Abandoned by Chao Island

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Abandoned by Chao Island

Post by CasualCollision »

The Chao Island Time Travel server test run is starting! Scroll to the bottom of this post for details.

Some of you may remember the Chao Island Minecraft server that was formerly hosted by Lunar X Diviner VII in 2012. Having been well abandoned for so long, the world's man-made structures have been dilapidated, and nature has begun to take over. Houses are enveloped by vines, water has made its way through, and overall, the world is but a mere shadow of its former self. Many places have become unrecognizable.

Disclaimer: The changes done to these buildings were done without the permission of their creators. However, no permanent damage has been done to anything. A backup was made before making any changes.
Spoiler:
The Island - Before and After:

Aestuo and Mischief Asylum - Before and After:

Other Notable Places - Before and After:

This was a project me and JmTsHaW did out of boredom a year ago. We intended to show this shortly after finishing, but we kind of lost track of time. Still, no time like the present, right? Perhaps we can use this opportunity to start a conversation and reminisce about the days when a handful of the Chao Island community set aside their differences and played Minecraft together everyday.

***************************************************************************************
After some positive feedback, I have put together a server that includes the old CI world that was hosted by Lunar X Diviner VII, the Abandoned Variant, and a completely clean regeneration of the island! The server's theme will be time, and you'll be able to travel forward or back in time (getting back might not be as simple though c;)! I am currently hosting the server as a sort of test run to help iron out any quirks that any player comes across. You will need to be playing on Release 1.8.8. Be aware that my internet isn't very good, so you might be prone to a big of lag. Try to bear through this until I get a better host. Be sure to PM me or post in this thread if you encounter any problems.

The IP is **.***.***.***
Server is currently offline.

The plugins are as follows:
Admin Fun
Core Protect
Lockette
Multiverse Core
Multiverse Sign Portals
PermissionsEx
Simple Rename
Ultimate Core
World Edit
World Guard
Last edited by CasualCollision on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Re: [Image Heavy] Abandoned by Chao Island

Post by Pumpkinium »

man i didnt even kno u still had this frickin world

i love it
help me
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Yep, I sure do! I never intended on getting rid of it since it has quite a bit of sentimental value. There's little chance of me losing it either since I have this whole hard drive backed up on my 1TB portable HDD.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

We need a new one. Honestly, it would be pretty neat.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

^we rly do, i wouldnt mind playing on it at all. need a good server like that again
help me
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I've never played minecraft on a server online, only LAN, what was it like? :o
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

it was a wild ride tbh. everyone was younger and immature. at one point i accidentally invited people who were mods on a server i modded and they griefed everything, but i think CC cleaned that up for us at one point too. im surprised everything that was done with this given it was an unmodded server. i think if we made a new server with the same collection of people that were on the old one, plus a few newer people, it'd be really fun.
help me
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Pumpkinium wrote:im surprised everything that was done with this given it was an unmodded server.
Speaking of mods, those would be pretty neat too. I'd say go with Tekkit, it adds a lot of depth and it also doesn't force any gameplay elements onto people who just wanna play normally.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

Pufflehugs wrote:*post*
ah yeah id remember tekkit. unfortunately when it comes to modded minecraft, i like having like 100 mods because im weird and like a clusterbomb of nonsense on me all at once.

but i wouldnt mind having a small modpack too
help me
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Pumpkinium wrote:ah yeah id remember tekkit. unfortunately when it comes to modded minecraft, i like having like 100 mods because im weird and like a clusterbomb of nonsense on me all at once.

but i wouldnt mind having a small modpack too
Other mods would be kind of neat too, but Tekkit would probably be more convenient because you could just use the Tekkit launcher instead of downloading modpacks and installing them. I wouldn't be too opposed to it, but some people probably wouldn't be too keen on doing that.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

^actually, tekkit is a part of a launcher called technic, which hosts a WHOLE LOT of different modpacks that are easy to install just like tekkit which is nice
help me
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

I never figured out how to get custom modpacks on the Technic launcher (I usually just call it the Tekkit Launcher because it's easier), and with this I had assumed a custom modpack would be put in place.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

I'd totally be down for a new Minecraft server like the old CI one. I wouldn't be a good host for it anymore though since my internet is just plain not up to snuff even in the best of times.

I can help with setting it up though.
Would Triert be allowed on?
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

i'd be down for that
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

as hilarious as that would be, i don't think we should allow triert on if we did get a server up and running
help me
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

I have two ideas that come to mind:

The first is that since I have the seed for the CI world, I can regenerate it, copy the island, and paste it into an newer version of Minecraft. The Island will be the same as it was when it was first generated, but everything off will be different! It would be a fresh start in a familiar landscape.

The second is that the Abandoned CI world could be hosted, and we could all clean up the island; either demolish the old crumbling buildings to build new ones, or refurbish them. It'd be kind of symbolic this way, seeing how some players could be playing in this world for the first time in years. The downside to this is that the landscape off the island would be the same until there'd be cutoffs due to new chunks generating against the old 1.1 and 1.2 ones.

And course, there's also the secret third option where the old world is hosted with everything intact. The downside to this is that there wouldn't be as much room for the new, at least not on the island.

Hmm... perhaps all of these can be fulfilled at once with the multiverse plugin? Maybe have the server themed around time. Have the untouched Island world be the past (which can be rewritten), have the island world with all the buildings intact be the present, and the abandoned island world be the future. What do y'all think?
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

^i like that idea assuming the warps/multi plugin is fairly recently updated. we need to find someone capable of hosting a server or buying a server host.

anyone know anybody/willing to do it yourself?
help me
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

We'd first need to settle on a version, and whether it would be vanilla or modded. Bukkit plugins from my experience seem to work well regardless of version with a few exceptions (anyone remember mobdisguise). I know that there's a version of craftbukkit for tekkit at least, so I'm fairly confident that we're not limited to vanilla. After that, I'll worry about getting the server set up. I can send it to whoever, preferably someone with a static IP and who can keep the server running nonstop and can do semi-frequent checks.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Pumpkinium »

i think itd be best to do unmodded, and the version is just the most recent that can support all the good plugins (multiverse, bukkit, etc)
help me
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Alright, I think that's all I need to know. I'll get started almost right away.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Even without mods, having a CI Minecraft server sounds great. I didn't actually expect it to ever happen again.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

I'm currently in the process of importing the island into a new world. It's more of a pain than I though it'd be, mainly becuase 1.9 and 1.10 is complete garbage at rendering nearby chunks for some reason.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

1.8 is better, maybe use that one?
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

I was just now thinking about doing that to be honest. I'd rather not do that unless that's absolutely necessary though. Right now I'm struggling with compatibility issues with multiverse. If I end up not being able to use it in this version, then I guess I won't have a choice then. Hopefully using 1.8 won't deter people.

Edit: Okay I'm boned. None of the multiverse portal plugins work right. I guess I have to downgrade. Dammit.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

A large amount of servers still operate on 1.8, so it shouldn't deter people.