A few general questions

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
RupertTheLegend
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

A few general questions

Post by RupertTheLegend »

A few questions i have since I can't find them through searches
1. Is the melon hat in sa1 and/or sa2? I can't find it on the wiki.
2. Can the character chao (tails, knuckles, amy) be turned into a different form of chao like chaos, dark, or hero etc. and are they immortal or not?
3. For making any two-tone chao you just breed with your starter normal chao right?
4. What level should my stats be to be able to best all races and karate difficulties with one chao?
:no:
DylanSmithies
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: "I'll slam dunk it in there!"

Re: A few general questions

Post by DylanSmithies »

Well I think I could answer some of these.

1. I know for sure the melon hat is in the DX and Battle ports of the game- are you talking about the Dreamcast originals? That I'm unsure about.
2. Character Chao are immortal, they are basically Chaos Chao, just with different models. They can't breed, take animal parts, die, etc.
3. Yep! For any two-tone just breed the color you want with a normal Chao. For example for a Yellow two-tone: breed a normal Chao and a Yellow monotone Chao!

Hope this helped! :chaohappy:
DylanSmithies
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by DylanSmithies »

Oops forgot about number 4, haha.

Well it really depends on your stat grades, I had a Chao once with pretty mediocre grades for his stats and I beefed him up to level 99 in everything (besides stamina) and it was pretty tough for him in some of the last races and karate tournaments. I'd say try to get the best that you can!
RupertTheLegend
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

So stat grades or more important than the actual level of the stat? I mean both are imprtant but grade A 99 run would always be better than grade B 99 run?
DylanSmithies
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by DylanSmithies »

Yep, just like you said it. A Chao with A rank Run, for example, with usually always be faster than a Chao with B rank Run.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

#4: Is technical. If your Grades are C or higher you should be able to beat the Races and Karate eventually.

But to be extremely technical about it, both Grades and Level don't actually matter. What matters is the number of stat points you have.

Which goes up every time you level up, and the higher your grades, the higher (in general) the number goes up.

Theoretically, you could have chao with different grades at different levels with around the same amount of stat points. I'm not quite sure on how far you could take this though.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
RupertTheLegend
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

So where stat grades and levels are good what ultimately will determine the "strength" of a stat is the number and how high i get that correct? So the number is what i should focus on not the level.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Yep.

The number of stat points is the actual strength. Grades are how high they might go every time you level up. Level is how many times you can continue to raise them.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
RupertTheLegend
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Another question, i just read up on chao stat grades, is an S grade in something always guaranteed when breeding so say a parent chao has S in something will that S always be passed down?
DylanSmithies
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by DylanSmithies »

Stat grades can be passed down from either parent, from what I understand at least.

So say parent Chao 1 has an S grade in run and parent Chao 2 has a C grade in run, for example. The offspring Chao has a 50-50 chance of receiving either one from either side, so it could have an S or C.

Like I said, that's from my own understanding, I may be wrong but I feel like that's correct.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

A Chao inherits one allele for each stat grade from each parent, and it's then a 50/50 chance which allele determines the newborn's actual grade.

Where it gets somewhat complicated is that there are 3 values a chao can pass to it's children for each stat grade: the two alleles it inherited, and the allele for it's current stat grade.

Looking at this a bit more formally, let's say a Chao stat grade is stored as three values:
gradeSelf, the Chao's actual stat grade.
gradeMother, the stat grade inherited from one parent.
gradeFather, the stat grade inherited from the other parent.

For store bought Chao, dice are rolled, and all three are set to the value of the roll. For bred chao, however:
gradeMother is taken at random from the three values of one parent.
gradeFather is taken at random from the three values of the other parent.
gradeSelf is taken at random from the two values inherited from the parents.

gradeMother and gradeFather are immutable and will never change unless you hack the chao, but gradeSelf improves by one grade every time the Chao evolves into the corresponding type.

Adding all this up, if you take a store bought Chao that started with an E-rank, reincarnated it until it had an S-rank, and then bred it, it would have a 2/3 chance of passing on the E-rank it started with and only a 1/3 chance of passing on the S-rank it currently has.

By comparison, a store bought Chao that started with an S-rank is guaranteed to pass on it's S-rank, and a bred chao that starts with an S-rank has at least a 2/3 chance of passing on the S-rank.

Store bought chao can never pass on grades worse than the grades they started with and can never pass on grades better than the grades they currently have, but bred chao can be carriers for grades worse than the ones they started with or better than the ones they currently have.

As such, an All-S chao isn't yet genetically "perfect" as long as it has the potential to pass down non-S ranks.

Another interesting note is that you could actually have a pair of all-E chao(who are actually as rare as all-S chao and probably rarer since they aren't desirable like All-S Chao) that actually have a small chance of producing a chao that is not only All-S, but breeds true for all-S, though this chance is lower than getting an All-S Chao from the market(assuming the game doesn't put restrictions on store bought chao grades).
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

DylanSmithies wrote:1. I know for sure the melon hat is in the DX and Battle ports of the game- are you talking about the Dreamcast originals? That I'm unsure about.
The original Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast had no headgear options, and while Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast may have had the option to put Eggshells on a Chao's head, I think Eggshells disappear after you leave the garden, so they might not stay on the Chao's head.
DylanSmithies wrote:3. Yep! For any two-tone just breed the color you want with a normal Chao. For example for a Yellow two-tone: breed a normal Chao and a Yellow monotone Chao!
This depends on which version is being played. If it is the Gamecube versions or the earlier Sonic Adventure DX port to PC, then it should work. To my knowledge, all later ports have either removed this feature or made its rarity higher.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui