Cave Story

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Cave Story

Post by retrolinkx »

Just started playing this game today, and finished it 8 hours later.

Even though I'm only

10...11...12 years late. That's pretty damn late! It's still a great game that held up pretty well. It was great a solid 8.5/10 apart from two sections.

One boss I had to go fight suffered from a similar thing in Dark Souls has that I hate. Long corridors, Hard Bosses. In other words, if you die from a hard boss, you're sent back at least 5 minutes and you have to go through those 5 minutes again and again. This is also made really annoying by the fact that your weapons have a sort of degrading system, in which if you get hit too much your weapon levels down and becomes weaker and to only way to get this back up is to kill enemies and hope they drop experience orbs to pick up.

So you have to go through the same long corridor, avoiding as many enemies and any other possible hazards as possible to get another shot at a boss. I really hate this since you have to waste time doing all of this when they could've easily placed a save point right outside the boss's room. It's a massive waste of time and I really hate it.

The last section was actually the final boss, or should I say the final boss rush mode which I hated so much. Took me around 50 minutes to do. I really hated it because the first boss you waste all your stuff on because you don't fully understand the fight or the idea that you're going to fight another boss and then BAM another boss. So you're half health, low ammo. You try your best and you somehow beat him. Great huh? Wrong, THERE'S ANOTHER ****** BOSS and if you somehow defeat this boss and get to the core guess ****** what.

THERE'S ANOTHER BOSS

ACTUALLY IT'S A BOSS WITH TWO MINI-BOSSES

Honestly, it wasn't THAT bad once I finished it because I knew exactly how to deal with them all, but holy **** I hate boss rush modes, they could've at least AT LEAST put a save point before the final final boss. It's annoying to go through 4 bosses just because you want the game to be harder. Hell, on the final run I had I killed the 2nd and 3rd boss in literal seconds without taking any damage.

Still a great game though, it's interesting to see that the game has different endings and you can choose to do things, like not accepting a machine gun mid game would let you get a better weapon as the game goes on, or not accepting a jet pack literally saves someone's life (if you follow certain steps) Music is great and has a very metroid-ey feel to it, the locations you can go through were colourful and vibrant and had different types of enemies to fight which kept it fresh.

My favourite part of the game has got to be when you get to have Curly as a companion and you go through the final stages of Labyrinth together with this playing. It really felt good to blow all that up with someone beside you while this fast paces music helps you along the way. It gave the whole scene an upbeat sort of "Hey, let's get outta this impossible to get out of situation, together" and it was super fun to get through the whole area. I really enjoyed that part.

I sadly didn't save Curly but I did get the Normal Ending instead so I guess it's something. I hear the Best ending's boss is a nightmare, and even I found the last boss rush mode to be horrible.

Also holy **** this game goes for £50+ for the 3DS. It came out in 2011, I should've snatched this up and played it back then when I had the chance, god damn.

How about you guys, I know I'm pretty late and it's probably been discussed on CI before, but it's been a while, why not talk about it again?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Re: Cave Story

Post by Flame »

I replayed Cave Story recently, myself. After a while, you really get a hang for the controls, and the last time, I think I died twice the entire run, once against the Core the first time and once in a platforming section early on reacquainting myself. I didn't die or even need to use my Heart Jar in the Bloodstained Sanctuary, which surprised me a bit.

Honestly, still one of my favourite platforming games. The first time I ever ran through it I just went normally up to the Labyrinth, when my friend told me to re-do it all to save Curly, and I did. I died so many times, but you get the hang of it.

If you hate the boss rush/having to redo the final five minutes, you will probably despise the Bloodstained Sanctuary if you ever come to do it. You go through the entire area (which is the hardest in the game), fight a boss, then fight a boss that's basically three bosses in a row. The BSS is so much worse than the final three mainline story bosses that honestly, if you have a really hard time with it or things like that, I wouldn't blame you for not bothering trying it. I got the friend I do something with almost every day to play CS, and she's backed out of playing it now that she's in the BSS because she just cannot handle it. The final cave (hidden) is pretty bad too.

I feel kinda bad having played the free CPU version all my life, because this is really a game worth spending towards. Ironically enough Retro, the final fight with the Core and the other minibosses is my favourite part, the part where the Doctor and the crystal throws everything it has at you to kill you, but as Quote you overcome it and put a dead stop to everything he planned. The music is so great there.

Honestly, I also think the Remastered soundtrack sounds worse than the original, with a few exceptions, like Moonsong. That's just me, though.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: Cave Story

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Honeslty looking back, the boss rush is actually quite easy once you know what you're doing. Misery is just the "aim up, dodge stuff" boss, and can be beaten without taking any damage, which I did once.

The 2nd and 3rd boss are stupidly easy as well, if you have upgraded rockets you can just spam them at the start of the fight to do like 180 damage, and he only has like 450 health or something, and both bosses are exactly the same with the exception of the 3rd boss which can rush you and elbow you doing 10 damage and de-ranking your weapon. But if you just jump around both fights are trivial and boils down to "Spam shoot button, jump, spam shoot button, jump"

The 4th boss is the hardest of the bunch, mostly due to you being weaker and having to fight 2 other bosses at the same time, but really I had the idea that I shouldn't attack the mini-bosses because one of them was Sue and I thought killing her would change the ending but if I left her it would be fine, so when I just couldn't do it with them spamming attacks, I had to take them out first and when I did the fight become a lot easier. Plus the Health Jar.

Shame I didn't get all the life capsules. I got to 45 health and didn't know if I could get back to the Labyrinth or not.

The funny thing is, I should've never taken the jetpack since it was so useless in the game when I used the level 3 machine gun to fly me up all the time. It made a lot of stages easier, especially the Labyrinth and even the final bosses.

I played with the remastered soundtrack so of course I'd be biased towards it. I have nothing against the original though, I just prefer the remastered.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!