Esports is cancer and so is this stuff too

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Esports is cancer and so is this stuff too

Post by Triert »

It was a joke this time.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Triert wrote:Oh boy, and here I was wondering if I would ever have a reason to bring up Smogon of all people into the conversation.
do you have any idea how much I hate smogon's rulesets and the fact they practically control the entirety of pokemon showdown's playable formats

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

op is crying because he can't git gud and win esports tournaments that give out prizes and money.
help me
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Triert wrote:No, I said I like a power vacuum.

You know what made things interesting before? Player made content, we still have that, and hell, the creation of MOBA's is thanks to a custom mod on one of blizzards own games. That's how people avoided staleness, all buffs and nerfs do is as said before, gods and garbage. A buff to one character can be a hard nerf to another from the existence of the buff. Sure, you can find joy in such a thing if you can. But the culture of people calling for nerfs to other players they hate is a neverending one. Anyway, gods and garbage are caused by overzealous patching and are not really inherent in patching itself.

What does your last sentence mean, I don't think it was explained well.
My bad. I misread.

It's true that esports games tend to not have user-generated content, but esports doesn't whole-heartedly prevent it. Look at DOTA2 -- it has a lot of user-generated stuff. The difference you're seeing is primarily in Blizzard's focus.

The third statement is asking why you're talking about how casualization kills a fanbase in a rant about esports.
EvilPinkamina wrote:Melee is an awful example. The "answer" to Melee is Fox but the players winning tournaments tend to be Peach/Puff players.
Remember, Fox as the answer started as an idea based on his theoretical top performance and turned into a joke. His dominance was a result of the players going hard and figuring out what all he can do, but they also discovered his weaknesses. Hence the Puff/Peach dominance. I'm not saying the game is completely answered or that the meta will never change again, but that it does so at a rate much slower than games with patches do.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

@Pumpkinium
I have a handicap right now with worsening motor skills, my reaction time worsened among other things is worse and I'm stuck like this until november. But why, why even show up here just to dump that kind of garbage.

The grapes are sweet, but I'm not the only fox trying to get them. The path to them is full of other foxes who constantly bite eachother in the ankles, and sometimes you find a group of foxes working together to get the grapes.

You know every single time we bring up a Fox in this topic I feel like we're empowering Nano.

@Chaos
Cosmetics, it has a lot of user created cosmetics. Team Fortress 2 has unique and custom servers, that's more along the line of user created content I was going for here. Both are played competitively but I'd feel more at home in TF2 dicking around.

Also, I brought it up to say gaming itself has been casualized. Not in a sense of difficulty mind you, the comparison was meant to say casualization in the exact sense it was brought up in. Casualization of the franchise.
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I stand corrected
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Chaos the Light Chao wrote:
EvilPinkamina wrote:Melee is an awful example. The "answer" to Melee is Fox but the players winning tournaments tend to be Peach/Puff players.
Remember, Fox as the answer started as an idea based on his theoretical top performance and turned into a joke. His dominance was a result of the players going hard and figuring out what all he can do, but they also discovered his weaknesses. Hence the Puff/Peach dominance. I'm not saying the game is completely answered or that the meta will never change again, but that it does so at a rate much slower than games with patches do.
Puff/Peach aren't even dominating characters. Hungrybox is the only puff at top level and Armada is the only peach. The meta def changes slower than if a game gets patched, but on the other hand meta shifts dominated by patches are rarely ever genuine. Meta shifts caused by patches rarely act as "well this is a powerful strategy, here's a way to counter it" and crutches heavily on "THIS IS A POWERFUL STRATEGY GET ALL THE FREELO YOU CAN BEFORE IT GETS NERFED" which builds a culture of "waah this is op nerf/this is up buff."
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

TF you mean I'm not a dominating character?
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Go back to being unfunny in threads that aren't actual discussions.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

What he said.

@Pink
What he said too.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Ah yes, i forgot this thread about Triert sucking at Overwatch is a very srs business.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

die bich, and note the kind of fps i'm playing this game at and then tell me i didn't put a genuine effort to playing this game to a point where I get to have a stake in complaining about it.

(the stupid god damn genji stole my potg by swift striking through people when i was death blossiming, i had at least two potg worthy death blossoms in that match **** you genji player i hate you give me back my potg)

Now responding seriously, there are other heroes to play yes. But I've also been with Blizzard longer than the rest of you overwatch greenhorns here too (minus Tsui). The way they handle nerfing and buffing isn't pleasant. I'm turbobuttmad about Roadhog because of the limbo blizz is putting him in but that doesn't mean he was the only character I ever seriously thought about maining, that was Junkrat. Then I learned to love soldier 76, but ultimately I'm happy to tank or support and let other people get the kills if it means the team is seriously putting in an effort.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Blizzard was dope at balance back during Wings of Liberty. Then Hearthstone came along and they tried to implement the "casual but also competitive" into every game and they ****** it.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

You know what would make things better?

Allow custom game modes to dial back on patches for anything that won't cause a major glitch in the game. So that way you could rollback all the way to when widowmakers butt would get bigger when you scope in for instance, or D.va before she lost her armor.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Those would unfortunately still cause major glitches. It's the way updating a game works.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

when are we going to talk about the real problems plaguing competitive gaming???

Bunelody
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Bunelody »

>cancer
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Bunelody wrote:>cancer

Can I help you
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

there should be a tournament you win by being a disgruntled gamer, and whoever has the best nerdy meltdown wins
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

If you don't have anything to contribute except that you might as well have posted nothing at all.

Your rants on, well, everything you have a giant chip on your shoulder is one thing. But screw off if you're going to make us your joke.
Bunelody
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Bunelody »

Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

actually i was specifically ribbing just you

just being deadpan and making commentary on how some gamers overestimate how much developers actually consider them helpful, especially if their complaint isn't even coherent or deliberately contrary to how things have to work. no one else invested in esports i know or in this topic has a like emotional meltdown over their complaints
Last edited by Lamby on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

This topic wouldn't be even half as good as it is if Triert and Rajikaru didn't take it so seriously.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

What drives you to openly spell out how much you're trying to be a catty drama queen?

@Puffle
It's okay Puffle, I know you're probably seeking attention even if it's bad or negative.