Chao Island Sonic R Tournament | 5/8 Participants

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Chao Island Sonic R Tournament | 5/8 Participants

Post by Sable »

Welcome to the Chao Island Sonic R Tournament!

Prerequisites:
  • You must have an NTSC-U ISO of Sonic Gems Collection. (MD5: F72B3B462E3C26A2D3A9FBBADAF79C6E)
    Although I cannot link to this on Chao Island itself, check the pinned message in the tournament Discord.
    (Alternatively, you can dump your own disc using Wii software such as CleanRip.)
  • You must have a custom build of Dolphin 5.0, specially configured for Netplay. Download provided by Anther's Ladder.
    (The emulator is also linked in the pinned message in the tournament Discord.)
  • Your computer must be capable of emulating Sonic R between 25-30 FPS under the Direct3D 11 backend at most times.
    Minor and/or infrequent drops are considered to be acceptable.
  • You must have around 1Mbps or more download and upload speed to ensure smooth netplay. Check at Speedtest.net.
Rules:
  • Super Sonic is banned due to his unfair top speed and high acceleration.
  • Out-of-bounds glitches are banned.
  • Weather must be set to Clear.
  • Races are best of 3. (Best of 5 in finals.)
  • Courses are decided through mutual agreement. Radiant Emerald is discouraged due to its bias towards characters with high top speeds, but it is not banned.
  • Tournament is single-elimination.
  • Players must be present in the Discord on the day of the tournament.
  • In the event of emulator desync, a rematch is permitted.
Signup:
Matchmaking Tutorial:
Spoiler:
  • Download this Memory Card file for Dolphin.
  • Open the emulator. If it crashes, install this Visual C++ redistributable (x64 version).
  • Set your default games directory by clicking the message in Dolphin's main window.
  • Click "Config" in the top bar.
  • Click the "GameCube" tab.
  • Under "Device Settings", select "Memory Card" for Slot A.
  • Click the ... button and select the downloaded Memory Card file.
  • Click "OK".
  • Click "Graphics" in the top bar.
  • Under "Basic", select "Direct3D 11" for Backend.
  • Click "OK".
  • Click "Controllers" in the top bar.
  • Under "GameCube Controllers", select "Standard Controller" for Port 1.
  • Click "Configure".
  • Setup your controls as necessary. (Most USB and Bluetooth controllers are supported, as well as keyboard and mouse.)
  • Click "OK" on both windows.
  • Click "Tools" on the status bar.
  • Click "Start NetPlay".
  • If you are the host of the match, click the "Host" tab. Select "SONIC GEMS COLLECTION (G2XE8P)" and click "Host".
  • Under "Players", click "Copy" next to Room ID to copy it.
  • Paste your copied Room ID to your opponent in the tournament Discord.
  • If you are not the host of the match, remain on the "Connect" tab.
  • Copy and paste your opponent's Room ID into the box labelled "Host Code" and click "Connect".
  • Once all players are present, click "Start" to open Sonic Gems Collection.
  • Continue to Sonic R and begin your match as usual. Be sure to go into the options to load the save file. (If there is slowdown or lag, increase the Pad Buffer as necessary. However, this may cause latency.)
Current Participants:
  • 1. Sable
    2. Racer T7 (reserved off-site due to being banned)
    3. JmTsHaW
    4. Vaporwave
    5. chaoadventures
Quick Links:
If anyone with good internet is willing to join as a third player to stream matches, let me know!
Last edited by Sable on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Always count your shuriken before you throw them.

Re: Chao Island Sonic R Tournament | 3/8 Participants

Post by IvoNinja »

There's no way I can do this without the internet, but that sounds cool.
Nobody is everywhere and everybody is nowhere.
SniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktEat your heart out EspioSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSnikt
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

If I could still see, I might just figure out Dolphin and Discord just to join. Loved playing the music-less PC version back in the XP days.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I might join, I have to check my college's internet speed again cause last time I tried to netplay PM there was some serious lag and framedropping, but is there, like, a Sonic R meta or tier list or something that I'm unaware of? Is there an actual playerbase for the game? Not to discredit the idea for the tourney, but it's not the most popular competitive game ever.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

as far as I'm aware there's not much of a competitive community for the game, I just thought it'd be fun
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

sank ar i'm coming sign me up cash money $$$$$$$$$
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Chao Island Sonic R Tournament | 4/8 Participants

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Isn't the tier list just:
Broken: Super Sonic
Good: Other Unlockable Characters
Decent: Most starting Characters
Bad: Amy

At the very least, I remember reading that the difference between the starting and unlockable halves of the roster are so drastic that the races to unlock the Robo-characters are only winnable because the computer takes a fixed path that is very unoptimal and ignores even the most obvious shortcuts.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Branching off on my previous question, how exactly will the netplay system work? From my experiences with Melee and Project M netplay, when it comes to games with unlockable characters that need to be unlocked to play fully, and since netplay and memory cards don't mesh together very well, there are specific states for the games that make them available. Is there an available save state or setting that unlocks everything on Sonic R?
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I'M IN

I'M IN

IN THE DINO SQUAD

Coincidentally, I was playing this game with Dolphin a few weeks ago and unlocked everything. I'm always disappointed in how easy it is.

That aside, I have some questions: What if I want to use a GameCube Controller with Dolphin? It's my favorite controller, so I'd prefer to know if I need to connect with a strange
method or just set my Controller 1 port as the Wii U Adapter or even resort to using a PS3 controller. I've never used Dolphin's netplay before, so I'm just wondering.

Also, just for the rules, I'm guessing you're aware of the "cheat" to allow two players to use the same character by pressing the L button. Is this allowed?
The lack of "costumes" or color variations on these duplicates makes it hard to tell who's who, but if someone mostly uses Sonic and is forced to use say, Metal Sonic who is very
different but the closest thing otherwise available, so that probably won't go too well for them, so what's the ruling on that?

And lastly, your list of participants skips a slot for a 7th person and jumps to 8.
Rajikaru wrote:Is there an available save state or setting that unlocks everything on Sonic R?
You have to load a save file manually each time you play (and manually save) so Sonic R should be pretty easy to get past that barrier, especially with a memory card file made for the tournament.
Just a guess that it works though.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: Chao Island Sonic R Tournament | 5/8 Participants

Post by Sable »

What if I want to use a GameCube Controller with Dolphin? It's my favorite controller, so I'd prefer to know if I need to connect with a strange
method or just set my Controller 1 port as the Wii U Adapter or even resort to using a PS3 controller. I've never used Dolphin's netplay before, so I'm just wondering.
Setting it up normally with the Wii U adapter will work fine. Also, the L button cheat is fine. Finally, I fixed the issue in the numbering.