3D Chao WIP

Share your creativity! Post your artwork, comics, movies, and related media here. Share your creations or comment on/help others with theirs!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: ayylmao

3D Chao WIP

Post by dustyoni »

Hi everyone! I dabbled in 3D during college (back when I was majoring Game Art), and I've wanted to get back into it.
So I installed Blender, since it's free and seems to be a pretty easy program.
While I was most used to Mudbox, we'll see what happens.

I've never used Blender before today.
At about 5 hours since installation and messing around with the help of various guides, I have this so far.
(Keep in mind this isn't 5 hours of dedicated work, I get preoccupied a lot, etc. I also haven't ever been GOOD at this so bear with me!)

I am using cinnamel's reference sheet, from deviantart.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Reference ... -192799873

If anyone has any tips on how to make this easier on myself, feel free to share!
Also if you'd like to check out my 2D art, feel free to do so!
http://cystematic.deviantart.com/

Some questions I have are;
-Should I made each body part separate objects? (Head, eye x2, ball, body, arm x2, leg x2, tail, wing x2)
-Any good simple rigging guides you can recommend? (I might want to bring this in SecondLife for a personal avatar, I'm not sure.)
-Any idea on how to do a basic blink animation if I make the eyes their own object(s)? Any links?
-I want to keep this simple and cute so is a lower poly count the way to go (maybe even a bit retro)?

:cry: Thanks for any help and even for stopping by.
It would be a big dream of mine to make a downloadable Chao game that's basically like Tamagotchi lmao.
Or Tiny Chao Garden but lowpoly/cute 3D?

**EDIT**
I'm going to post progress pics here in my original post for the sake of ease.

Okay so I finally finished roughing out the general head shape...

Then I made an eye, duplicated and mirrored.
Little emoteball thingy was added. Just a sphere lmao.

:walkto:

Last edited by dustyoni on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:darkblink: :blink: :heroblink:
party time
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: 3D Chao WIP

Post by chaoadventures »

I remember I tried Blender one time. I closed it immediately because it opened up with a 3D box in the middle, then I freaked out and pulled a Firefox.
I also had a weak computer at the time, so I didn't even think about opening it back up. Closest I've done to 3D work since then was making character textures for SA2.

Anywho, I applaud you for making it past the probably low poly box that much of a chao in one day.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

Okay, so I more of less just finished a basic head with no facial pieces or emote.
Well, I didn't finish it or anything but you know what I mean.

chaoadventures wrote:I remember I tried Blender one time. I closed it immediately because it opened up with a 3D box in the middle, then I freaked out and pulled a Firefox.
I also had a weak computer at the time, so I didn't even think about opening it back up. Closest I've done to 3D work since then was making character textures for SA2.

Anywho, I applaud you for making it past the probably low poly box that much of a chao in one day.
I was very tempted to just close it, honestly. But I've had the itch.

I've had a bad computer up until this year, hubs got me a computer I can actually game and art with!

But, thank you for the support! Yeah I think I'm past low poly with even just the head...
party time
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

Stopping here for tonight! Going to mess with textures tomorrow.
Maybe even start the body. Who knows??
:no:
party time
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I can't do Blender, at all, so congrats on getting that far, seriously. I've only used a really old trial version of Metasequoia. I can't even figure out how to use the Grease Pencil in Blender to storyboard :no:

I remember seeing a rigging guide for imported WoW models but I don't know how relevant it would be here.

Let me know how you do the textures, I've been interested in doing textures for models but how I understand it, it's like making a papercraft and unfolding it and painting it and putting it back together and it's so weird, I can't wrap my head around it oAo;;
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Last time I tried Blender, the learning curve for even the simplest things was a major and instant turn-off. Granted, that was like a decade ago, so maybe usability has improved drastically in that time.

That said, the 3D modeling programs I'm most familiar with are the free version of Metasequoia and FreeCAD, though the latter is a solid modeling program better suited for 3D printing than graphical work for 3D computer games.

Also, low-poly is a relative term.

Sorry I can't offer any critique on your actual work.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

A friend made me get blender but I freaked out cause everything seemed to complicated. Then got SFM :D
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

Okay so after some feedback from my husband and my older brother who both do 3D modeling, I'm not going to texture this today.
Instead any time I put into this today will be spent on fixing the poly flow.
I need to seriously fix these wonky parts and try to avoid using tris, and focus on how it all goes together.
Even at a lower poly count it needs to look clean. So I'm going to focus on fixing harsh 'angles' and fixing up curves, etc.

Ideally I want this to be simple enough that I can work it into a Hero and Dark head.
So I won't have to do them from scratch.

I have a tendency to be short tempered and give up easy so, WE WILL SEE. :stomp:

I'd really like to be able to export this little guy (or these little guys...) into a program for people to use?
Model wise. For like, art, or even as an in game model?
If anyone is interested in collabing with me in some way regarding these models, hmu!!
It would also be nice to do some art for CI... :sway:

Tsui wrote:I can't do Blender, at all, so congrats on getting that far, seriously. I've only used a really old trial version of Metasequoia. I can't even figure out how to use the Grease Pencil in Blender to storyboard :no:

I remember seeing a rigging guide for imported WoW models but I don't know how relevant it would be here.

Let me know how you do the textures, I've been interested in doing textures for models but how I understand it, it's like making a papercraft and unfolding it and painting it and putting it back together and it's so weird, I can't wrap my head around it oAo;;
I've used Maya, Mudbox, and 3DS Max, I think in college. Having some experience to 3D in general really helped.
I've barely touched on rigging. So anything at this point is p helpful!

Yeah, in my experience you have to 'unwrap' your objects--like a papercraft! Just like you said. :sway:
I do my texture work in Photoshop.
The 3D program will put it on and take it off for you, to keep it short hahahah.
I tried to figure out how to export my texture in Blender last night but kept getting empty files?
I'll have to figure that out soon.

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Last time I tried Blender, the learning curve for even the simplest things was a major and instant turn-off. Granted, that was like a decade ago, so maybe usability has improved drastically in that time.

That said, the 3D modeling programs I'm most familiar with are the free version of Metasequoia and FreeCAD, though the latter is a solid modeling program better suited for 3D printing than graphical work for 3D computer games.

Also, low-poly is a relative term.

Sorry I can't offer any critique on your actual work.
Once you learn the basic hotkeys/shortcuts and how everything generally works, it's usually a matter of Googling any issues you run into.
I watched about 5 episodes of one basics tutorial for the program and was able to do enough with Google's help.
BUT learning new programs is always a chore--I hate it. Always have!!
Given it was so long ago, you might have an easier time learning it now, like you said.
Blender is free. :wink:

I wanted a really cute low poly style Chao at first, but then it just kind of mutated into what I have here. :no:
I might try to lower the count today, we'll see!
Don't worry about the 'critique' thing. Just popping in to say 'hay' is enough to keep me going! Thanks!!

roaxes wrote:A friend made me get blender but I freaked out cause everything seemed to complicated. Then got SFM :D
I have 0 experience in SFM actually! :thinking:
Can you use it for scratch 3D modeling or is it all animating pre-rigged and done models??
Last edited by dustyoni on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
party time
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

:cry:
party time
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

This looks really good so far, Dusty! I've dabbled in 3D before myself, so I know how tricky it can be.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
dustyoni
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by dustyoni »

TheEndIsNearUs wrote:This looks really good so far, Dusty! I've dabbled in 3D before myself, so I know how tricky it can be.
Aw thank you!
I decided after talking with my older brother about the poly flow that I am going to put this one aside for now and start over on a new one.
It looks okay but it's not going to be very practical in the end or very well cleaned up.
3D is pretty tricky!!
party time
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

dustyoni wrote:
roaxes wrote:A friend made me get blender but I freaked out cause everything seemed to complicated. Then got SFM :D
I have 0 experience in SFM actually! :thinking:
Can you use it for scratch 3D modeling or is it all animating pre-rigged and done models??
Well scratch models most people use blender to make new ones and add it on it xD SFM just gives you tons of premade models in the steam workshop people make. I think people also use 'hammer' that comes with SFM which mostly involve ripping models from other games. There's a chao model actually! :D
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Yimoo
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Yimoo »

Wow,this looks very good! Keep up the good work.0w0 :herosway: