Pikmin

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: canpaw but with my own email

Pikmin

Post by CanSteam »

From Wikipedia:

Pikmin (ピクミン Pikumin?) is a series of real-time strategy video games created by Shigeru Miyamoto and published by Nintendo. The games focus on directing a horde of plant-like creatures called Pikmin, which are used to collect items, destroy obstacles and fight giant monsters.

The series currently features three entries. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were both released for the GameCube and later ported to the Wii as New Play Control! titles and Pikmin 2 as a "Nintendo Selects" game. A third installment, Pikmin 3, was released for Wii U. A spin-off of the series was officially announced in a Nintendo Direct on September 1, 2016 due for release on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

I personally have only played Pikmin 3, and I love it. It's extremely fun, and I even went through the effort of doing a 0-death run.
is the pikmin in my avatar on something or...
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Re: Pikmin

Post by CitrusCat »

I've played all three games so far.

I've beaten both Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 3 100%, but I've never beaten the first Pikmin yet. Probably because I was a young kid when I originally played it, so I was stressed out by the 30-day time limit and was scared of pretty much every enemy. If I tried playing it again today, I'd definitely make a lot more progress (although I don't know if I'd actually be able to beat it 100%).

With Pikmin 2, I still played it even after completion, because I found it oddly satisfying to continue raising my Pikmin population as high as possible. It's just a shame you can't do the same with Pikmin 3...
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Citrus, and anyone else intimidated by playing through the first Pikmin:
On your first run, don't even worry. Die at the end if you need to (and it probably will happen if you go in blind.) The end scene anyway is still pretty great.

I played through Pikmin my first time (after my brother gave up on it a few years back, also due to stress from the 30 day limit) and I just let myself die at the end. I got something less than 25 parts. And my next play I beat it (on the 30th day.)
Anyway, Pikmin is one of the games I have played the most number of times (along with Fire Emblem 7 and Metroid Fusion.) I do not know how many times. I have gotten my time down to 10 days (and I have tried for 9 several times now, but I don't think it is for me.)

It took me many more years to get to playing Pikmin 2, which I also enjoy (but something about the simplicity and set day length of the first one really appeals to me.) Pikmin 2 days can go on forever, so it really loses the time crunch aspect that I love. But goes to show it is really just embracing a different style, which some people will prefer and others will not. Citrus is more for the freedom of Pikmin 2, I prefer the time crunch of 1.
I think Pikmin 3 took a good compromise route of not being brutal, but still having some time limit factor. Pikmin 3 was also my first main push to buy a Wii U.

I love the world of Pikmin, with having fun with the idea of a natural world with silly human remains, and the amazingly hilarious lifeforms that are present. I also love how the game itself is just EXTREME MANAGEMENT SKILLS! I have never done a 0 death run, nor do I plan to. They die for the greater good.

I am really looking forward to Pikmin 4, whenever it may eventually happen.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I played Pikmin 1 for a bit and then stopped. I should pick it back up sometime.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

In my opinion, Pikmin 2 was the best game in the series. I'm not really a fan of games with time limits, as it really restricts how much fun I can have in a game, especially since I'm the kind of guy who can play any game as if it was a free roamer. Pikmin 2 also introduced many great elements, like caves. The Purple and White Pikmin are also my personal favourite Pikmin types. It's really a shame that Pikmin 3 did away with caves and restricted Purples and Whites to the bonus modes, but I can see why they did it. Pikmin 4 will probably give Rock and Winged Pikmin the exact same treatment.
Spoiler:
ALSO PIKMIN 4 HAS BEEN "close to completion" FOR OVER A YEAR SO WHERE THE JOHN IS IT
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by CanSteam »

Didn't Miyamoto say that Pikmin 4 will be for the Switch?
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I don't know if it has been officially stated to be on the Switch, but at this point I think it is quite apparent that it will be. Wii U is pretty much done with game releases, and Pikmin 4 is supposed to be "soon" and has been for a while, so it seems like Switch is the way it will go.
Pufflehugs wrote:In my opinion, Pikmin 2 was the best game in the series. I'm not really a fan of games with time limits, as it really restricts how much fun I can have in a game, especially since I'm the kind of guy who can play any game as if it was a free roamer. Pikmin 2 also introduced many great elements, like caves.]
Mostly in agreement with what I was saying about 2; it has a different enough style from Pikmin 1 that it appeals to a different sense of enjoyment- free roaming for Puffle and for Citrus. I personally just preferred my sense of progress of minimizing days and the stress of day limits. Different kind of appeals.
CanSteam
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by CanSteam »

I like pikmin 3 because there's a time limit, but it's not enough of a time limit to be stressful(100 days worth of food provisions...) and the day limits aren't also too long. A friend not on here says Pikmin 2 is way longer than 1 and 3, which I would prefer, because now I can play pikmin 3 and beat it in about 24 real life hours(counting time where i'm sleeping and where i'm not playing the game) with all the fruits.

Sadly I can't play pikmin 2, as I only own 1 and 3, but trying to beat the game with all fruits as fast as possible, and learning new ways to multitask and seeing your multitasking progress go up is pretty fun. Pikmin death improvements are also cool, I had an over 550 decrease from my 1st to 2nd run of pikmin 3..

Edit: Also, mamkute, there was a case of a game called "Just Dance 2017" releasing on the Wii in late 2016..
Anything's possible.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Pikmin is one of the few titles my mother actually really liked, and she'd actually play it plenty. Most of the time it was because my youngest brother was really fascinated by it, and it gave her something to do with him while he was still very young. I've fallen out of the series, and barely even played the second and third ones, but I'm glad it exists. I mostly just wish there were more direct options for co-op or versus.

While I do think Pikmin 2 is great, the first game will sit in my heart next to the Gamecube Animal Crossing, because they both carry this weird air that I felt with plenty of early Gamecube titles as a child. There was just so much mystery to a somewhat creepy degree. It is a feeling I miss experiencing in games.

The 30 day limit is even less a problem when you learn how to collect certain parts faster or which parts you can skip. Though skipping parts is rarely a perk.

I also really love the bad ending for the original Pikmin. It is hard to expect.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui