Donkey Kong Country

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Donkey Kong Country

Post by Sable »

anyone here a fan of these games? personally i love the absolute **** out of 1 and 2 is GOAT platformer to be totally honest. i'm rather indifferent towards dixie kong goes to canada 3 but it's definitely a good game as well. one of my favorite things about 2 in particular is the atmosphere, the aesthetic and music combine to create an utterly intoxicating experience that almost makes you forget you're playing a 20-year-old game. standout tracks are forest interlude, mining melancholy, and stickerbush symphony - one of the reasons why i'm not as crazy about 3 is that it dials back the amazing feelings that 2 conjured.

another thing that i really love about 2 is the way that the game has TONS of secrets but none of them ever feel cheap or impossible to find without a guide. after you start seeing clever nuances in the level design the collection of hidden items turns into a delayed conversation between the player and designer and it's so ingenious dkjlsdfjl

all of these games seriously pushed the SNES to its limits and rare continued to innovate in that way until the 7th generation. it's a shame they've kind of hit rock bottom, i'd especially love for a new banjo game to hit the level of quality that the originals were at.

chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Donkey Kong Country

Post by chaoadventures »

Meanwhile:

I never played any of the Donkey Kong Country games other than Tropical Freeze, but I'd be more than willing to play the SNES ones.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

the music is so atmospheric it makes me bust a nut. Metaphorically. Though, I'd imagine playing it while actually busting a nut would only improve the nut busting experience for everyone involved.

Not a fan of the games themselves but thats just because I don't like playing as DK/Diddy, DK feels too big and Diddy feels way too lanky (pun not intended please don't bring it up), especially because of his tail. Not a fan of their designs, and I know that's a really flimsy reason, but I've got my guns and I usually stick to them.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Maybe it's because DKC3/DKL3 were the games I played first and were the only ones I owned physical carts of, but I could never get in to 1/2 of either trilogy the way I did game 3.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

they were okay, but little girl me wasn't super interested in the snes, but more than i was genesis, the poor man's console

even being born in 1993, just two years later the ps1 and n64 were rolled out so the snes was like this weird ancient relic my cousins played, i had been given this old snes by my stepdad's brother with like f-zero, smw, the super star wars games, some other overglorified nintendo ips, etc. though i did rent random snes games when i'd rent ps1 and 64 games; dkc along with kirby's dreamland 3 were some of the like totally better ones

i remember liking dkc3 a lot more, though. in general, i dislike side-scrollers, outside metroidvanias and their namesakes, mega man, and like klonoa/wario/tomba types, but yeah i'll agree, dkc trilogy was pretty solid 20 years ago, probably wouldn't go back though
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "