Channel Tree News - Goodbye

Forum games such as "corrupt a wish" and "rate the above poster" can be played in this forum.
This is also the area for casual chat topics.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Channel Tree News - Goodbye

Post by Triert »

Lie of the year 2014

"We are not jack thompson, we don't want to take your games."

Credit to Pink for the title.

Welcome to the catch all topic for things that I would have made topics, turned into simple posts.

Let's start with something simple, point, and counterpoint.

Point Presented
Spoiler:
The first woman is a real human being. She controls her own body and has her own personality. She has control over her own actions and can make autonomous decisions in her life. She also has to directly deal with the people around her and the bigotry, stereotyping and harassment that she is exposed to. She is real, she has emotions, she has thoughts, and she has rights.

The second woman is fictional. She was created by other people who exert full control over her body, appearance and actions. Her sole purpose is to be literally bought and sold for the entertainment of an audience. She cannot make her own decisions, she cannot control her own body and she is not real. She is not responsible for her behavior or appearance: She is the product of the environment that she was created in.

The first woman, by virtue of being a human being who identifies with the feminist movement and acts in accordance to those beliefs, is therefore a feminist. She is actively participating in feminism and is choosing to dress herself in a manner of protest that best demonstrates that she alone controls her body, and that no others have a right to access her body without her consent. She is a multi-faceted person who has agency, and part of that agency includes the ability to look sexy while refusing to consent to her own dehumanization. Her actions are not only one small part of what makes her a person, but she is also participating within a cultural trend of protesting rape culture.

The second woman, because she is not autonomous and was designed by a series of outsiders, is sexist because she is the passive product of sexist content creators. She exists as an ornament. Her clothes were chosen as fan service so that she can be sexually available and gratifying at all times, most likely for straight male gamers. Her erotic appearance has little functional purpose other than to please an audience. And since she exists within an industry that is consistently criticized for ostracizing female participants and creating a large gap between the depictions of male and female characters, her appearance is simply one detail within a much larger array of sexist problems.

Get it?
Point 1. Actually, the only part I understand from this person is that the character on the right comes from a series of games called Metal Gear Solid, one that has catered to women and has been consumed en mass by them for yaoi fuel. A series also known for it's own male fanservice with the direction taken to their males.

Point 2. The person is attempting to push their new conservative agenda as to how women look in video games by spreading this. Previously, such characters were put into question as "not family friendly" whereas today they are called "sexist" with no regard for artistic freedom. Far Cry 4, being as awfully radically leftist as it is, still has the freedom to be so.

Point 3. I would like to look into Gaijin Goomba's take on Japanese Sexualization in video games. (Potential Language Warning) "Unlike the US however, they have a far less strict outlook on the topic when it comes to the media, gag humor, and their personal opinions." His take on Japanese culture is that it is more open with their own sexuality.

The person inadvertently is imposing culturally imperialistic beliefs under the guise of equality. Much like Bayonetta 2, of who many women are glad to see, is a victim of such cultural imperialism imposed upon by western feminists who just don't understand the simple idea that not everyone in the world thinks the same way they do.

Point 4. "The second woman, because she is not autonomous and was designed by a series of outsiders." If this person had taken the time to look up the character on the right, they would know that the character was not designed by a series of outsiders, but motion captured.

Point 5. "And since she exists within an industry that is consistently criticized for ostracizing female participants and creating a large gap between the depictions of male and female characters, her appearance is simply one detail within a much larger array of sexist problems."

If this person knew anything about the current climate of the video game media, they would know that because of a large amount of corruption uncovered by GamerGate shows that much of the "ostracizing of female participants" comes from the amount of corruption discovered within them. The industry itself has had women within it from day one, and when a woman designed a woman as a power fantasy who was unashamed of her sexuality, it had been feminists who were the first one to complain about her appearance. Not only that, recently when a woman attempting to create a game she came under fire for her support for gamergate, which in turn lead to an attempt at a boycott that was countered by the movement.

So yes, there is ostracizing of women, but it's not coming from the place these people try to say it does.
Last edited by Triert on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 am, edited 23 times in total.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Re: Channel Tree News

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I find it weird that, with bayonetta 2, people take American ideals to it and claim it forces ideals that aren't really relevant in Japanese culture.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Part of the reason a common complaint against these people is that they're incredibly american centric.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'm not familiar with any of the franchises named and I've long since come to the conclusion that gaming journalism is, by and large, more concerned with stirring up **** than disseminating knowledge, but that seems to hold true for journalism in general.

For what it's worth, among the few people I know in real-life I'd call friends, there are 2 female gamers and 1 male gamer, and neither of the females has ever complained about how women are portrayed in video games(And the first franchise that comes to mind that all four of us enjoy, Mortal Kombat, has it's fair share of scantily clad females. Granted the other guy and myself are the only ones in the group to have any interest in programming, through I doubt either of the girls would turn down an opportunity to put their artistic abilities towards the less technical aspects of game development. Also, my fiancée has her fair share of video game males she finds physically attractive(some of them from the same games as some of my favorite video game females).

As for Japan, while there's quite a bit of values dissonance between the US and Japan, especially when it comes to standards of censorship(I've lost count of how many games, anime, and manga I've seen either get bumped up an age rating or two or heavily censored to keep their original rating when crossing to this side of the Pacific), I think it worth noting that the Japanese are, on average, more sexually conservative than many Americans. The section of Japanese pop culture that's so popular in the English speaking world is only a small part of Japan's overall culture.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

^ Which didn't go without mention in the video.

Providing link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbSL2wv ... PVoHg#t=24
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Mood of post: Action Cat

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/1 ... ts-banned/
So why did a petition just get an R18+ game banned from Target and Kmart stores in Australia, on account of the game promoting violence against women?
Well, the radical left is doing what the radical right was doing last decade, getting games banned based on morals. Except now, the morals are "good" if it means women are protected against something as sinister as a video game.

This is what equality looks like everyone, it sounds like a good idea until social justice communists start seeing something bad happen to women and immediately have to press the censor button.

Well great, now they get a game banned because they have to enforce their beliefs onto other people. I mean, who does that?

Edit: Oh, and they want to get witch hunts running on the internet against anyone people deem a "harasser". http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/1 ... to-senate/

Edit2: http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2014 ... s-shelves/ I ask that people input their own opinions of the current status of video game censorship.

Which to the surprise of absolutely no one, Kotaku is defending.

https://archive.today/t1cpP

We know what these ******* do behind closed doors now, they should stop acting like they're saints.
Last edited by Triert on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Channel Tree News -Calling all Gamers-

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Since when does Australia even have an R18+ category? Last I heard, any game that couldn't get a 15+ rating or lower from Australia's ratings board was effectively banned and there were some downright ludicrous fines if you got caught importing M-rated games from the US.

Not that I find this argument in favor of censorship any less ridiculous than any other I've heard over the years.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9vqHKc6PU

Secular Talk set's it straight.

This is intolerable, we can only wait and see how they try to pull this stunt here in the USA.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Its dumb, but at the end of the day its just throwing away profits and giving it to digital downloading. If people can't get it in stores, they go online. If they can't get it online, they pirate. This has been the way of gaming, and this is how it will stay. Besides, Lord GabeN won't let anyone take games off of his client for silly reasons. <3
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Mother ****** why can't these idiots stop pulling stupid **** for one single day.

A self described Cultural Marxist, changed the wiki page of the entry on cultural marxism to have it redirect to this instead.

Previously, it looked like so. Have I said "these people need to be stopped at any cost" yet, or do these topics at hand say it enough? They are doing their best to rewrite history, and how people see them, it just ****** happened, I remember how this page looked myself damn it.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Channel Tree News -UVA-

Post by Triert »

So, UVA, what a mess.

You know, here's the problem. Right now people have a "guilty before proven innocent" attitude towards men right now. Anyone remember the central park five? Who ended up innocent? This incident caused the fraternities to shut down until 2015, and that's not where the real damage is going to come in from.

The more false rape accusations, and the more people go about trying to pin rape as a womans issue is going to make it harder unsurprisingly for people to take a rape seriously. The witch hunts against men, looking for a rapists, aren't working.

People say "they let their manfeels get in the way of fact checking" despite the fact that people are crazy enough to tell others that you should never question a woman. This hurts everyone, and let this be an example.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Channel Tree News -Woman removed from Tekken-

Post by Triert »

Neogaf users have taken to complaining and targeting the producer of tekken over his choice of artistic freedom.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sj1aq3
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/statu ... 0961785856
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nhog5u

He has chosen to remove this character from the game in USA releases.

Seeing his Omega option, I personally think this will only bring forward arguments of "OMG THEY ARE TAKING WOMEN OUT OF VIDEO GAMES NOW"
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: CTN -Woman removed from Tekken- (AFK)

Post by EvilPinkamina »

At least now i know I'm going to need utorrent again
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Re: CTN - Michigan EMT's allowed to discrminiate

Post by wic. »

Never been more proud to live in Michigan than I am now. :^)
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Thank god. This is really helping me with narrowing down my college choices.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Not sure i understand ENTIRELY but this far from a good thing.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Not at all
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

"Now we return to genuine social justice"

Just in case that's what you have a hard time understanding Keaton, this is social justice that is clear cut, and something we can all agree should be removed because it's practice in of itself is wrong.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

You hit the nail on the head, thanks
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Channel Tree News - #MetalGate

Post by Triert »

http://www.deathmetal.org/article/metalgate/

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q ... e&src=typd

http://www.servileinsurrection.com/2014 ... ocial.html

Gee, Metal and Games are under attack by cultural critics? Where have we heard that before, oh yeah, try last decade, and the decade before that one.

A Cultural War on Metalheads has begun, by the same types that GamerGate is currently at war with.

How many more cultures will these people piss off before they look in the mirror and see a Templar.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Channel Tree News - Greenpeace

Post by Triert »

1. Of the three languages Peru speaks, they chose none.
2. The President of Peru isn't even allowed to walk here.
3. I'm especially salty because my entire family comes from Peru.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

yeah i saw **** about this, screw them

ive heard theyre like peta 2.0
help me
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

It feels like greenpeace took a crap in my house and told me I can use it for fertilizer.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Channel Tree News - Valve Removes Hatred from Steam

Post by Triert »