. And it legitimately gave me a sense of wonderment in a game that I have never had since childhood. Said wonderment has worn off some, but it was very impressive.

And when it comes to timelines, That is most of what I had seen. Either a timeline convergence story, or Downfall. I personally think Downfall, since that one has the most recurring theme of Ganon being more a disaster and force of destruction than a person with motives. I think placename references are a nice touch, but I do think they are just for fun. There are even spots named after locations in Link's Awakening, which definitely has no real world bearing.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

So is anyone else majorly left unsatisfied with the ending or is it just me
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

I didn't want to ruin anyone's fun by killing the magic, but yeah, the ending is pretty underwhelming.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I've heard there are at least two endings: a normal ending and an extended/true ending, the latter of which requires completing several of the game's major quests. Maybe you guys just got the normal ending. For most games with multiple endings, there's usually a few that amount to little more than a "you suck" to the player or a teaser to an ending that's harder/more time consuming to obtain.

Of course, even if the true ending sucks, everything I've read about this game gives the impression of it being a game where the journey is much more important than the destination.