GTA Modding Scene has been hit with a C&D

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Re: GTA Modding Scene has been hit with a C&D

Post by Lamby »

yes and no

it's a step toward better consumer rights, but is really about third party businesses repairing or altering a product for resale and not being sued for doing so through a consumer contact agreement or something like Lexmark does. video games must still be in this "can a consumer actually 100% own it if online is in question" limbo and regardless of mods' purpose, they just have to make the argument they are or could be used as detriment to online play i guess

idk exactly, this is just me trying to corroborate what i read and apply it; legal isn't my forte. also not saying "because it's legal you should get over it" i'm just looking at it through the ruling's lens. we gotta ways to go as far as individual consumer rights, unfortunately.

i know, amazing, i can still be serious once in a while, just breathe this isn't a dream...
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Also lets be honest a modder probably can't afford to fight against a company the size of take 2. The US legal system only really works if you have the money to use it, and typically people creating software for free can't afford to fight a game publisher.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

yeah quite true
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Wow, the Supreme Court ruling was even more limited than I thought(I was pretty sure it only covered hardware, but I thought it would at least cover things like third party overclock mods and custom case work and not just third party repair).

Of course, at least in the US, it doesn't help that the Constitution more or less gave Congress a blank check to set IP law and that no one with the authority to do so hasn't declared that lifetime + 70 hardly sounds like "limited time".