How did this Chao end up this way?

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
shofra
Egg
Egg

How did this Chao end up this way?

Post by shofra »

This is on the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2. I don't remember raising any of the chao on this file--I was pretty young at the time--but I do remember loading the game up once back in 2005/2006 to find this little guy...

That's the picture I took back then, on an old digital camera. I tried looking around for info, but I never found anything, and I was too shy back then to try going to a forum like this one. I kept the picture around because it was strange, and I hoard a lot of old files anyways.

So today I hooked up the old Dreamcast and thought I'd check out some of my old Sonic data. I'd completely forgotten the chao was on this version of the game (for some reason I assumed it'd been a one time bit of weirdness on some GC memory card) and was surprised to find the little guy still here and still looking just like it did back then.

Image Image

As you can see, it looks like a first evolution neutral/normal chao, but the front of it's belly is like a dark chao. The back of the torso goes back to blue, with no feet and a squiggle tail/butt. No wings either, thanks to the bat it must've been given, although I'm curious what they'd be.

I've kept my eye out for the past decade, and I tried googling and looking around a bit just now, but I still haven't seen any chao like this one out there. I haven't really raised chao in a decade though either, besides a file I just started on SA2B (GC) that I was using to show to some friends, so it's possible this is actually well documented and I just don't know the right thing to look for. Either way, if anybody could explain what the deal is with this chao, I'd love to finally have this mystery solved!
Sorry in advance if it really is something I should've found on my own and couldn't, eheh. :herosway:
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: How did this Chao end up this way?

Post by Crazo3077 »

My best guess is that someone used Chao Editor 2 to make this Chao. I have only been able to actually get it to work once or twice, but if I remember correctly, it was able to do extreme changes like this. If you give the Chao animals that will reveal its arms and legs, you might find that the arms and legs also don't match.

Its a weird feature, especially since we haven't seen anything like it in any mods since.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
shofra
Egg
Egg

Re: How did this Chao end up this way?

Post by shofra »

Ah, I see...I didn't think we ever had access to this sort of thing, but it's totally possible my older brother figured it out and played with it when I wasn't around. I thought putting/editing files on a VMU was complicated, but now that I'm really looking it up, it seems like it's completely within the realm of possibility for a teenager in 2001.

Thanks for answering my question! Now I'm tempted to try out the editor and see if I can recreate the chao myself. I don't think the chao itself would be interesting within the game mechanics (it's definitely just a neutral chao with a strange body, the dark garden isn't even unlocked) but then I'd know for sure how it was made. Maybe when I finally replace those old VMU batteries...