NiGHTS: another abandoned SEGA franchise

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

NiGHTS: another abandoned SEGA franchise

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

As you can probably tell from my username and avatar, NiGHTS is one of my favorite video game characters. I've played both games in the franchise, and I love them for different reasons. I like the feel and overall gameplay of the original best, but I liked the level design of Journey of Dreams better. And it goes without mentioning that NiGHTS has one of the greatest main themes of all time. SEGA has a bad habit of releasing Sonic games and ignoring their other IPs, which makes me sad, but if Mania and Project 2017 are good, I won't be as sad.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: NiGHTS: another abandoned SEGA franchise

Post by Sable »

i love the first one to death, it's among my favorite games of all time. it has one of the best soundtracks to come out of sega in the 90s, the gameplay is ridiculously fluid and addictive for when it was released, and i'm totally in love with the art and atmosphere

my feelings on the second are complex, i don't hate it but i feel like it's a betrayal of what nights originally was
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

i bought my saturn a year or so ago just because of nights
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Hardly abandoned! I too was a NiGHTS fan and also had a NiGHTS fansite (which didn't grow as well as this one!). My original screenname that birthed Chao Island on the first SA2 Chao BBS was NiGHTS (ID: 000999)
Sega revisited the franchise to make Journey of Dreams (which personally I didn't like at all) and then even went a step further which no one expected and made a HD remake! Well IMO the HD version is a bit off but the "Saturn Mode" is perfect.

Compare this to the other (Sonic Team) franchise Burning Rangers... I would love to see that!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Rox64
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's OK

Post by Rox64 »

Such a great game, fated to be reduced to cameos. Come now, SEGA, we all know there's a good market for a new NiGHTS game. You wouldn't even need to try and connect it narrative-wise to the preceding two games. It's a dream. Those are almost never properly connected to each other.
Also, no mention of the Nightopians? Ya know, the predecessor to Chao? I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet. I myself haven't experimented with the system much- to be blunt, interacting with them in a way that doesn't involve murdering them is a huge pain- but it's a very interesting system, especially for a Sega Saturn game.
Because Roxes 1-62 died from failure to absorb the correct levels of sarcasm and weirdness.
Don't ask about Rox63. Just don't.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

Rox64 wrote: Also, no mention of the Nightopians? Ya know, the predecessor to Chao? I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet. I myself haven't experimented with the system much- to be blunt, interacting with them in a way that doesn't involve murdering them is a huge pain- but it's a very interesting system, especially for a Sega Saturn game.
I've tried experimenting with the Nightopians myself. In the first game, I accidentally bred a Mepian (I'm not sure how I did it, but it happened in Soft Museum) I know this because I got an achievement for it. But I mostly wind up killing them too.It's even weirder with Journey of Dreams, because when you Paraloop the Nightopians, they are taken to My Dream. When I go there, they all start to run away, because it's impossible to Paraloop them and not touch them first, which counts as hitting. Even more bizarre is the fact that every time I enter a level, even for the first time, the Nightopians run away. I will always appreciate them for inspiring Chao, though.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

the nightopian system is difficult to understand at first but it's actually quite simple, it's cool but it's mostly cosmetic and has nothing near the depth of chao raising sadly (in the first game at least)